Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Administrator
26,336 Posts
I though that I have two bikes 78 79 both shift the same way wish there some way to find out with out having to take the motor apart the 79 motor is out of the bike and setting on my bench With the front cover off where I can look at the shifter but that not was productive because it shifts the same way maybe both bikes have the same problem
The gears have to be turning for it to shift properly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have working been working on it on a stand and shifting it and so I put on the ground and drove it on the highway or in my neighborhood and it shifted the same way it did on the stand where is the spring that puts it back in the cent.er after you shift

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It shifts I think as it should it will shift down and shift up and engage but that is it

·
Administrator
26,336 Posts
where is the spring that puts it back in the cent.er after you shift
If you have the front cover off the engine you can see the spring around the shifter shaft where it comes out of the housing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have not taken the cover off the one that I am working on but the other motor that is out and on my bench I can tried shift it so I can see how it should shift and shifts the same

·
Registered
450 Posts
Stationary you will only get 1st and 2nd, the gearbox shafts need to be turning to get above 2nd

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I drove it that’s when I found out how it shifted I thought that may have to be on the ground and rolling to shift to the other gears but no but it scared me with how much power it has

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The clutch adjustment I mentioned was it does not relish till the bottom and seams that it does not relish when not ingaged

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If it is difficult to take off from a standing start and you can't get neutral it is possible you have an issue where you only have 4th and 5th gears available.
I am thinking that I will have to check the inside just hoping I would not have to the motor was stuck when I got but broke it and got 120 or better except one it was 115 no water in oil when changed it could that cause this problem

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,851 Posts
It shifts I think as it should it will shift down and shift up and engage but that is it

Barry,
there is a guy in Edgefield about 10 minutes from you that could be of great help to you.
Sean Burch
(803) 637-9507

He and the town of Edgefield hosted a big Rally for us several years ago.
great guy.

[email protected]

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Barry,
there is a guy in Edgefield about 10 minutes from you that could be of great help to you.
Sean Burch
(803) 637-9507

He and the town of Edgefield hosted a big Rally for us several years ago.
great guy.

[email protected]

Thank you that is the best help so far

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,851 Posts
Barry has made contact with Sean Burch.
Don't know the particulars, but at least he will have some hands on Local Help.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
I though that I have two bikes 78 79 both shift the same way wish there some way to find out with out having to take the motor apart the 79 motor is out of the bike and setting on my bench With the front cover off where I can look at the shifter but that not was productive because it shifts the same way maybe both bikes have the same problem
Can I ask a dumb question Not to insult but to help, how long have you been riding?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Off and on about all my adult life not to be insulting what is your question about

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Off and on about all my adult life not to be insulting what is your question about
Just wondering about your experience and if you had the ability to know what is normal which obviously you do. I'm stumped. Unusual problem but to have two that are the same. You must be cursed. o_O

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Well that’s why I joined this forum to ask questions if I get to a point that I am stumped that’s all but I may leave if asking a question is stupid and you are right it is strange to have the same shifting pattern just wanted to check before I spent a lot of money to find out there was a kit to make it do what they were doing the man that I got these bikes from was making the 78 a cafe racer the 79 was his dads sat outside got water in the case but would spin over after I got it unstuck and had 115 to 130 psi compression but I began my build with the 78 it had no water in it and runs great if I could figure out this shifting problem hope I don’t have cursed bikes but thank you for the interest

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
521 Posts
Good on you for not being offended. It's a fair question, considering it's hard to know someone's context and background when just meeting on the Internet. ;)

Reactions: DenverWinger
21 - 40 of 80 Posts