Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Getting my bike back from honda this weekend after the frame recall, mine,s an 03 model so had to have the welding done as "all 03,s have the welding as a matter of course " say,s Mr honda.

I,me just wondering is this the end of it, can we ride themwith confidence in future, has this been a kneejerk quick fix reaction, or is this a well thought outcure to the whole problem once and for all.

I love my bike and everything about it, But i also need to have total confidence in it, after all that i,ve read, and i know a lot of it has been a long way from truth, I just still have that little niggling doubt about the strength of these frames.

In the past i,ve just packed my bikes for touring and gone regardless of weight (within reason of course). But now I find myself weighing bags,wife, and me, doing quick calculations for overall weight and deciding what to leave behind,(THE WIFE OR THE LUGGAGE)all just so I dont excede Mr honda,s total weight restrictions which tends to ease my mind a little more and makes me feel a bit safer. Which in my humble opinion you should not have to do on a bikebuilt for the kind of job this one is, i.e. TOURING CONTINENTS.

I for one will have to think long and hard when i come to change my bike next time, (i,ll proberbly still buy another wingbecause nothing else comes close, but my confidence in HONDA getting it righthas taken a battering over this.) And God knows they,ve had enough time to sort it.

Well that,s me down off my soapbox but just had to have a rant about it, and anyway when i get back on her i,ll proberbly forget all about these issues and just enjoy the riding again.

Thanks for listning BOB.

P.s. only kidding about leaving the wife behind.......(she might read this !!.)

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

No bike is perfect... at least Honda recognized the problem and fixed it.

No matter the bike you ride, you should always do a rough analysis of the weight it's carrying and not overload the thing! That's just common sense. One saving gracefor many Goldwing owners who ride what I call a, "Two-wheeled parade float" is that, even overloaded,most don't ride them very aggresively.

There's an old saying when it comes to travel, "The bigger the suitcase, the morestuff one tends to bring."

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

Hey Twodogs,

Forget the recall stuff, I've over 20,000 miles on my '02 1800 and not a creaky weld in sight. Many of my buddies tour with trailers, extra trunk luggage, the wife, all sorts of excess weight....and ....nothing to worry about. The Yanks are just afraid of getting sued if something remotely connected with the bike goes wrong.
So get out there and do what it was made for...ride it...hard...and enjoy the freedom.
BTW...great colour.

Steve

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Bob, I wouldn't be too worried. I had my frame welded recently and when I got the bike back I needednew tyresso I brought it to my bike shop. The put the bike on the ramp and whil it was up there we all had a look at the weld. It looks very professional and beefy and is sprayed over with what looks like OEM frame paint. I'm impressed and the shop mechanics agreed that the job is done right.

Vic, As a GL1800 owner I've probably seen all the cracked frame pics on the web just like many 1800 owners. I can only recall seeing three genuinely cracked frames, so it doesn't seem to be an epidemic. After having mine rewelded I have to say I'm converted, Honda did the job right and they even loaned me a Pan European while my Wing was away. :clapper:

Oh and in case anyone is wondering, the ST1300 Pan is a nice bike but I still prefer the Goldwing! :goofygrin:

Hey Vic, it must be middle of the night in Ontario. It's 0630 now in Ireland and I've just finished a night shift so I thought I get a bit of forum reading in before I hit the sack. :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Just an FYI.. All manufacturers build in a safteymargin on their products.. Doesn't matter is it's cars, boats, motorcycles, airplanes or even the kitchen chair.. You can go over the recommended gross weight (within reason) and still be safe.. Just don't do it on a regular basis. :weightlifter:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

03Silver, I believe that you are about six hours ahead of me.

I have heard a story about how a GL1800's frame cracked and left the rider stranded because the swingarm had come out of place. Any truth to this or is it just another internet exageration?

Vic

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.