Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Administrator
57,460 Posts
What do you consider normal? There have been 115 different people on the forums yesterday and today, from the members list sorted by last activity.

There is a truism about forums...

most folks just read for their enjoyment, but for whatever reason, don't feel like they have enough info to help a poster, and simply don't post....

If there are some "lurkers out there" reading this thread, please step up and let us hear from you.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Lurker

Yup been lurking. Facebook responds quicker than here as far as questions go. Yes a lot of long timers have left here each I have talked too has their own reasons. I for one missed the forum. was off for three years due to work and my password not letting me back in. Read a short post by John and fixe it in a jiffy.

I have noticed when a question or request is posed More non-answers tend to shut the post down than actual real answers.

those answering on facebook refer to glowing docs. I am back here now looking for wiring diagrams.

·
Administrator
24,368 Posts
What do you consider normal? There have been 115 different people on the forums yesterday and today, from the members list sorted by last activity.
But I can remember when there were several hundred and sometime 1000 users online.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
I don’t know what caused the downfall of posters but here is what I do know.

Goldwingfacts.com does not have a rally to bring members together.
Goldwingfacts.com does not have a forum mascot.
Goldwingfacts.com does not have the kanwings wild rhinos group.
Goldwingfacts.com has lost many prolific posters that have moved to another forum and then on to face book.
Goldwingfacts.com still has a dedicated group of folks that help as much as possible and are holding the forum’s head above water. This group is here, day and night, to help both the new and seasoned wing riders. You know who you are and I appreciate you being here.

I hope we’re not too late to change directions.

·
Administrator
24,368 Posts
I don’t know what caused the downfall of posters but here is what I do know.

Goldwingfacts.com does not have a rally to bring members together.
Goldwingfacts.com does not have a forum mascot.
Goldwingfacts.com does not have the kanwings wild rhinos group.
Goldwingfacts.com has lost many prolific posters that have moved to another forum and then on to face book.
Goldwingfacts.com still has a dedicated group of folks that help as much as possible and are holding the forum’s head above water. This group is here, day and night, to help both the new and seasoned wing riders. You know who you are and I appreciate you being here.

I hope we’re not too late to change directions.
We sort of still have a rally, https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/3-events/664266-nasr-12-galena-illinois-june-18th-19th-20th-2019-a.html also the midwest M&G every labor day weekend, info on that for this year soon I hope.
We had a mascot, don't know where he went.
The rhinos were a pretty small group in the grand scheme.
I don't get the attraction to facebook.

·
Registered
226 Posts
But I can remember when there were several hundred and sometime 1000 users online.
Was this before or after Steve sold the forum?

Have there been any additions to the Bikers Workshop since Steve left?

A forum specific to product reviews would be helpful. A list of all of the various accessories in one place with links to reviews by users that have them would encourage posting.

·
Registered
226 Posts
We sort of still have a rally, https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/3-events/664266-nasr-12-galena-illinois-june-18th-19th-20th-2019-a.html also the midwest M&G every labor day weekend, info on that for this year soon I hope.
We had a mascot, don't know where he went.
The rhinos were a pretty small group in the grand scheme.
I don't get the attraction to facebook.
The rally is not a Goldwingfacts rally anymore see https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/13-nassir-meet-n-greet-forum/621777-nasr-11-info-north-american-summer-rally.html

The mascot was last seen in North Carolina three years ago as reported by jobe05 whose last activity date is listed as N/A. https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/289523-hobo-s-thread-88.html

facebook has the advantage of being phone friendly with its own app. facebook also has unlimited photo storage. The forum has a 10 MB limit for attachments for the free accounts (I have hit 6.3 MB with 33 attachments) which can be filled with 3 or 4 pictures posted full size. Facebook also has some moderately addicting games. Unfortunately, it also has a lot of propaganda and fake information that people (and apparently Russian bots) like to share. Facebook makes it very easy to send information to specific people (just include their name in the response). Facebook can also be used to log in to other places including Goldwingfacts.com

·
Administrator
24,368 Posts
Was this before or after Steve sold the forum?

Before

Have there been any additions to the Bikers Workshop since Steve left?

No, I don't know if anyone has access to be able to do that.

A forum specific to product reviews would be helpful. A list of all of the various accessories in one place with links to reviews by users that have them would encourage posting.

That's a something to think about.
Thanks for your input.

·
Toolcraft4100
378 Posts
I am more of a lurker than a participant because my automotive/motorcycle/goldwing knowledge is limited to my personal experience which may or may not be correct. Whenever I have attempted to answer a question a better answer comes along later. And my comments are seldom responded to. But I'm cool with all that.
Seems like alot of the guys who post on this forum are experts and guys who have done multiple builds. Guys with cash to do cool stuff and customize. I think (or assume, or imagine) that you venerable rider/wrenchers are not being replaced by younger guys who are developing the skills and cred that you guys have.

Another observation is that you guys really stress troubleshooting and diagnosing mechanical and ridability issues. Seems like alot of guys just want to pour in some seafoam or replace a part.
Guys who want to restore, ride and maintain a big adventure-touring bike may be a disappearing breed.
All of the above are just my personal thoughts.

·
Administrator
57,460 Posts
The rally is not a Goldwingfacts rally anymore see https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/13-nassir-meet-n-greet-forum/621777-nasr-11-info-north-american-summer-rally.html

The mascot was last seen in North Carolina three years ago as reported by jobe05 whose last activity date is listed as N/A. https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/289523-hobo-s-thread-88.html

facebook has the advantage of being phone friendly with its own app. facebook also has unlimited photo storage. The forum has a 10 MB limit for attachments for the free accounts (I have hit 6.3 MB with 33 attachments) which can be filled with 3 or 4 pictures posted full size. Facebook also has some moderately addicting games. Unfortunately, it also has a lot of propaganda and fake information that people (and apparently Russian bots) like to share. Facebook makes it very easy to send information to specific people (just include their name in the response). Facebook can also be used to log in to other places including Goldwingfacts.com

As of this very moment, as I type, the NASR event, has changed back to this forum.

Lopeha was tasked with writing to that effect, and just sent Halfling a PM on the NAGF forum maybe 30 minutes ago.

The current coordinators, have been working with a major group of interested attendees, and over the last 3 weeks have been using Facebook Messenger to converse on this issue.

I will be posting to the change as soon as I can. ( guess I did already, huh? )

The name is going to be changed from Rally to whatever the Attendees vote on at Galena, IL Meet 'n Greet

see? I dun changed the name, it is NOT a rally ( vendors ), it is a Meeting of our friends.... and if Hobo has been lost, we can bring him back... the last I remember, he took a ride north with one of the Attendees at Seneca Rocks, WVA.

Facebook is sooo easy to use with cellphones, that it has supplanted the use of PCs/Laptops with a vast majority of the Internet users today.

This is our new Facebook link, so that all new info can be posted simultaneously here and on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/events/209167053083150/

.All of you who are using Facebook, please go to that link and post your interesting the change to this forum, and also if you can go to the next Meet 'n Greet in Galena, IL.

Thanks,
John

·
Just one of the guys
4,774 Posts
The last I remember seeing Hobo was in Indiana at the auction. He went to Carl (Galaxyhunter) who has been taking him on some sightseeing trips.

I do check in here daily but seldom see anything to which I feel I have a useful reply.

·
Administrator
57,460 Posts
The last I remember seeing Hobo was in Indiana at the auction. He went to Carl (Galaxyhunter) who has been taking him on some sightseeing trips.

I do check in here daily but seldom see anything to which I feel I have a useful reply.

Now that you mention that Doug, I also recall that Carl took Hobo home with him to see some new country.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,026 Posts
Dennis, thanks for bringing this this up. It is a little early to write the obit, but you have to wonder... I think a good stat would be how many new people are joining the site. There are definitely fewer contributors today to this site today that when I joined back in 09. The only thing that will keep it going it the community and how we respond to each other, kind of a golden rule...

·
Administrator
1,112 Posts
If there is a good article out right now or a discussion board, I can host it in the homepage for you guys. Normally this is done automatically when there's new GoldWing articles from motorcycle.com but looks like the person doing that is missing out.

Lee

·
Premium Member
3,757 Posts
I'm with Mike,Dave and Doug. I use face book for family and friends, and the forums, whether it's bikes or firearms for information and like-minded conversation. This place has been hot and cold over the years, but it's still the 1st place I joined and probably the last one I'll leave.

·
Administrator
24,368 Posts
21 - 40 of 95 Posts