Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Picked up my Wing this PM. Gave the wrench $550.00, he bought the gasket, changed the stator (i ordered that), and changed the fork oil. All total about $710.00 in this trip to the bike doctor. After getting a guesstimate from the closest honda dealer of over $1200.00 for just the stator repair (they would not put in a part I ordered) I feel OK about this. The bike starts instantly, ticks over like a clock, runs out nicley and I have found no leaks yet. Clutch is solid with no sponginess yet, hope it stays that way. I hear all kinds of noises that are probably not there but I am not used to riding without all the plastic on. I have been getting everything back on but I have lost 3 or 4 of the faring grommets and screws thanks to my daughter and her friends playing soccer in the garage. Need to try and find them, not sure where to get more. Any suggestions (short of shooting my daughter-I am kind of fond of her yet.) I am going to have everything together early tomorrow morning and then I am gone for the day, ride till I am tired and ready to come home. I can't wait till tomorrow.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I think you came off real well for $700 having it done. The grommets are still available from bikeshops and eBay often has them available. The screws are for the most part available from hardware stores, most all of them carry metric screws nowadays. I hope you didn't lose and of the washers that have the collars on them. You can make do by getting a piece of steel tubing at a hardware store that fits the screw well. Cut short pieces off with a tubing cutter and thread the resulting spacer on the screw after the washer.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Exavid, that is exactly what she lost for me.I misspoke when I said grommet. I know the grommets are the rubber things the sides fit into to hold them in place. She has to find them for me or else. ????? I still have enough to hold the fairings in place well enough to ride tomorrow.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yeah I kinda thought so. I had to make up a bunch of them when I got my 1200, the guy had taken it apart and put it back together mostly with a screw and washer. The collar and flange pieces are important, the collar keeps the plastic from being tightly clamped down and the washer holds it in. The plastic expands and contracts quite a bit in temperature changes and if held tight it can crack. I have a oxy acetylene torch so I brazed the washer and spacer together but a washer and spacer stacked together on the screw will work as well.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I explained to my daughter (16 yrs old) what happened while she was playing around in the garage and she realy felt bad about loosing the washers. She went out, got down on her knees on a concrete floor with a flashlight and found every screw and washer they lost when they hit the bowl I had them in. They thought they had got them all but when I explained to her they didn't she went and found them for me. What a sweetie. All the tupper wear is on except the piece that goes under the radiator. I have to reposition one of the brackets. Can't seem to get in iin the right position for the fairing to screw up to it without excessive pressure to get it to match up. Appears to be on like the other one but it doesn't line up and it interfers with the oil filter housing. Will get it worked out eventually. Took the wife out for breakfast and rode about 50 - 75 miles no problems or leaks have shown up yet. Letting it sit now after the ride to see if there is any weeping of fluids anywhere. Great to have it back.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

In my shop the rule is that nuts and bolts and such little parts go in cardboard or plastic containers or ziploc bagsthat can be closed with a lid or tape, just for that reason. I've learned that one the hard way.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

You are correct of course, that is why you are a senior guru and I am a lowly whatever LOL. Actually hindsight is 20/20 and I realize I contributed to this by not storing the parts correctly but I am glad she took the responsibility since they weren't suppose to be goofing off in there in the first palce

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Another option is to use one of those magnetic parts bowls, they hang on to stuff pretty good, sometimes too good.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
In my shop the rule is that nuts and bolts and such little parts go in cardboard or plastic containers or ziploc bagsthat can be closed with a lid or tape, just for that reason. I've learned that one the hard way.
It always seems that you are going to put it back together very soon and they does not always happen. It pays to label most just in case it does not go back together for a week or month!! :gunhead:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

goldwinger wrote:
Another option is to use one of those magnetic parts bowls, they hang on to stuff pretty good, sometimes too good.
I've got one but don't use it much, if you're working with fairly small nuts and bolts they tend to get magnetized which makes them harder to handle in close quarters. If you drop a small magnetized nut or washer down the bike it's less likely to fall out the bottom.

Which reminds me a sometimes useful tool I keep in the shop is an old tape head demagnetizer. It's just the thing to demagnetize screwdrivers, nothing more irritating than getting a screwdriver just about on a small screw and it pulls the screw out of place. If you needa toolmagnetized awelding ground magnet works well, just stroke the tool you want magnetized across a strong magnet like that. Make each stroke the same direction, like you're sharpening a knife.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.