·
Administrator
58,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
58,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the concept is not new, what is new is there are no Valve Springs, and they won't float.

the closing action is digitized also....
it can change programming in a millisecond, the other engine concepts cannot.

progress with newer, faster CPUs, and other applied technology to go with it.

·
Banned
500 Posts
ducatti doesnt use valve springs, but the wear goes to the rocker arm. the camless uses solenoids......i hope that engine isnt interference fit. lol

i think it is the newer version of ford powerstroke diesel, relies on oil pressure to open the valves.

technology just keeps marching on.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
No valve springs

I attended a banquet in 1992. The featured speaker was a magazine writer for one of the motorcycle mags. He claimed to have ridden a motorcycle in Japan that had digitally operated valves.

He said he could not give us any more information because he had to sign a non-disclosure agreement. I got the impression the manufacturer was Honda.

I think this idea has been around for some time. But has not been used on a production machine.

Rayjoe

·
Administrator
58,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the reason it never made a production machine, was explained in the article.

the electronics could not be made small enough to go under the hood of a production vehicle.

now, they can.... MOSFETs are powering these things, those did not exist in the '90s other than in the labs in very small power sizes.

the idea has been around for a long time, just like Einstein's theories, which are just now coming to be proven correct.

·
Premium Member
12,705 Posts
This concept uses Desmodromic valve train like a Ducati. The electronics control a motor operated camshaft for each valve. It open slightly,fully or any point of lift and duration the processor calls for .

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
didn't work for me

Sometimes, when a site wants me to turn off ad blocker, I can exit then come right back and all is well. I read the article and the site didn't try to reject me.
Tried three times in a row, no luck.

I refuse to patronize sites that insist I view ads.

Rayjoe

·
Administrator
24,822 Posts
Is it even possible to have a 2 stroke with valves? Maybe one intake? Any ideas??

Rayjoe
Yes, detroit 2 stroke diesels have intake valves. They have to have a blower to make it work though.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
2 stroke

Yes, detroit 2 stroke diesels have intake valves. They have to have a blower to make it work though.
So exhaust ports at the bottom of the cly? The blower forces the spent gases out of the ports and blows in the fresh fuel/air charge?

Do these engines suffer from poor fuel economy like traditional 2 strokes?

update:Just watched an animation about 2 stroke diesels on Utube.

Thanks Dave0430,

Rayjoe

·
Banned
500 Posts
Whether one is a 2 or 4 stroke has nothing to do with means of valve actuation or rotation direction.

except grind of the cam. if intake open/close and exhaust open/close are same, then yeah, maybe. but this is computer open/close valves so yes, it can run any direction with same torque curve.

one thing to consider tho.......chassis hookup has to be tuned to direction of revolution or someone is gonna die.

golf carts can run either way. they start and run either direction depending on timing and which way stasrter spins, but are limited HP producers.

as a one engine fits all prototype, its a great idea, maybe even great investment. but as a "order an engine and use it in any applicatation, it will go the way of all those before it.

·
Administrator
24,822 Posts
Do these engines suffer from poor fuel economy like traditional 2 strokes?
That I don't know, probably. I do love the sound of a V8 Detroit though.

·
Banned
500 Posts
That I don't know, probably. I do love the sound of a V8 Detroit though.

damned right.

we will never know the 2 atroke potential as it was stomped on by the california wackos (CARB) but for chitz and giggles, compare fuel consumption of 150hp yamaha 2stroke boat engine and 150hp hyquandozuki 4stroke.

they both suck if you are poor. but the 2 stroke offers much cheaper long term maintenace costs ....and is a lot faster.

neither push as much polutants as are generated to keep the lights on for one day at al gores house, so.......

bring back the 2 stroke!

·
1,631 Posts
Those i have seen have intake ports in the botton of the cylinders and exhaust by valves in the cylinder head:wink2:
BTW , many large ship diesels are build this way , and SOME off them use hydraulic actuation for the valves

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Those i have seen have intake ports in the botton of the cylinders and exhaust by valves in the cylinder head:wink2:
BTW , many large ship diesels are build this way , and SOME off them use hydraulic actuation for the valves
I'm confused. When would the exhaust valve open? If the charge is forced into the cylinder from bottom wouldn't the next stroke be up to compress the mixture? Or is the exhaust valve opened the same time as the charge is injected into the cylinder from the bottom? The next stroke would have to be the power stroke.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,

Rayjoe

1 - 20 of 27 Posts