Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

If one were to flip the carbs over, it's the screw at the point on the bottom of the float bowl. Mine had a cover or casing over the screw itself (well, some were missing). This cover was broken, so I tried twisting it back. Wrong. It broke right off. I did manage to extract the screw as there was enought meat sticking out. I am not sure if this is the idle screw since I do not have the Honda Service book to identify, but it's certainly busted! Can someone ID this without seeing it? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Is it by chance the float bowl drain screw?

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Oops. Brain fart. The carbs are from a 1980 1100 and were bought to eventually put on a 1000, but also for the sake of some initial breakdown to check out the internals.

Also, I should have said "idle mixture screw." I still am not sure if that is what it is as I only have the Clymer GL1000 book and this screw does not seem to be present on the 1000 carbs.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi Sanfelice, the Pilot screw with or without a limiter cap is located on the bottom of a tower which runs down the side of the float bowl. It is not part of the float bowl. On the air intake side of the carb. The float bowl drain screw is a brass screw, the head of which is slightly smaller than a dime on the lowest point of the float bowl.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Definitely not the drain screw. This has a spring and a small rubber o-ring attached at the end.
Gee, I really need to buy a repair manual for this carb....

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

The spring and o-ring definitely make it the pilot screw. Should have also been a tiny flat washer between the spring and the o-ring.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Thanks, Jack. Now, is that pilot screw in a different location on pre-1100 carbs? Since my 1000 carbs are still on my bike, the only reference I have is the Clymer's for the 1000 and they don't show this location for the pilot screw. Any ideas or am I missing something obvious in the book? (quite possible). Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi Sanfelice, I can't remember where the pilot screw is located on the GL1000. Randall Washington is the acclaimed expert on the GL1000. His web site has volumes of information about the GL1000 that cannot be had anywhere else. I am not trying to put you off, if there was any way I could help, I would. Take a look at this site.

http://www.randakks.com/

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

The pilot screw is on the front r/l side of each carb, inserted on a sloping angle inwards/downwards towards the carb body. You can tell it from the carb sync screw, as they have a locking nut on them, and are not recessed in a 'tube' opening (pilot screw passage). Yours might have locking tabs on them, which have to be removed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.