Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1985 GL1200A and I have a problem. I went for a ride today (first of the year) and had little or no "play" in my clutch handle:(. The more I drove, the less play I had. I knew something was wrong, so I headed home. By the time I got back home, I had no play in the clutch and with the lever pulled in, the bike still wanted to creep. I read the manual that said to check the reservoir, did that and added some fluid, but didn't seem to make much of a difference. I am able to at least stop the bike from creeping, but still little or no "play" in the handle.

I am lead to believe the clutch and/or handle is not adjustable...or are they?

Any advise......:baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Hi Muffy and welcome to the forum. Don't forget to putthe country you live in in yourprofile.Your clutch problemis common on the 1200 and there are two possible causes. Assuming there are no actual fluid leaks, the most usual one is that the brake fluid is worn out and as the bike warms up the fluid loses it's ability to work. Simply bleeding the old fluid out and putting new fluid in fixes this. I've seen a few 1200s lose their clutch feel while in heavy traffic/parade mode simply because of old fluid.
The second cause is a cracked clutch plate, but as your 1200 seems to be fine when cold I'd suspect you just have a fluid problem.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Jason,

I updated my profile.

The clutch lever is not fine when it is cold, but after adding some fluid, I got VERY little play back in the handle.

Also how complicated is bleeding the fluid? Can you give me a quick how-to, and is it something I can do ordoes a repair shop have to do it?I am mechanically inclined, so as long as I don't have to tear down motors and rebuild them, I should be able to do it from an ability standpoint. Do I need any special tools?

Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Hello Muffy. The bleed nipple for the clutch is on the slave cylinder right at the very back of the engine and looking in from left side. Just bleed the system like you would a brake caliper and when the clean fluid comes out you will have a hard lever. If there are no leaks and you still have a soft lever with new fluid, a faulty master cylinder is also a possibility. Excessive amounts of bubbles in the reservoir whil you squeeze the lever is a bad sign. :)

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

No special tools. Get some NEW DOT 4 break fluid. Sounds like a little air got into the master cylinder. On the clutch master cylinder you will see a banjo bolt with a line coming off it. Put a rag under it so you will not get any fluidon ANYTHING but the rag. Next just crack it loose and re snug it up. Now for the fun part! Pull the handle two or 3 times and then hold it tight. As your holding it tight slowly loosen the banjo bolt until nothing comes out. Do this 2or 3 times until you cant hear any air bubbles coming out with the fluid, then tighten the banjo bolt back up. IF you still have a weak clutch then bleed the line and slave cylinder the same way. Except the bleeder valve for the slave cylinder is on the rear of the engine. Also do NOT let the master cylinder run dry ,keep checking it or you will be starting all over again.

Pat non guru:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

I found if I leave the bike on the kickstand with the bars locked to the left I get micro air bubbles in the clutch hoses this gives the symptoms you describe. Once the system is bled, unless you've got a failing seal, then full use should return.

I try to use the mainstand as much as possible. When I don't have a choice, like parking on a slope etc The bike goes on the kickstand with the bars locked fully to the right. Since I started this routine I havn't had to bleed the clutch for over a year, I used to do it at least twice a week!

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

WOW! You people are great. Thanks for the info. I just found this site last night and now I'm hooked. I will be reading, posting and following along from nowon....... GREAT SITE!:clapper:

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

COOL we hooked another one guys:clapper:

Pat

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
imported post

A good way I've used to bleed theclutch is the ONE MAN BRAKE BLEEDER KIT, you can get at auto supply places. The one I have actually sucks air out as fluid goes in. Just make sure you have a tight fit on the bleed nipple, and keep adding the fluid until the unit is sucking out fluid only. Simple, quick and works like a charm.

I haven't tried it on brakes yet.

Great web site!!

Grant

84 ASP 111000km

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Pat,

Thanks for the advise on the banjo bolt bleeding---IT WORKED. I have more play now then I have ever had. :clapper:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Jason wrote:
Hi Muffy Don't forget to putthe country you live in in yourprofile.
Hey Jason :waving:You must be suffering from a bad memory, you were also asked to update your profile a number of times but have failed to do so. :whip:

So how about leading from the front. :jumper:

:weightlifter: :18red: :weightlifter:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Muffy wrote:
WOW! You people are great. Thanks for the info. I just found this site last night and now I'm hooked. I will be reading, posting and following along from nowon....... GREAT SITE!:clapper:
Hey Muffy :waving: Welcome to the forum and visit often. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Newfiewinger wrote:
Great web site.
Hey Newfiewinger :waving: Your a member since Nov.'04 and you still have not completed your profile :whip:please update it and complete the LOCATION section and tell us what country you hide in. :weightlifter:

:jumper::18red::jumper:

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
imported post

OK, Well I had the exact scenerio as Muffy today. On the way to work, clutch started losing "play" and eventually I could not shift anymore and the bike died in the intersection. I pushed it into a parking lot...about 150 feet <phew!> Anyway, I managed to get the bike started and rode home in second gear. Good thing it was Sunday morning at 5am! Then, when I got home from work at 6pm, I tried the above bleeding procedure from the slave and used about 6oz of DOT 4 brake fluid. Well, it's leaking somewhere else... I could hear the fluid sucking air from around the slave cyl somewhere and when I pulled the bike forward, there was fluid on the ground. The sun went down so I couldn't see anything.Sooo...how much does a slave cyl cost?? Any other advice?? :baffled::baffled::baffled:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.