Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This may sound stupid, but is this a compressor kit? It was in the fairing of my wing when I bought it.

I've seen kits before thatscrew into a sparkplug hole on a multi-cylider engine and act as an aircompressor. I've heard talk on this site about wings withon-board compressors. I just want to make sure it is something that won't damage the wing if I use it.It looks like a emergency kit for tire inflation.

The kit has several adapters that look to screw into various thread sizes and a larger part with a one way ball valve. One matched the sparkplug on my bike. The hose has a screw-on end for a tire stem.

Mine is a 1980Standard w/Vetter kit so I don't think it came with a compressor....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,485 Posts
imported post

The hose looks right for use with an on-board compressor, a touch short maybe, but it appears to have the right fittings. As far as the other fittings,,?????? Don't know!!

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

That is a tire inflater that screws into a spark plug hole. The hose is way too short to be useful though.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Davogd430 wrote:
That is a tire inflater that screws into a spark plug hole. The hose is way too short to be useful though.
Agreed, hose way to short to be any goood for anything on a bike. Not only that but the hose doen't have the correct end on it to work properly with a tire valve stem anyways. I say through it in the trash or flog it on fleabay.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
imported post

That hose may be longer than it looks in the picture, There seems to be a coil hidden,may just reach if you get Tyre (tire) valves in right place.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

it is used to inflate tires with the engine compression, not related to the stock equiped compressor.

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

The thing that I always found curious about those type of tire inflators; You now have a combustible fuel/air mixture inside your tire. Not my idea of a good thing. I suppost the mix is too lean to burn unless under compression, but there is 40 PSI inside the tire. I dunno how dangerous it might be.

Maybe someone could do a test with an old tire, one of these inflators and a match. :shock:

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
imported post

You should not have a flammable mixture as the inlet has a check valve whose job it is to allow fresh air in to the intake stroke, thereby compressing just fresh air (mostly)-not the most efficient unit but they served their purpose.

ducky

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

Check this little baby out. I think it is sweet and can be mounted under fairing. Scroll down a bit on site as pump is still shown.

:baffled::baffled::baffled::D:D:D

http://tinyurl.com/5qweuc

fixed URL

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I like my little Slime compressor. It's faster than the onboard compressor and is small enough to easily store in it's own little carrying case.
Slime Compressor

John

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
I like my little Slime compressor. It's faster than the onboard compressor and is small enough to easily store in it's own little carrying case.
Slime Compressor

John
John, what a great looking little unit. Have bookmarked it. Will have it on my baby as soon as I can.
Angela:cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Gee..what about a good old han d pump for inflating tires..it's good exercise too!!

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

RB wrote:
Gee..what about a good old han d pump for inflating tires..it's good exercise too!!
What about a bicycle instead of a motorcycle, for the same reason? ;) I prefer to get my exercise a different way. :)

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
RB wrote:
What about a bicycle instead of a motorcycle, for the same reason? ;) I prefer to get my exercise a different way. :)
:baffled::baffled:;););):cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks for the info guys. The hose is long enough to reach the tires, but only barely for the rear. I too would hestitate to use it, but then on a dark and lonely road or parking lot as an alternative to a long walk for help, I would probably opt for it.

One positive - The spark-pug adapter fits my compression tester, so now I don't need to borrow my buddies.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
John
Whad'ya use compressed slime for anyway?

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Jluvs2dive wrote:
John
Whad'ya use compressed slime for anyway?
:cheeky1::cheeky1: Funny guy!

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

mdbauer1962 wrote:
This may sound stupid, but is this a compressor kit? It was in the fairing of my wing when I bought it.

I've seen kits before thatscrew into a sparkplug hole on a multi-cylider engine and act as an aircompressor. I've heard talk on this site about wings withon-board compressors. I just want to make sure it is something that won't damage the wing if I use it.It looks like a emergency kit for tire inflation.

The kit has several adapters that look to screw into various thread sizes and a larger part with a one way ball valve. One matched the sparkplug on my bike. The hose has a screw-on end for a tire stem.

Mine is a 1980Standard w/Vetter kit so I don't think it came with a compressor....
Half of it is missing. It should also have a pressure guage and another length of hose with a lock on fitting for a shrader valve.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

fysty-1 wrote:
Check this little baby out.  I think it is sweet and can be mounted under fairing. Scroll down a bit on site as pump is still shown.

:baffled::baffled::baffled::D:D:D

http://tinyurl.com/5qweuc

fixed URL
Looks interesting. But I'm more curious as to why the photos appear to have been manipulated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.