Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Administrator
57,468 Posts
Off Topic sounds OK but how/why would it differ from miscellaneous forum?

Actually, it won't, other than, special rules might be mentioned??

but those rules would not be any different than the Common Sense things we do now.

However, the benefit would be, that sub-forum would be restricted to a single topic.
I just created a special thread in Miscellaneous.

IF, it goes well, we will create the Sub-Forum

Users choice.

·
Administrator
21,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #82

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
This posting is to be moved to the future" off topic' lol

When it coms to marijuana or cannabis as is called I have not much of an opinion in the matter. I have never used it and most likely never will.
But I have a friend that has grown kids who are using the weed.
He, the parent, seems to believe that some will abuse it but most will just use occasionally as enjoyment as we do alcohol.

There is a documentary on Netflix called Murder Mountain and the legalization of the weed in California- Humboldt County.
( I went across it in my travels 2-3 years ago)
While the film supports the idea of legal pot the viewer could see what the habitant growers did to that area. Trash all over the place. Someone in the film says the mountain should be called "Trash Mountain"
Then everyone drive around with a bongo in his hands.
I wouldn't want someone like that sharing the road with me. Am I for legalization of pot? Still dont care one way or the other

·
Administrator
57,468 Posts
the new Experimental Thread will resolve that question...

it is easy to say, " we will never, ever........... " and refuse to bend rules...

IF, the new thread stays clean, and on topic, then we modify the Rules.

I am looking forward, if we allow a clean discussion of guns, our readership participation will increase.

·
Administrator
57,468 Posts
This posting is to be moved to the future" off topic' lol

When it coms to marijuana or cannabis as is called I have not much of an opinion in the matter. I have never used it and most likely never will.
But I have a friend that has grown kids who are using the weed.
He, the parent, seems to believe that some will abuse it but most will just use occasionally as enjoyment as we do alcohol.

There is a documentary on Netflix called Murder Mountain and the legalization of the weed in California- Humboldt County.
( I went across it in my travels 2-3 years ago)
While the film supports the idea of legal pot the viewer could see what the habitant growers did to that area. Trash all over the place. Someone in the film says the mountain should be called "Trash Mountain"
Then everyone drive around with a bongo in his hands.
I wouldn't want someone like that sharing the road with me. Am I for legalization of pot? Still dont care one way or the other

you just raised a reason for an "Off Topic" sub-forum....
had not even considered that might be of interest for discussion.

Personally, it needs to be legalized for medical reasons, and as of Jan 1st, it is in Oklahoma... we now have special pharma outlets for it....

·
Administrator
24,378 Posts
I am looking forward, if we allow a clean discussion of guns, our readership participation will increase.
Certainly less volatile than religion and politics.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Certainly less volatile than religion and politics.
It is likely to quickly convert to politics. To make it work you probably need to put in a rule that says you will never discuss gun control laws or mass shootings.

Topics should be restricted to subjects like

Reviews of particular models of guns/gun accessories
Results of gun competitions you have competed in
Questions on how you can improve your accuracy when target shooting
Best weapon for hunting a particular type of game
Questions on where you can buy item XXX
I found a really great buy on XXX at YYY
Possibly questions about regulations such as I will be going to Location ZZZ, are there any local regulations I need to worry about

·
Administrator
24,378 Posts

·
Administrator
57,468 Posts
It is likely to quickly convert to politics. To make it work you probably need to put in a rule that says you will never discuss gun control laws or mass shootings.

That is easy enough,with the current rules...
no need to allow us to drift into the Fake Media news element of Farcebook

if a post shows up mentioning those things, it will simply disappear without comment.

·
Administrator
57,468 Posts
Time to kick the 'Obit' into orbit.....

in the last two days, we have had more activity than our sister, *.Docs

just today, since midnight, we have had 3 times the activity...

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
This has entertained me for a while even though I SHOULD be doing other stuff today.
This site and friends that I made and still see were absolutely great when I had my 88.
When I bought my '12 a few years ago there was a lot more info for it on another site. Now that site mostly has talk about the 2018 instead of my dinosaur '12. LOL
This site has more people that have gotten 1800's in the last couple of years.
So if I can help anyone with a 1500 or 1800 i might be able to.

See you at NASR12!!!!!!

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
I returned for three reasons.. one, John asked me to when he came for a visit. Two, Flylow PM'd me at Christmas to see how I was doing. And three, I wanted to stop in and see how many of the good guys were still here and hopefully not the troublesome ones.

When I got in to respond to Flylow, I looked around and liked what I saw except the traffic was down.

I had noticed that activity in all forums rarely ran off the Active Topics page per 24 hr period.

I have heard from several members that the reason they left more than anything was the commercial nature of the forums did not have the soul that Steve and Wexy had. And I'll admit I miss that.

But beyond that, members leaving tends to cause more members leaving and after a while, it's difficult to hold the interest of those coming in or staying.

Over the years, this forum had several things going for it and generally people were here for one or more of them.

Technical help
Broad topic interest
Humor and fun
Comradery
Gatherings
Verbal bantering between members

I found it interesting that gripers often poo pooed the segments they weren't intersted in as detracting from what they thought it should be about.

Steve and Wexy did a good job of staying out of most of it and letting the thing grow.

When I was in it before I stayed logged in most of the day and got notices about new posts. Now with the slower traffic I just check in several times a day to see if anything is going on.

Personally I have no interest in feeding the rich data harvesters with my content and have very few reasons to need responses in real time.

But I'm glad you guys are here and I plan to hang around and entertain my interests like before.

Thing is it's hard to hit all the items on my list but the closer we can get to that, the more we are likely to attract the kinds of interesting people we now miss.

Personally we might be happy for these slower more comfortable times than when we had the list of members online at the bottom. I thought that was useful but might not be wise during these times.

·
Administrator
57,468 Posts
Adding the two new forums at Top Level has boosted our daily post count quite a bit...
it also seems to be influencing more posts in the regular forums.

Hope that this continues.

I got a neat tip from Rudy today, about "Threema", a secure SMS app....
I installed it, and pushed some buttons down Atlanta way.... :)

https://threema.ch/en

81 - 95 of 95 Posts