Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to change the clutch lever and I just wanted to check that it is a Genuine Honda one that is fitted. (before I order a new one).

Attachments

·
Registered
654 Posts
Got a set just like 'busdriver' from the same supplier. They look and work great with one exception, at least on my 97 GL1500. When first installed, I had an issue with the cruise control not activating properly. Traced it down to the new levers. Had to add a little piece of aluminum can (really) attached with 3M double sided tape, to the micro switch contact surface of the lever. These are the switches that activate or deactivate the brake and cruise switches on the right hand control. It served to extend the 'travel' of that surface just far enough to reliably allow the cruise function to activate. Brake lights were never an issue, but both switches are activated by that lever surface area. Understand that this is sometimes a common problem with aftermarket levers. The alternative is to grind the lever, but wasn't keen on grinding off the chrome finish on a new lever.
Forgot, I also had a minor problem with the clutch piston rod not fitting smoothly through the clutch lever. A little filing of the lever opening solved that problem. While in there you may want to also replace the brass clutch bushing, and the 2 rubber boots that seal both the clutch and brake pistons from dirt and dust. Easy to do while the levers are off. Cheap, easy maintenance.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clutch and Brake levers

Thanks for the useful and informative replies.:claps:

Will order a set from Shinywing in Ireland, being my nearest store.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
When first installed, I had an issue with the cruise control not activating properly. Traced it down to the new levers.....
That's not uncommon with aftermarket levers. I had to file some of the chrome off mine to get them contacting the switches properly. Pure rubbish some of those aftermarket levers, I will stick with OEM from now on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.