Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
That’s good, can you do a video of how it does what it’s doing.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
i tested on a stand as you asked and it shift down as it should tier turned i shift it up one released the clutch nothing out of the ordinary rived motor tire spun let rpm drop and it wont shift up anymore but will shift back down but you cant wind the gears out so i thought that it had to be on the ground and moving to make shift right does the same thing its like when you shift up once you are at top gear and you are trying to get another gear but there is none there is no stall as if you go to first to fifth shifts smooth
It must be in a lower gear or it would not take off in taller gears,do you know who had it before you so u can ask if it was like that or if it actually just did it.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
548 Posts
Without video (and some punctuation eventually) I am lost.

Perhaps you can tell us how fast your bike is going at 3,000 RPM in each gear, that will tell us which two.

Reactions: DaveO430

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I am the beginning of this project I just got it to where I can troubleshoot the transmission have not road it on the highway it’s not legal either

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I think I would pull the front cover to access the shifting drum to check what can be seen within its workings.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Barry,
It is hard to explain and even the video below does not illustrate very well how the shifter drum is rotated. If you watch the video at about 52 seconds they will talk about a claw arm. This claw arm has a spring that holds the 2 arms inward toward each other. If the spring breaks shifting can be very erratic. There is a better video but I can't find it. Maybe some one else can find that video. It shows in more detail both up and down shifting.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
That can be seen if the front cover is off.#18( kinda ) on fisch.
huum,that could be broken or stretched?

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Here is a better video. The part you want to watch starts about 8 minutes and 30 seconds. You have to be listening because he only refers to the spring briefly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Thank you if I take a motor apart it will be the one that I have on the bench to make sure I don’t mess up but one

·
Registered
75 Posts
The suggestions given are good, I think you may either have a maladjusted shifter...the one your toe operates, or possibly internal corrosion limiting the movement of the shifter shaft. If you have two motors doing the same thing, I'm wondering if they had the same prior owner. He may well have adjust the shifters to adapt for his own use on both engines. That shifter should be close to horizontal when at rest, if not then something is preventing it.

And for pete's sake....use the period when writing. It's almost impossible to read it the way you're posting. It's like talking for five minutes without taking a breath....which nobody does(excpet for my aunt Sophie). Her teeth fell in the washing machine one day and chewed up half the load before she could get them out. 😄

·
Premium Member
1999 GL1500SE
3 Posts
A 1978 Honda gl1000
I had a 1980 Honda CB900C that had the transmission you are referring to. It had the regular 1 down 4 up shifter and then a secondary shifter for overdrive that you hit with your heel. It was really fun to ride. I don't know if they made it in a 1000 cc variety but if you find a 900 im sure you could change the jugs and get it to 1000cc.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
The suggestions given are good, I think you may either have a maladjusted shifter...the one your toe operates, or possibly internal corrosion limiting the movement of the shifter shaft. If you have two motors doing the same thing, I'm wondering if they had the same prior owner. He may well have adjust the shifters to adapt for his own use on both engines. That shifter should be close to horizontal when at rest, if not then something is preventing it.

And for pete's sake....use the period when writing. It's almost impossible to read it the way you're posting. It's like talking for five minutes without taking a breath....which nobody does(excpet for my aunt Sophie). Her teeth fell in the washing machine one day and chewed up half the load before she could get them out. 😄
thank you ...........lol

61 - 80 of 80 Posts