Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

an aspencade air suspension control on an interstate?
i have the opportunity to get the control box cheap and wondered if there was anything else needed or wether this was an 'all in one' unit and nothing else was used?
Is there any advantage of having the controls as opposed to a manual pump?

Many thanks for any replies to someone that is just learning about 'wings'

Regards Rob

PS how on earth do you manage to write in this box without putting a smiley of some sort in first (hence the silly face at the beginning)

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

you will also need all the air hoses an fork caps plus anything with the system . its a fun thing to do too. i just use my 20 usd hand pump from progessive spring a lot simpler and less to worry about . just my 2 cents worth----

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:I don't think it would be worth the trouble you have to go through to install the complete system. Why not keep it simple and just carry a small hand pump. Never use compressed air to air up the front suspension as you will blow out the seals like I did several years ago. Later on I read in the '80-'83 Honda GoldWing Service Manual not to use compressed air for the forks. I learned the hard way!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Nothing wrong with compressed air if you have a pressure regulator on your compressor but if not I sure agree. The air space inside the forks is so small that it doesn't take much air to shoot the pressure up, and remember you don't want to go much over 10psi.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Nothing wrong with compressed air if you have a pressure regulator on your compressor but if not I sure agree. The air space inside the forks is so small that it doesn't take much air to shoot the pressure up, and remember you don't want to go much over 10psi.
I think the 1100 book says more like 20 psi max

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Depends on the barometric pressure at the time of inflation and the ambient temperature. Of course there's been a lot of devaluation of air pressure in the past twenty years, something to do with the ozone layer and global warming.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I still can't work out how to write in here without a smiley :baffled:

many thanks for all the replies I think I will give it a miss and save the hassle

ATB Rob

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I have just realised the smiley i have to put in to activate the text box doesn't appear

Strange things these computers :stumped:

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
exavid wrote:
As far as I can recall the gl1500 max for the forks is 6psi, so it's easy to blow the seals with a compressor.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
exavid wrote:
:waving:Per the owners manual and the '80-83 GoldWing Service Manual the fork pressure for all GL1100's is 14-21 psi. It also states "refill the forks with air manually (all except Aspencade).

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

My Dad found a neat 12v Sports pump at a garage sale one day for $2. Its yellow and flat about 7x9x3. It has a digital tire pressure gauge thats programmable as to how many pounds you want in you tire. Just push the + or - button till it shows the pounds you want and turn it on. It automatically shuts off every time. I've used it numerous times on tires and checked it with a standard tire gauge and its right on the money. I used it to fill the forks and rear without any problems. Really neat item and it fits the saddle bag perfect,you may want to look for. Garage sales or ebay would be a good place to look. JR

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

I go out of my way to look for interstates for there simplicity and lighter weight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.