Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Magic Moderator
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 Dell E6410s; one has a Core i5 processor 2.53GHz and the newest one has a Core i5 processor with vPro 2.63 GHz. This laptop came from a computer refurbisher and most come from businesses and sold to the general public. What is vPro? Is this some kind of odd-ball laptop? I know I take my chances buying used stuff for under $75.00. It runs Linux with no problem but could use 8RAM.

·
Magic Moderator
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had ventured into the settings and I found this last on the list: 'Intel Management Engine BIOS Extension'. I was curious and had to see what it was and it looked like it was for some type of advanced settings and thus I got out of it.

·
Magic Moderator
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess its something found in newer computers.
Has the new SSD arrived for your laptop? I know you want to ditch Windows10 as fast as you can.

·
Administrator
57,421 Posts
I guess its something found in newer computers.
Has the new SSD arrived for your laptop? I know you want to ditch Windows10 as fast as you can.
I have a text message from USPS that something was delivered from Chicago, IL today..... I think that will be the SSD from Crucial Memory...

it is 105F outside, not going out until around midnight ......
we walk the dogs between 0000 and 0200 hrs now with this wickedly heat and humidity running 50% and more

·
Magic Moderator
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yikes, that's hot. It was 93* in Lovington when I ventured out for some odds 'n ends and to get a shipping box. Then I have to bubble wrap the laptop well to protect it in shipping, it has a long way to go.
I don't blame you on not getting the package in that kind of heat. Retrieve the package later and then you'll have a good indoor project with loading the Linux and getting it to work.

·
Magic Moderator
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm inquisitive, did the installation of the new ssd with Linux work? Or is that laptop one tough nut to crack?

·
Administrator
57,421 Posts
I have a mental block against getting started on Projects, big or little.

currently, my To Do List is like this:

• Mow the Grass
  • Assemble the new weed eater
  • use Weed Eater to cut the grass away from the house and and cyclone fence
  • Weed Eat the berm out on the road, the Johnson Grass is now 4 feet high
  • install the new SSD in Cyndi's ancient Sony Laptop
  • Install the new SSD in my new ASUS TUF notebook/laptop
  • Mow the grass, the rain is making it higher!!!!!!!
  • wash my laundry, I am out of T-Shirts
  • Replace the right signal light on the Toy Hauler before we go to Midwest Meet 'n Greet
  • get my ass on the Tread Mill , my back is hurting from no use
  • Fix the steering link on the Lawn Tractor, it is toed out 15 degrees
  • Fix the Sanpper Zero Turn mower for my daughter, it has only been broke now about 3.5 years ( just before her mom got so ill, we lived in the hospital most of a year )
  • Clean up my OFFICE!!!! per my daughter's instructions
  • Look at the old laptops and figure out which ones to donate to the High School, I have too many now, that are MUCH FASTER....
  • Repair the facia boards around the Patio roof
  • Clean out the shop, get rid of the old power tools that won't work any more.. I bought today, a new Battery 80 Volt Weed Eater, because the Pulon Pro gas one won't start
  • and the list is twice this long, on stuff I have forgotten long ago.
Now, which one do I want to do today, before the temps get over 75F :frown2:

·
Magic Moderator
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, that's a lot of to dos. Another group of people who can benefit from older computers is a senior living facility. Not too long ago I had worked on one for the Cedars senior housing and they are happy. It is a Windows7 laptop, I made recovery media for it, gave them Firefox and added games to it. I'm currently down to 3 runners and the G4 PowerBook.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts