Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Active trawler but first time poster :)
Recently acquired gl1200 85 that sat for 5 years. Decided to clean up starter motor, after getting it out I opened.to find it a bit strangely burnt inside. Is it arc damaged?

And what can I do to fix it? Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
Clean the commutator up with some fine emory cloth and see what it looks like. Then check the field windings with a ohm meter, on highest setting from + stud to starter body, should be infinite resistance, then low setting stud to brush plate connection, should be continuity.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
862 Posts
Looks like somebody was standing on the start button on an engine that would not turn. Run some emery cloth or sandpaper over that commutator and it should clean up nicely. Take a pick or something and clean out the gaps between commutator pads.

You can check the rotor for shorts, there should be no continuity between any of the commutator pads and the rotor core.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys for your help, i will clean it up and do the checks you guys recommend and let you know how i get on.

cheers.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
862 Posts
It's really hard to tell from the photos, that almost looks more like rust than melted copper on the commutator. But clean it up and see what it does. If it looks promising, and bench test of the motor after cleanup is successful, you might consider a set of brushes before putting the starter back in the engine, the ground brush in the photo is a little on the "short" side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
excellent, thank you. another question, sorry, I have been looking at the parts file and i cant find the gasket between the main body and the end of the starter motor. i can see it in the microfiche but there is no number on it. it had a liquid gasket on it when i disassembled, is there a part out there or should i just put liquid gasket back on?

thanks.

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
If you do use a sealer use it very sparingly, the brush plate has to ground to the motor case.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Looking at the two segments on enlargment i would say dont waste your time as copper has melted. I'm sure my mate got a new pattern replacement on ebay(in UK) for about £90(gbp) approx $110

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking at the two segments on enlargment i would say dont waste your time as copper has melted. I'm sure my mate got a new pattern replacement on ebay(in UK) for about £90(gbp) approx $110
Cheers. In your experience are the aftermarket ones almost exact in shape and dimension? Mine was horrible to angle out with the very good method described by others without dropping the engine.

I would hate to buy one that is out by 1mm and it wont fit.

Thanks.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Cant say your side of the pond but my mate fitted one to his 1200 trike no problem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts