Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
I seem to remember that the gearchange mechanism goes through the casing and the shaft can get a bit tight due to corrosion, it all needs to move free to shift properly

·
Registered
450 Posts
Forgot to say i have a 1000 engine in bits somewhere if you want anything but i am in UK

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,851 Posts
Thank you
Barry, when you just make a post saying 'thank you', we have no clue to whom you are directing that to.

Please us the REPLY button on the post you are referencing.

Not looking down at you, just saying what is typical Forum use, so it is clear to whom we are asking a question, or talking to.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
the box at the bottom of of the page is where I am supposed to answer isn’t it and then hit post reply tha what I have been doing or is there another way to reply that I have found with out knowing

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Try quote for your reply to thank.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,851 Posts
the REPLY button presents the post above your text,
the Quote Button, allows you to post Multiple Quotes and replay to each one of them all at once.

you just have to experiment with it, there is no Wrong Way, to post what you want to say...
some ways, just make it easier to interpret what or to whom you are speaking.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Barry,when you shift down and then up can you tell if the shifter returns to a position or does it stay up when you shift? When you shift up and it does not spring back down some,can you push it down just a tad and the back up to another gear,it HAS TO RETURN TO A NEUTRAL SPOT before selecting another gear upward or downward.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I will check that out when I get out there to see thank you

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,657 Posts
Does the neutral light work?

What happens if you have the bike on the center stand, in neutral and running, pull the clutch in and push the shifter down? Does it go smoothly into first or does it growl or grind? If you let the clutch out, does the rear wheel turn smoothly?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
i tested on a stand as you asked and it shift down as it should tier turned i shift it up one released the clutch nothing out of the ordinary rived motor tire spun let rpm drop and it wont shift up anymore but will shift back down but you cant wind the gears out so i thought that it had to be on the ground and moving to make shift right does the same thing its like when you shift up once you are at top gear and you are trying to get another gear but there is none there is no stall as if you go to first to fifth shifts smooth

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Yes I was trying some of the suggestions that members have given me and it did shift up but that was not running just rocking it back and forth shift it down the neutral light came on but it was not in neutral I think I need to work with it it may be stuck from sitting so long but don’t understand if my neutral switch is bad or if I have to take the motor apart

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
521 Posts
After all these posts, I still don't know what two gears you're in...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Me ether I do it goes into first them into some gear thanks to all of your all’s help from the bottom of my heart

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
when it shifts UP does the shifter stay up or does it drop back down a little,it should go back to a predert place,if it doesn’t then the spring on the inside must be broken.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts