Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've been looking for a 80-83 GL1100 in decent condition, low mileage. Just saw this. Is it a good buy? What else should I check and what should be the fair price? Thanks.

"1982 Honda GOLDWING INTERSTATE GL1100, 27K miles, beautiful black classic, loaded with extras, rider and passenger floorboards, new rear Progressive air shocks, K&N air and oil fiters, Amsoil synthetic oil, four gauge cluster, Honda/Clarion stereo, Cobra CB radio, new Dunlop tires, new spark plugs and wires, new timing belts, new brake pads, Slipstream wide windshield, Kuryakyn Iso-Grips and wide levers, On Guard disc lock, and a new half and full cover. $3500.00"

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

1000 too much. Even with that low mileage you're still looking at replacing the timing belts due to age of the belts, not mileage.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Since the description says "new timing belts" you may not want to change them, unless you don't like the brand of them.

But yes, too much in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Even without knowing your markets out there on the other side of the Pond, the price on a bike is all relevent, if that one is A1 perfect, and very well maintained with full service history, then that has a bearing on things. Many would prefer to pay over the top for a mint bike, rather than buy one cheaper and it needs work just to get it running and looking half decent.

That said, if there are peachy deals to be had on the model you want at $2500 or near that figure, then you would be better waiting until that better deal came up.

If you really like this one, then try striking a hard bargain, offer the guy/ gal a very low figure and see if you can work out something in between. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

The bike is 150 miles away from my place. Still waiting for more detailed pics. Will postas soon as I receive them.

Thanks all for your inputs.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Missed the new timing belts in the description. I'd want to see the receipts for all the new parts and find out who installed them, also the brand name of the belts.

Silverfox does make a point on the price and condition of the bike.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

We're talking about a 25 year old bike that's had less than 1100 miles per year put on it.

A garage queen so to speak.

What would concern me most would be the condition of the tank, and the condition of the carbs. Next in line would be condition of the braking system, and every little rubber seal that has been subjected to heating, cooling, and limited use.

You'll find it stated around this forum numerous times that a low mileage 1100 is not always a good thing. They get to feeling dejected, get depressed, and begin to self-harm. The repairs for those are not only a pain in the patootie most of the time, but parts are getting harder and harder to find for them.

I guess the first thing I'd be interested in is why the owner is getting rid of it, and is s/he the first or second owner. If s/he's the 2nd owner, can s/he put you in contact with the 1st?

I agree with Bagmaster though, I wouldn't pay more than $2500 for ANY 1100, regardless of condition.

Mike

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Here are the pictures,

http://photos.msn.com/Slideshow/Viewer.htm?locale=en-us&config=%2fSlideshow%2fConfig.aspx%3flocale%3den-us%26folder%3dnBuRgwTGIGi58ip8u*T7nfVaSezl85QCRf8Hh5wl!rI%24&data=%2fSlideshow%2fData.aspx%3ffolder%3dnBuRgwTGIGi58ip8u*T7nfVaSezl85QCRf8Hh5wl!rI%24%26index%3d0

The email from the seller:

"Hello Kent,

Thank you for your interest.

In response to your questions;

I don't really know how many owners.

I have never put the bike down and it does not exhibit any bad tendencies, tracks straight and the old Dunlops wore very even.

Everything is original except for the New Progressive Air Shocks.

Surface rust on some chrome and some nuts and bolts, nothing major.

Crack on right rear saddlebag lid, I repaired it with Plastex and it has been holding for several years, and a repair made the same way on the right lower fairing. Some surface scratches on the 27 year old paint job.

More detailed pictures especially of the repairs will be sent tomorrow.

Bottom line is within reason, cash always works for "

Asking price is $3500.00

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

It looks to be a very nice example of a well kept Wing....I have used the plastex on my Wing and it seems to be the best repair product I have found to do plastic ABS repairs with.....Might be worth the trip just to lay and eye on it and talk face to face with the owner......Maybe even ask to ride it some before you commit any money to that purchase.....Then make him a cash offer of like has been mentioned of $2500.00 or less depending on what you see.....All it will cost you up to that point is time and some gas money......

Just my .05 cents worth....

Claude.....

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Photo link doesn't work. Pics don't load.

Never mind, got them to load in IE.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Deffinatly a clean looking Wing, a lot cleaner than my 86. As has already been mentioned, price is really determined by how bad you want it. I too think it's 750/1000 too much, but all I know about 1100's is the manufacturer...:cheeky1: :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

With only 23,000 on the clock, I cant help but wonder why the factory pinstriping is missing from the trunk, saddlebags and fairing when the tank, side covers and front fender looks to have a good factory paint finish. Even the stickers on the tank look good. I would suspect the bike might have been in a accident some time in its life.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I'd have to guess that when the bag lid got broken, the repair damaged the pinstripes, and as a result, one of the P/O's removed the rest of the striping to match it.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

Bottom line is within reason, cash always works for "

Asking price is $3500.00

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

that would suggest to me that he's willing to haggle,

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
imported post

Looks good.I think its a good deal.Its worth what your willing to pay also.I wouldn't mind having that one myself.
I paid $2700 for a 1975 naked goldwing.The condition warranted the price.Eventually you may get nickled and dimed to death with an older bike.Its worth the pleasure.

Fork seals arent cheap to have done if you go to a dealer.A bevy of little things can run up the ownership cost.I saw the picture of that bike and i like it!!!!

I dont know the owner btw

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.