Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here tries to change the bulbs on your 1200 to LED's and had an issue with the LED's not fitting?

I wanted to change mine over but the base is not long enough to allow it to go in all the way.

Has anyone had this issue, and how did you get around it? I've been looking at changing the plugs if necessary, but there's got to be a better way.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Has anyone here tries to change the bulbs on your 1200 to LED's and had an issue with the LED's not fitting?

I wanted to change mine over but the base is not long enough to allow it to go in all the way.

Has anyone had this issue, and how did you get around it? I've been looking at changing the plugs if necessary, but there's got to be a better way.
The correct LED will fit the socket, Whether it fits the housing and emits light in the right direction is another story.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem is that they don't fit. The bulb comes in contact with the socket before the tabs on the brass end can catch in the grooves of the socket.

I tried the some ones I used on my 1100, and even another brand, same problem. I did notice that the sockets on the 1200 taper and allow the bulb to be held "deeper" into the socket.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Hi, I changed most of my 1200 bulbs to LED and installed a HID headlamp. I noticed that the plastic bases of the LED's were "squarer" than the more rounded original incandescents, but with a bit of wiggling and CRC went in for a good snug fit. Which bulb(s) in particular are you replacing?
Cheers,
Peter.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm trying to change the bulbs for the signal/running/brakes. All of the standard bulbs.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
I have got most of my bulbs ex. eBay...and didn't change the indicator/running (amber) lights as I would have needed to replace the flasher unit as well I think, tho you can get LED's with load resistors built in I believe. For the left and right of the headlamp BA9S base (there are a few available still), Number plate BA15S and stop/tail BA15D (for this, ones which are more expensive but do a far better job were ones ex. superbrightleds.com the cheaper eBay ones were just not bright enough for safety.) If you do the stop/tail you will need to bypass the unit behind the battery which would illuminate the "lamp out" bulb on the dash. (unless I guess you have the load resistor in them, or pull the dash bulb!). I also did the lamps in the two meters, and had to remove the original ones completely and install individual LED's, the job was successful, but really not worthy of the time and effort as the difference was minimal. You can get bases ex eBay also if you prefer to make your own bulbs, but there is usually something suitable available. For the HID I used an inexpensive 35watt 6000k single kit. All in all this gave me better road presense and more available output from the stator for....well, more lights!
Hope at least some of this is of help, other members will share their experiences I am sure.
Cheers,
Peter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.