Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my new old GL on the road and from the start the clutch was a bit weak feeling. The sweet spot would kind of nudge the bike forward but it needed abnormal RPMs to actually get it moving. It only got worse. I drove it around a bit to ensure it shifted through all the gears, which it did...and over time at stop signs/lights the clutch faded and had me sitting at the last couple stops with the clutch lever all the way out and no grab. This was really embarrassing to say the least. Could only get it moving with a little push and high RPMs. It would now and then do it between gear changes as well (high RPMs, no grab). There were no mechanical noises like grinding, clunking etc so I don't think it's the gearbox.

So is my clutch burnt up, or do I need to adjust the crap out of it? What is the proper way to adjust it?

Nothing feels worse than sitting in the exit for Wal-Mart yelling at your bike while being honked at because you can't move. :sadguy:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
Well, going after the cable would be the most logical move. Because it's the cheapest. So hope for the best and get started.
If that doesn't work, you'll have to get at the clutch pack itself. I suspect you'll find a destroyed damper plate.

·
Administrator
27,936 Posts
Does it have any free play in the lever? Should have 10 to 20mm at the end of the lever. If not, adjust at the lever end unless you run out of adjustment there then adjust at the bottom end.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By 10 to 20mm at the lever are you saying when I pull it it should have slack until it begins to pull the clutch? Is this to be sure it's fully letting the clutch back in? I've been sidetracked by installing my new fork ears and headlight but I'm jumping on that cable right after.

Thanks

·
Administrator
27,936 Posts
By 10 to 20mm at the lever are you saying when I pull it it should have slack until it begins to pull the clutch? Is this to be sure it's fully letting the clutch back in? I've been sidetracked by installing my new fork ears and headlight but I'm jumping on that cable right after.

Thanks
Yes and yes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay I adjusted it and tried to get the amount of slack and ended up getting the opposite. Now instead of slipping it is real hard into first from a stop and I can't seem to feather it at all. I am glad its not a bad clutch though it shifts and has grab all the way through the power band.

·
Administrator
27,936 Posts
You may have too much free play in it. Any free play at all is good enough as long as there is a small amount and you keep it adjusted so the play is always there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll mess with it tomorrow in a parking lot and get it dialed in. It's not far from being perfect, just need it to have some forgiveness. First gear from a stop is rugged no matter how I let the clutch in and makes a solid groan noise for a second. Perhaps I'm just a caveman and not used to it yet -____-

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Was going to say I never tasted one so couldn't help. Good you got it figured.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.