·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

The only race I never raced and really wanted to race. My sister tried to get us a hotel room for the next race but was unable. We will try again in 2013. Just for the record, I quit racing but would love to just go there and watch it and be part of it.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

This race separates the men from the truly crazy men! ha:jumper:

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

jeffy1500 wrote:
This race separates the men from the truly crazy men! ha:jumper:
Seems to separate a lot of men from some of their body parts too!:action:

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
imported post

Isle Of Man use to be a regular race on the Moto GP circuit. Too many rides complained and it was dropped. I am surprized that those guys can sit down with those huge.........................you know what I mean.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

The guys that race the Irish road racing championship have big balls aswell

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

britman wrote:
The guys that race the Irish road racing championship have big balls aswell
Yes, the NW200 and the TT are real tests of courage. A lot of people lost their lives in those events, real life biking heroes all of them.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
imported post

I went to the Isle of Man TT in 1981 on an old Triumph Bonneville, 2 weeks I'll never forget, first week is practice week, themain roads are shut down (yes they are the main roads around the Island that they are racing on) 6 hours a day, you'd better find yourself a pub to settle into before noon because otherwise you ain't goin' nowhere, it's a 200 Pound fine for just crossing the road to the pub on the other side.

That week is relatively quiet, you get a good look at the bikes too as they will often stop in the pub car parks to do tweeks to the bike if they need to and then get back on their way, it is a 37 1/4 mile lap after all, all that week more and more bikes pile onto the island leading up to the middle weekend and Mad Sunday, by then 1/4 million motorcycles crowd the place from all parts of the globe.

Mad Sunday is probably the craziest thing I ever saw, the authoritiesdesignate the 15 mile section over the mountain part of the circuit "one waytraffic" and there has never been a speed limitimposed outside of the towns, soeffectively it becomes a racetrack for allcomers, My friends and I went and found a nice place to sit it out at the Gooseneck and watch the idiots fall off, until it started to rain and the only way out was to ride over the mountain with them, we rode on up the hill trying to keep out of the way of the hundreds of people still racing in the pouring rain. Sooner or later we got near the top and It got real foggy like we'd ridden into the cloud, I could barely see the road in front of me but I could see, hear and feel the Ducati's, the laverda's and all kinds of Japanese equipment with German, Swiss and Dutch license platesscreaming by me like there was no such thing as death, eventually we made the pub at the bottom of Craag-ne-baa and calmed our nerves with some more of the local beverage.

It's actually very rare for a bona fide racer to die on the island, of course it has happened but that does not account for the average of 6 motorcyclists dead each year, Mad Sunday does!!!

·
1,698 Posts
imported post

I was there in 2006 , on a 14 days holiday on my 1500 .they only race every second day , all the others day you can ride the circuit yourself ,(ewen one day without speed limit).
It is a WERY fun place , and a "pilgrim journy" for some of us .
GO there , - a lot to see and do !
Many off the locals offer private accomodation , not to expensive , but make your arrancements EARLY , there are many people who wants to be there .

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
imported post

Travelled from Ramstein AF Base to Ireland/Isle of Mann in 70 and stayed on the main strip in Douglas for $5/night. Happened to catch the last ferry over to Douglas. All the decks were packed with bikes. Mostly sport bikes all smelling of castrol oil.

Like mentioned above, you have to put this high on your motorcycle bucket list. Held in June (I believe)and you can head out to various locations to watch the races. Side-cars are just as exciting.

In 70, to watch the likes of Hailwood (Honda) and when you heard the MV before you could see it, you knew Agostini was on his way.

http://www.ttwebsite.com/history/

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
imported post

About 10 years too late for that fella, occasionally you come across a guy with nuts much bigger than the nextdudes and just like Joey, they're generally outahere real quick, for one reason or another...:sadguy:

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

Chilidawg, That was a good description of your Isle of Man experience! It was like reading a book , I was right there riding with you! I can only imagine how crazy that was! Ha!:jumper:

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

That's one race I'd love to watch - but you'd never get me on the track/road! Those guys are nuts!

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
imported post

i had a honda 500 in the late 80's early 90's, hit a truck tread at night on the fwy, i got a bad wouble and thought i was going down, pulled it out though but not going as fast as these guys, everyone of them coming off those hills had pretty scary woubles. the guy that whent off the road and down the hill didn't seem to be moving.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

When the guys riding these bikes tell me they use Car Tires on the rear that's when My ears will perk up!! until then No w
ay! If you can't afford it you need to check your priorities!:baffled:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.