Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Went to a Gathering early this morn.Passed 6 Harley's,1 BMW and 2 goldwings........

.........Not a one returned my wave.It may be getting old,I think I may turn the radio up a bit, Feet on cruise boards an keep on keepin on........

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Nah - it is never old. Some do it, some don't. Number of reasons I guess. I have seen guys wave at me just out of the corner of my eye as I was more focused on a traffic event and felt - "oops sorry I missed ya". And have seen others do the same. Then again I've had whole rides where every rider and I exchanged waves.

I've also seen some badass and wannabes look straight at me waving and just stare me down like they're the cow's snot. Could give a RA about them.

Wouldn't take it personal.

To me it is a general sign of appreciative respect of a fellow rider. So I try to do it when ever I can and notice someone.

Funny thing about waving. I remember when I lived in Massachusetts there seemed to be some kind of general motorcycle brand dissing that went on - Harleys would't wave at rice. Rice wouildn't wave at anyone, etc... Although some - like me would wave at all - we were few. When I did my first cross country in Winter 2002 across the south I actually noticed an increase in the frequency of universal waving as I traveled East to West - seemed brand didn't matter. I find that mostly true in California where I live now. In general most people just appreciate that you ride. There is a bike for everyone and rider are the only ones that truly understand riders (and sometimes not even then - :cheeky1:). JMHO

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Don't matter if they wave back or not. I always wave, even at the scoots, they get a kick out of it and suddenly they are waving back big time. It's all about riding not the ride.

·
Premium Member
20,619 Posts
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
Don't matter if they wave back or not. I always wave, even at the scoots, they get a kick out of it and suddenly they are waving back big time. It's all about riding not the ride.
I'm with you there Bob! ;)It is all about sharing the riding experience! :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Christine and I wave to all. It's a sign of respect and acknowledgement between riders and their machines. I don't care if they wave back or not but I do feel a bit bad when I just missed the chance to because I didn't see someone. And if I am occupied with both hands, I nod my head.

It's like saying a peasant "hello" to someone on the street as you make eye contact and pass by one and other.

Respect - what goes around comes around.

Tim and Christine.

(I'm doing it to you tight now! See... :waving:)

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I've been waving for more than 40 years. Newer riders may not want to let go of a grip, some are holding clutch in, some don't see you in time, some are shifting, some are just rude [i won't join their attitude].

I still use the 2 fingersout & downwards for clear roads ahead & 1 fingerthe same wayfor problems ahead.

It's a courtesy and tells on the experienced riders.

Many newer riders are just friendly and you'll see them going :waving:. That's OK, too.

I was at a stoplight yesterday, when a wing pulled right up next to me. I nodded, but he just turned his head forward & ignored me. :? Maybe he was constipated or something. No problem at all.

I'll always be a waver ... unless I'm clutching, constipated or some other good reason. :action:

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Popeye wrote:
I've been waving for more than 40 years. Newer riders may not want to let go of a grip, some are holding clutch in, some don't see you in time, some are shifting, some are just rude [i won't join their attitude].

I still use the 2 fingersout & downwards for clear roads ahead & 1 fingerthe same wayfor problems ahead.

Many newer riders are just friendly and you'll see them going :waving:. That's OK, too.

I was at a stoplight yesterday, when a wing pulled right up next to me. I nodded, but he just turned his head forward & ignored me. :? Maybe he was constipated or something. No problem at all.

I'll always be a waver ... unless I'm clutching, constipated or some other good reason. :action:
Maybe your wing was much nicer?

·
Premium Member
67,301 Posts
imported post

Wave at them all I say and forget the ones that don't..

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

redeyes88 wrote:
Popeye wrote:

Maybe your wing was much nicer?
Well, it is pure BLACK !How to get 'nicer' than THAT?? :)

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
imported post

By driving the fastest color = RED! :waving:

·
Administrator
27,777 Posts
imported post

It is a strange thing. Last Saturday I got frustrated because a lot of people didn't return my wave but today There were probably more bikes on the road and I only got snubbed once or twice, even a scooter rider waved and they never do so I wasn't ready for it.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

I always wave. And most times I don't pay much attention to whether they wave back or not.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

The only thing getting old about the " WAVE " Are all these recentpost's about not getting the " WAVE" :cheeky1: :action:

Here You go :waving:- lol

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
I always wave. And most times I don't pay much attention to whether they wave back or not.
I agree with Broke Winger ... Take Care - Jim

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

Jimmie Rabbit :waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::action:

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

Leaving a gas stop in PA. on Friday, a trucker gave us a toot on his horn and I was able to give him a toot back on my Stebel air horn. That gave him a big smile. Now that was cool. :):)

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Talking with others last night & we all admit to waving even when we are in our cages, :waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::action:

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

I used to think waving was fun. "Hey, we're riding motorcycles, yea!" In the Shenandoah Valley, there are plenty of people out for Sunday drives and my arm was constantly up and down. No more. Its passe. I do, however, still wave at motorcyclists that are obviously on long trips.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

If I see them I wave. Have days where they wave back, and some days where there are a few that don't. Doesn't eally matter, it is respect for a fellow rider.

I have also noticed that it seems to be a regional thing. Don't know why, but there are areas where the guys will wave and others where you are invisible. Don't stop me from being sociable.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.