Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I checked my belts this spring, and they were Hondaline. Looked New. No frays or nics, no bad edges It does look like there is a thin fine line in the center though. Is there any way other than checking with the P/O when the belts need to be replaced?
Thanks,
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

My idea is to replace the belts if I start doubting. Cheaper than engine repair.
When changing the belts on my GL1500 and the GL1100A, they have always looked and felt good.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Not really but in the shop manual they have pictures of worn teeth and various other issues with belts.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

I'm going to change out mine this winter. I've reada a visual inspecting isn't really any good. That they can look good but suddenly break. Like me, if in question how long they been on, change them. RockAuto has Gates T274 for $16.01+ship. Even with shipping theyre still cheaper than my local NAPA. JR

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

This is a good reminder to do my belts/filters/flush radiator/ etc., this winter.

For me, riding is all about reliability. I've spent enough time on the curb [4x on my last bike in a year]....... and do not like it.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

The rule of thumb I keep being told is 6 years (belt age) or 50,000 miles (odometer).

As others have stated, cheaper to replace than rebuild.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
imported post

Belts are usually checked for "x" deflection with "y" amount of force. There's usually some error in either setup and or reading though so truthfully for the cost of two belts, $50 or so. I'd recommend just starting fresh and making a known reference point for your servicing, the alternative risk just wouldn't be worth it to me.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

I usually look in the mirror - if my pants are still up the belt is working. This is only because if I look straight down I cannot see a belt - even if it is working. :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
imported post

The best way to check a belt is to remove and and bend it over backwards 180 degrees and inspect for cracks in the rubber..might as well replace at that point..kinda like looking for cracks in a serpantine belt....change them at the mileage or time interval...whichever comes first

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

Nightrider, please don't think that is a dumb question, becuase that is the same question that I had....and I was already a little suspicious of my own intelligence...I don't needconfirmation..

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

I always go by....... If in doubt, change 'em out, better safe than sorry. I have done that on all the wings I have owned.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

When I get new belts I generaly get new pants too.......:D...:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Yeah...there's one in every crowd........

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
imported post

This past Sept i took my Goldwing 1100 to the mechanic. He has been working bikes most of the last 20 years and Owns his shop.. He lookes at my belts and told me they look like new... He told me that in all of his years he has Never seen a broken belt on a goldWing....not sure what it is worth to you but i wanted to pass this on...

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

If you didn't buy them, they are too old.

Meaning; anything on a 25+ year old GL1100 is suspect. I replace both 1982s because I couldn't prove when they were done.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

lucky_x16 wrote:
The rule of thumb I keep being told is 6 years (belt age) or 50,000 miles (odometer).

What you've stated there is the figures for the belts on the 1500's, according to an old school Honda mechanic I've trusted for years. The correct figures according to him for the 1000's, 1100's and 1200's is 30,000 miles or 5 years, which ever comes first.

The reasoning he gave me for thes figures is the fact that the older bikes have belts with squared teethed cogs on them and the belts on the 1500 are rounded cogs, hence they run smoother and last longer without damage. :action::action::action::waving::waving:

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
lucky_x16 wrote:

What you've stated there is the figures for the belts on the 1500's,....
ONly thing written by Ma Honda that I am aware of is to "inspect" timing belts every 100,000 miles (yes, 100k), and that is for the GL1500... not saying you should wait that long, but that is what is written... Honda says nothing for the 1000, 1100, or 1200.. the T070 belt (for the 1200) is used by Toyota and Toyota says 60,000 miles... Everything else is by work of mouth, rule of thumb, .. etc.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
imported post

Dave44142 wrote:
This past Sept i took my Goldwing 1100 to the mechanic. He has been working bikes most of the last 20 years and Owns his shop.. He lookes at my belts and told me they look like new... He told me that in all of his years he has Never seen a broken belt on a goldWing....not sure what it is worth to you but i wanted to pass this on...
hmmmmmm....

A) $50 for belts and 2 hours or less to replace (especially with unknown history of bike) = peace of mind

VS

B) $50for accessories and 2 additional hours of ride time = possible engine disaster

I'll take option A every time, as I did with both of my GL1000's, my friends GL1200, and another friends GL1000...and will continue to do so with every future Goldwing
I purchase regardless of what PO might say.

Why take a chance when the ultimate goal is years of worry-free riding??

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Most cars with similar type belts call for replacement around 100,000 km or 60,000 miles.

Unless there is obvious signs of wear or stress most lilely something slightly less than for a car would work. ie: 80,000 km or 50,000 miles.

As usual common sense works the best. If you have your doubts replace.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

If your going in to inspect, you might as well change them while your there, they are not expensive.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

tricky wrote:
If your going in to inspect, you might as well change them while your there, they are not expensive.
...unless they are improperly installed.. then it gets very expensive..

I know the Timing Belt Mantra is preached here like it is the gospel (and I used to preach it too), but my evidence collected over the last few years says that for every timing belt failure there are at least 5 times that many engines damaged by improper timing belt installation...

While I agree that PROPER installation is good insurance, doing it, particularly as a novice, may not be the wisest descision... Proceed with care..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.