Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just covering all the bases. She still won't start, But I haven't had time this week to do much.
She's getting fuel from the pump, and the timing belts are on right.
This morning I'm checking for spark and making sure the firing order is right.
After that I'm on to the carbs huh?

('83 GL1100)

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

What has changed since the last time it was running. Hate to ask but what about your kill switch. Actually I can't say I have much experince with that. My wings have allways started.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

All the plugs are firing. I made little wire brackets for each one to check 'em all at once.
I just dunno if they are in the right order.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

You will know if the plug leads are mixed up, the engine will backlfire loudly, and probably sparks out of the exhaust as well.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Aesop,

If the 1100's are the same as the 1200's, the wiring is correct.
I just looked in my Clymer 1200 book.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thank you sir. My friend came over and took a look at it. My worst fears are confirmed, I have some kind of dead short somewhere. I'll be picking through the electric for the rest of the weekend, wish me luck!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Kinda hard to see how there could be a serious short if it cranks and has spark. Have you seen any fuel on the plugs? If it's sparking and has fuel it should be making a bit of noise, at least farting and popping. You might pull the drain on one of the carbs and see it fuel is getting that far.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

The firing order from the fornt of the bike is;

[align=center]Right side, 1 & 3.
Left, 2 & 4.
[/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=left]Paul is right though, if you are getting sparks and fuel then the motor has to fire, or at least make an attempt. I'd pout a teaspoon of petrol straight down the plug holes and rapidly put the plugs back in, then see if the bike will start and run for a few seconds.[/align]

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Your diagram looksthe same asa GL1000 too.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

Aesop,

In agreement with everyone else that if you have spark and fuel, it should be doing something. However, thats only 2 of the 3 things needed. I have'nt noticed anyone mention compression. :stumped:If you ain't got squeeze, she sure won't fire. If you don't have a compression gauge, pull one of the spark plugs, plug the hole with a finger, and with the kill switch on, gently bump the starter over. It should quite forcefully blow your finger out of the spark plug hole. Be careful though, compression on the older Goldwings is pretty high. Mine goes about 195psi.

:byebye: Doug :11yellow:

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Check to make sure you are getting 12 volts at the primary winding of the coils with the points closed. If it is lower than the battery voltage, you have a bad connection. You will still see a spark, but it may not be hot enough to touch off the fuel. Also make sure that your condensers are ok, the primary and secondary windings of the coils are intact (use an ohm-meter), and that the plug wires AND boots have continutiy. The boots should have some resistance, I can't remember what it will be, but it should be the same on all 4. (I think it's 3 ohms.)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

wilddoug wrote:
Aesop,
In agreement with everyone else that if you have spark and fuel, it should be doing something. However, thats only 2 of the 3 things needed. I have'nt noticed anyone mention compression. :stumped:If you ain't got squeeze, she sure won't fire.
:byebye: Doug :11yellow:
You're right Doug, but it's unlikely the rings fell off all four jugs, I'll bet it's lack of go juice since the famous fabulist (Aesop is pretty well known,probably older than the crotchety islander with the Honda 50) said he had spark.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

Check your main fuse for a hairline crack.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

Thay told me the firing order for a 1982 GL1100 was looking at the front of the bike is the left is 1&3 an the right was 2&4 would someone set me stright on this please

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
imported post

have a 1200 book in front of me the firing order is when sitting on the bike 1,3 right side 2,4 left side hopw this helps

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

While your trying to figure all this out, Switch over to reserve.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.