Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

...to getting the front brake disk bolts out without snaping one or more. They come with the red "locktight" and in removing them I snaped one.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
imported post

Sometimes a little heat helps, Also an airimpact gun normally does the trick without breaking the bolts.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

as maddog suggests, sometimes hitting with a propane torch and then as it cools blast it with some wd-40.... the expansion and contraction of the deffering metals will case it to free up

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

I'm in agreement with Maddog355...an impact wrench isa miracle worker...and a time saver...and if you cut your own grass (which I do because I'm poor), it makes changing lawnmower blades a snap...

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
imported post

Hot enough you can't hold your finger on it but not sizzling hot and the lock tite will be pliable and turn loose. Cool em off and the lock titeresets again.Air or elec. impact also works pretty well:waving:Keno

·
Honda Guru
2,054 Posts
imported post

The bolts come from Honda with a red thread lock applied but it's not as strong as Locktite RED. Whenever I reinstall a set of disc bolts I use just a mini-drop of the BLUE Locktite instead. Honda calls for the bolts to be replaced after every application but I don't feel that it's necessary if you apply a locking agent... like Locktite BLUE.

But you've got to get them off. A brand new 6mm allen socket that fits tight is a first thing to have. Then maybe a little heat from a propane torch applied to the external threads...but on the 1800 wheel it's not easy to apply heat to the wheel/threads. Normally a good strong hand will take care of removal but my favorite method is using a hand impact driver and a very large hammer:weightlifter:

Reassembly should include a torque wrench!

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

What is the torque spec?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

rhjiii46 wrote:
What is the torque spec?
The proper torque is 15 foot pounds. Use brand new bolts, they are designed to be stressed only once. Use lock-tite, this is one place it is mandatory, the brake disc bolts will work loose without it.

Torque the bolts in two steps in a criss-cross manner, Torque to 10 foot pounds first, then go back over them with the final torque, also in a criss cross manner.

Kit

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
imported post

great info,i'll need to check mine,removed with 1/2'' impact at 500ft lb...zing,and reinstalled with my 1/4'' impact at 60ft lb. in the spring,never used new bolts or any loctite.
best to check mine over again me thinks.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

A wise man would never re-use those screws.

Unfortunately a lot of dealers also re-use them, a good reason for doing your own maintenance.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

the reason for useing new bolts is that the bolts strech when being torqued and then never go back to orignal lenght. so best to use new bolts and blue lock tite. also never use lock tite of any kind on screws that touch the plastic. this will cause the plastic to melt and the piece being attached can fall off . this is experience talking

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.