Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Nobody You Know
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been several threads here about the virtues of using balancing beads in motorcycle tires. Most everything I can find about the two most-mentioned brands - Dyna Beads and Counteract - says they are safe for all tires. However, I asked the Bridgestone rep at Wing-Ding in Nashville what Bridgestone's official opinion was and his reply surprised me. He said the company had done internal tests with beads (he couldn't recall the brand) and their conclusion was that using beads causes some abrading on the inside of the tire and they do not recommend usage of them. He said he personally had used beads on his own bikes, but had switched back to weights when he found out about these test results. I later looked up Bridgestone's warranty and, sure enough, there is wording that the tire warranty does not cover: "Tires with sealant, balance, or other filler material that was not originally applied or inserted by the tire manufacturer." I tried to find mention on-line of the Bridgestone "tests" he spoke of, hoping to find more specifics, but to no avail. I recently put beads in my tires, so I guess I've voided the warranty and will accidentally be performing my own "tests".

Has anyone experienced any ill effects of using balancing beads?

Reactions: limpy45

·
Premium Member
3,770 Posts
AZgl1800 here using Lopeha's PC.

that sales rep you talked too is full of BS.

Ignore anything he said.

Dyna Beads, Counteract, etc will NOT damage a tire in any way.
How could they?

Centrifugal force makes them adhere to the outer perimeter, and they will only shift around if an imbalance occurs... and that is so minor as to be negligible.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Most manufacturers of any product will cover their behinds and add all kinds of warning or do not use information. Lots of riders use beads and have no problem with them,.

·
Administrator
25,751 Posts
Bridgestone tires are so crappy they have to cover every angle to keep from having to warranty them. Probably in the fine print somewhere that the warranty is void if they ever touch pavement.

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
I have used balancing beads (counteract) in my last two sets of Avon tires (total of 49k miles) with no issues. They work for me.

27,000 miles on the first set and 22,000 miles on the current set.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Bridgestone tires are so crappy they have to cover every angle to keep from having to warranty them. Probably in the fine print somewhere that the warranty is void if they ever touch pavement.
I usually ran Dunlops on my Wings, I switched to Bridgestones on my 08 wing and loved them. On the rear I used the 70 series and it corrected the speedo error and the odometer error.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
There have been several threads here about the virtues of using balancing beads in motorcycle tires. Most everything I can find about the two most-mentioned brands - Dyna Beads and Counteract - says they are safe for all tires. However, I asked the Bridgestone rep at Wing-Ding in Nashville what Bridgestone's official opinion was and his reply surprised me. He said the company had done internal tests with beads (he couldn't recall the brand) and their conclusion was that using beads causes some abrading on the inside of the tire and they do not recommend usage of them. He said he personally had used beads on his own bikes, but had switched back to weights when he found out about these test results. I later looked up Bridgestone's warranty and, sure enough, there is wording that the tire warranty does not cover: "Tires with sealant, balance, or other filler material that was not originally applied or inserted by the tire manufacturer." I tried to find mention on-line of the Bridgestone "tests" he spoke of, hoping to find more specifics, but to no avail. I recently put beads in my tires, so I guess I've voided the warranty and will accidentally be performing my own "tests".

Has anyone experienced any ill effects of using balancing beads?

I have used, and still use the same concept with the same weights of Airsoft hard plastic Redjacket .22cal BBs. I just got them cheaper, but I do not believe the Dyna Beads and Counteract will abraid a tire. I do recall some mention of regular hard steel BBs or some ground glass doing some abraiding.

My .22 BBs get inserted with a funnel and tube through the bead area at mounting, and I usually vacuum them out same way and rinse and dry and reuse. I was using them in several tires, now just in the trike's tires as I sold the 1200 … and they were cheap enough that I experimented with them in auto tires of various sizes & aspect ratios.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I have been using Dyna Beads since 2007. A little over 200,000 miles.

I had heard this statement back then, while obviously not a scientific study, I examined the inside of both front and rear tires meticulously at each tire change.(and there have been a bunch of them). No signs of abrasions, and like Crystalpistol above, I vacuum them out so I can clean and reuse them.

You would think if they were causing abrasions, I would have black dust particles in my little vacuum after cleaning the tire out..... but none to be found.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
I'm "new" to this party, , ,less than 5k on Avon Cobra's front and rear, , , Dyna-beads in front (3 oz), and CounterAct beads in rear (3 oz). The E II's that were 17 yrs old had beads for a short time and BOTH E II's had absolutely NO ABRASION inside when I changed em out because of cracking/age.

I'm wondering if Bridgestone is a tire I WILL avoid, , , BEADS WORK!!!

·
Administrator
25,751 Posts
I definitely do, Bought 1 set for an 1800, worst tires I ever had in every way. Had a set on my truck, they separated, saw several of them separate on Honda cars & Honda replaced them with something else. I took to calling it bridgestone disease.

·
Registered
749 Posts
So do Deer Alerts. :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

(Sorry, couldn't resist) :grin3:

Reactions: BLUTHUNDR31

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've used beads on my 1200 Wing and Victory Vegas through four different brands of tires. Never caused a tire problem for me, as best I can tell. I won't go back to weights. Beads are easier for me when installing new tires - measure the correct weight, drop them in, inflate and done.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Me too -

I've used both brands of beads mentioned above and love the concept and simplicity. I mount my own tires and just poor in 2 OZ +/- of beads and I'm done. I have them in my GL1200 now with my awesome new Pirelli tires, that Dennis recommended. I've used them on 4 different bikes so far and all run smoothly at all speeds. Use them and forget the ugly lead mounted to your rims!

·
Registered
73 Posts
May I ask what size beads you ordered? And what is their minimum order quantity?

QBZ-58A 0.8mm Zirconium Silicate Beads.

when I called a few yrs ago I was told this is same as dynabeads. quacken was actually the org supplier to dynabeads.

I don't know the smallest container size they sell now, but when I bought it, its a large size about 2 lbs and will last a long time. I use them in my vehicles also.

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,268 Posts
Several years back, I bought a bag of DynaBeads at a local m/c shop. he had them in a 25 gallon barrel.

I'm still using those things.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Thought of this thread as I rolled the trike out for a ride, sure could hear them BBs rolling around in them tires.

Sure were smooth once under way though. Couldn't hear them then.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I've never tried Beads, myself... yet always wondered if you are supposed to Balance the Beads, before installing them?

And how exactly do you balance those little things?... I put them atop my bubble tire balancer, but could hardly get a reading.

Guess my fear is, if I use Un-balanced beads, then the whole wheel will inherit that wonky dynamic; perhaps causing a lean to one side or the other. :?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts