Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
I've never tried Beads, myself... yet always wondered if you are supposed to Balance the Beads, before installing them?

And how exactly do you balance those little things?... I put them atop my bubble tire balancer, but could hardly get a reading.

Guess my fear is, if I use Un-balanced beads, then the whole wheel will inherit that wonky dynamic; perhaps causing a lean to one side or the other. :?
I use a pin mounted in my big vise, just balance them on the tip, & then I use my belt sander to take off excess weight if needed. Tried the grinder but that didn't work out too well, it took too much off too fast.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
While we’re on this subject, does anyone have experience using beads in an inner tube?

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Been using dyna beads for 7 years two tire changes never noticed any damage.

Reactions: GoldwingLust

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a friend who runs an independent motorcycle shop and does a lot of tire business. When he started using beads several years ago he told his customers that if they were not satisfied with the results he would remove the beads and do a tradition balance with weights for no charge. No one ever came back for a re-balance with weights. I have inspected my own tires for any sign of interior damage at tire change time and found none. As a side thought, I remember a late friend that rode a GL1800 that he had paid big bucks to have the front wheel chromed. He was of the opinion that beads were a fad and didn't work. I couldn't help but notice, but it seemed every time he parked his wing, the front wheel was was in a position so as to display all those ugly stick on weights. Looked like poo on a white hen's butt!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,283 Posts
the inside of my tires with Dyna Beads, look like new.

don't understand the stories claiming that beads will damage a tire.

·
Administrator
25,762 Posts
It must be something made up by wheel weight manufacturers. The tire makers must know the truth.

Reactions: limpy45

·
Read Only
136 Posts
The only issue I have with Beads is "Make sure you tell your tire changer" They make a heck of a mess on the floor, if the guy wasn't made aware of them being in a tire. (Makes them angry) lol

·
Registered
754 Posts
The only issue I have with Beads is "Make sure you tell your tire changer" They make a heck of a mess on the floor, if the guy wasn't made aware of them being in a tire. (Makes them angry) lol
Same goes for the green slime tire sealer, I got cussed out by the tech at the local stealer-ship when having them mount a new E4 on my then new-to-me 1500. Didn't know it was in there though... :grin3:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,283 Posts
Same goes for the green slime tire sealer, I got cussed out by the tech at the local stealer-ship when having them mount a new E4 on my then new-to-me 1500. Didn't know it was in there though... :grin3:
let them bitch, I don't care.

I use green Slime in all of our yard maintenance equipment.
We have Locust trees with 2 inch plus long thorns.

I bought a brand new Bad Boy Zero Turn mower mid-summer after my Husqvarna gave up the ghost.... ( it ain't dead, I just got tired of replacing the belts on it and sold it )

the very first time we mowed in the back 40 where the Locust trees are, one of the drive tires caught a thorn and was sitting on the rim the next morning.

Pissed me off, went to the local farm store and bought three 12 oz bottles of Green Slime..... put them in a pan of hot water and got them up to about 100*F

put a full bottle in each drive tire, the 3rd bottle will be spread equally among the four 8 inch Golf Car tires. It is used like a tractor and pulls our utility wagon ( actually it is my big motorcycle trailer for the 1800 ).

We have about 3 acres of trees, and there is always maintenance to be done.
right now, we are trimming all the limbs off of the last 50 ft tall tree that laid over in a storm... the root ball just turned loose and down it went.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Never yet any damage from RedJacket .22 Cal Hard Plastic BBs.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts