Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I am a "new" Goldwing owner and have had my 1500 SE for just two weeks now.
Apologies if this isn't the right forum, but I guess my question is slightly technical since it is related to "technique" !
My issue is....is there a technique for getting a 1500 up on its main stand?
My technique so far has been to stand on the left side of the bike (facing forward), push the main stand down with my right foot, hold the pillion grab handle with my right hand, hold the handle bar with my left hand, then.....heave!
I find it quite hard to get the bike up on its stand, so much so that yesterday I tore a muscle in my right calf and now can't walk!! I must be doing something wrong, or am I destined to use the side stand from now on!
For information, I'm 54, 6 feet, weigh 145 pounds, and like to think of myself as "reasonably" fit!
Any help or advice gratefully received!

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
You will need to get as much of your weight solidly on the center stand lever standing full weight on top of it as you lift up and rearward. It sounds like you have the correct lift positions. If that fails, there is a different center stand designed to be driven on to and off from. It is simply shorter and makes a manual lift much easier but it also doesn't get the rear tire off the ground. It could also make the cycle easier to be bumped off the center stand, both intentionally and unintentionally. You also can't just get down there and rotate the rear tire to check air pressure.

Enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I too had trouble , but a tip from the forum helped me practice, I put a 1/2 piece of plywood under the tire + the above video.....made all the difference in the world...a little practice and I didnt need the wood anymore...good luck

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
The most important thing you can do is make sure that both feet of the center stand are touching the ground, like in the video. Many people fear the bike will fall away from them and fail to get the bike upright before putting on the center stand. Have someone stand on the other side of the bike so you will not have a fear of it going away from you, and then put it on the center stand. Practice makes perfect.:waving:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Seems to me the operative word is to push down far more than you heave upward. I have gotten to the point where I can put my 1500 on the center stand with pushing down hard, and using one finger while pulling up. Did the same with my 1100.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
It is also imprtant to have a good set of heavy boots on before trying to get a 1500 on the center stand. Tennis shoes are going to hurt like heck.

gumbyred

·
Master Sgt. USAF Retired.
246 Posts
Yep! Ride-off center stand for the GL1500. Several of the online retailers sell them. Not real cheap, but worth their weight in gold. Easy to install...you don't even get off of the bike to put it on, or take it off of the stand. It's one of those products that "really works as advertised."
Norm

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Also make sure the transmission is in Neutral before you attempt that maneuver. It will go up on the center stand while in gear but its a heck of a lot easier if its in neutral.

·
Large Member
788 Posts
I've always done it with the idea that you are trying to drive the center stand right through the cement. In other words, if you're lifting, you're doing it wrong. Just start by resting it on the center stand's two feet then shove them through the cement with your leg. The bike practically jumps up from there. At least that's my experience. It also helps that I started on scooters and using their center stands. The wing is heavier but the principal is the same.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I put mine up on the stand at least twice a day, easy.

Steps:
1) Grease the centerstand! --Works W-A-Y easier than if it's rusty; this is a good 10 minute investment of your time.
2) Put full (59psi) into the rear shocks, so as to have the bike lifted as high as possible, and in-turn requiring less lift per the centerstand.
3) Lower center stand until it just contacts the ground, typically on the left side... Next "center" the bike side-to-side until Both feet of the centerstand contact the ground.
4) Using hard-soled boots, rest your right heal on the pad to the center stand; your right hand on the passenger handle; and left hand on the left handle bar --Using soft soled shoes is painful.
5) Put your FULL weight onto the Pad, while using your hands merely to stabilize yourself... It's your body weight that will lift the bike, not your muscles. My bike typically jumps up so fast that it sometimes skids backwards while doing a short front wheelie. Don't worry about it falling over, so long as you had both of the center stand feet on the ground to start.
6) Raise the kickstand --This is a safety, so that you don't accidently crush your foot when you later lower the bike back down from the center stand.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I use my reverse to help be get mine up, no pushing or lifting required

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Pushing down harf with foot is critical. But, rather than 'lifting' straight up, 'lift' up AND back!

I position myself behind center stand as well - around where the pillion is. Pretty easy- and I am old too....

·
killer driller
781 Posts
I've been riding a wing for about two years now,and have been struggling with putting it on the center stand,after watching this video and practiceing 5 or 6 times I know it will only get easier,thank you

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
It is also imprtant to have a good set of heavy boots on before trying to get a 1500 on the center stand. Tennis shoes are going to hurt like heck.

gumbyred
I can put my 1500 up on the center stand wearing slippers with hardly any effort or pain.

My method is to use the left foot. I know it can be done with the right but once you learn to do it with the left foot you will never go back.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,695 Posts
The most important thing you can do is make sure that both feet of the center stand are touching the ground, like in the video. Many people fear the bike will fall away from them and fail to get the bike upright before putting on the center stand. Have someone stand on the other side of the bike so you will not have a fear of it going away from you, and then put it on the center stand. Practice makes perfect.:waving:

This point right here is the single biggest problem. Both center stand feet must be on the ground BEFORE you try to pull it up.

Place right heel on center stand peg, straighten right leg putting all of your weight on that leg, pull backwards and up, on the rear seat handle (not just upwards).

It is the momentum of the bike traveling backwards that carries it up onto the center stand.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
I am similar size (5'10" and 160) and find it very easy, so it may just be a technique.
*Set it on the side stand.
*Be sure in neutral/also not reverse
*Step one foot on center stand and apply a little pressure while I push the bike off the side stand to allow both feet of the center stand to touch.
*Right hand on grab handle, left hand on handlebar
*Stand on just my one foot while lifting with rightshoulder a bit (can leave other foot lightly on ground if you fel more balanced). Almost like just straigtening my back.

The first time I did it I thought it would be like my old 1100 wing. It (the 1500) ended up sliding backwards on the concrete a good foot because of my heave.
Now I have to remember and do it slower so my coffee does not slosh out of the lid holes.

·
93 Posts
Great video - i was having trouble with my GL1200 and came up stairs and found this video - went back to the garage and it was up in 3 try's - 20 seconds - THANKYOU

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
Good advice here

I've always done it with the idea that you are trying to drive the center stand right through the cement. In other words, if you're lifting, you're doing it wrong. Just start by resting it on the center stand's two feet then shove them through the cement with your leg. The bike practically jumps up from there. At least that's my experience. It also helps that I started on scooters and using their center stands. The wing is heavier but the principal is the same.
I can put my 1500 up on the center stand wearing slippers with hardly any effort or pain.

My method is to use the left foot. I know it can be done with the right but once you learn to do it with the left foot you will never go back.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
When I had my KZ bikes back in the late 70's to early 80's, I remember the Kawasaki Voyager used a 2 step process for the center stand.

Would have nice for Honda to think of something along those lines.

http://youtu.be/ttSA7SaW-dA

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.