Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thursday morning half a block into my ride to work I dropped my bike at probably 5 miles per hour. As I started to go down I put my foot down to try and stay up, it did not work.

The cause of the fall was the front tire sliding on dirt/sand where the crews installing new underground sewer and water pipes had filled the street back after digging it up.

I put off going to the doctor for 2 days but today after the swelling getting worse I decided to visit the local "today care." After X-rays, the verdict was broken leg. The lower tibula or fibula has a break. The GP said follow-up with ortho, but it looks like the alignment is good and you probably won't need surgery.

I should have put more effort into finding a good set of boots. The running shoes I was wearing definitely did not provide any protection.:frown2:

·
Administrator
25,749 Posts
Did the bike fall on your leg or was it just the strain of trying to hold it up?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did the bike fall on your leg or was it just the strain of trying to hold it up?
The problem was trying to hold it up. The ankle joint rotated far enough that the lower part of the leg bone that forms the joint (based on Google the Malleolus) cracked.

I ended up on the ground with the bike on my leg with the ankle rolled for a few seconds until I could wiggle out from under it.

It makes me wish that I had decided to drive the F-150 to work that day.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,083 Posts
The problem was trying to hold it up. The ankle joint rotated far enough that the lower part of the leg bone that forms the joint (based on Google the Malleolus) cracked.

I ended up on the ground with the bike on my leg with the ankle rolled for a few seconds until I could wiggle out from under it.

It makes me wish that I had decided to drive the F-150 to work that day.
Hind sight is 20-20. It sucks, but you will be back in the wing soon.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Sorry to hear that Wes. Someone on another forum mentioned about not to try to hold it up or you'll end up with a broken leg. Im 5'8" and if the beast wants to go to sleep I let it and just lie down next to her . There is no holding back.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Sorry to hear about your incident. Take the time to let your leg heal, the bike will be there when you are ready. I've dropped my 1200 and 1800. Fought with the 1800 once, won the battle but lost the war - took five weeks for the soreness to leave the shoulder area. Can always fix the bike easier than you. Let the bike take a nap, the only injury to you will be your ego, easy to fix.

Cheers

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The orthopedic surgeon looked at the X-rays and a quick look at the foot, and said keep wearing the boot, take it off and ice the ankle area a couple of times a day and come back next week for another x-ray.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Remember this Wes. You watch a ball game and someone gets injured. The pretty sideline reporter tells us the injury and the player is expected to be back in, say, six weeks. Player inevitably comes back in six weeks. The reason why is that they do everything thing they are told to do.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,240 Posts
Sorry about your leg! Nice thing about the Wing is so many bike naps cause zero damage because of the decent crash/tip bars.

Good advice above! Take the time to heal properly so you do not end up worse later.

·
1,681 Posts
Valentino Rossi was back on his Yamaha Moto GP racer about 3 weeks after a WERY broken leg , and his result was nr. 6 in that race i think .
Maybe call him for advise ? LOL

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New X-rays today. The doctor said the healing appears to be going as well as possible. He expects I won't need crutches to walk (just the support boot) after another week. Come back in 4 weeks for another X-ray.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.