Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

On the road today, with the '89 I bought last fall, no maintenance records. Have done quite a bit of maintenance this winter, blowing the dust out of it this afternoon.

Going 65 down the road this afternoon, about 70 miles into the ride. The engine simply stopped.....no warning, no sputter, just stopped. Got off the road.....thought about it, but guys, I'm NO mechanic. I just follow all the instructions on here, and in my maintenance manual. So......stopped, tried a restart. All electrical seemed fine, starter tried, engine didn't turn over.

It's back in the garage, so I can begin freaking out. My intuition has been pounding on me to change the timing belts, as I have NO records from PO. 58,000 miles. Have just jumped in and started all maintenance, but no local belts available. Was planning to orderor drive and get some next week. Really......ya gotta believe me......

Any thoughts as to what I might look for besides the belts?

Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

Long shot here but have you checked the kill switch on the right grip?

If it was timing belts you'd know it. A lot of noise is generated by valves and pistons colliding.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

Start with the basics, make sure you've got gas (don't trust the gauge), check the kill switch, check your fuses, check the fuel filter, pull a plug out and lay it on the engine to check for spark. An engine needs 3 things to run, fuel, compression and spark, check all 3.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

WOW.......good thoughts, guys! Will go check this out! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

GEEZ......

What an idiot. Can we get Steve to have an Idiot's forum? Maybe have a monthly contest?

Kill switch.

Go ahead. Laugh.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I WILL tell ya......I believe God's telling me to get those belts changed. It's on the front burner.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

SB in SC wrote:
How about bank angle sensor?:?
Bank Angle Sensor is reset by turning off the ignition and back on. Not for sure but don't think the starter will even try if Bank Angle Sensor is tripped. 1988through 1993did have arecall onBank Angle Sensors.
Really need more info but doesn't sound like the timing belts broke if you didn't get a lot of noise.
(starter tried, engine didn't turn over) Thinking I would check and make sure the battery is good.
Next suggest you put bike on the center stand, in gear, and see if the engine will turn over using the rear wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

Glad you got it fixed.:D

Thinking I would change the timing belts next.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

flashya2 wrote:
GEEZ......

What an idiot. Can we get Steve to have an Idiot's forum? Maybe have a monthly contest?

Kill switch.

Go ahead. Laugh.
There's a reason we told you to check that, not going to get too much laughter from us.;)

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I've never done that...more than once...this year...

If you werent on the other end of the state from me, I'd head over and help ya change 'em out.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
imported post

flashya2 wrote:
GEEZ......

Kill switch.

Go ahead. Laugh.
No, Your Not An idiot.We Justhave BRAIN FARTS !

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
imported post

I was at a light in traffic a couple of months ago around the noon lunch hour. Traffic was heavy at that time. The light turned green; traffic started moving and my bike just dies. I have this dazed and confused look on my face and secretly felt imbarrassed. The traffic behind me waited patiently while I walked it to the shoulder. I tried to turn it over a couple of time with no success. About the fourth time I glance at the right handle bar and noticed that the kill switch had been bumped to the off position. Boy, I sure felt small. Flicked it, kicked it, and sailed away from the intersection with confidence.

True story!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,178 Posts
imported post

flashya2 wrote:
GEEZ......

Kill switch.

Go ahead. Laugh.
Sorry, can't get a laugh from me. I've never told this before, cuz it's a secret. Ya understand that, right? :D

I'm late for work, pushing it a little bit, weather is cold, so I have those thick heavy snowmobile gloves on. Slow down at a traffic light, almost at work. Oops! Light went red. :cool:

Roll off the throttle and poof! Engine died!:?
Tried to restart... nothing. :pumpkin:

Gas? Uh, it's low down in the red, but I hear it slosh if I wiggle the bike. :p
Restart, nope! Key off, key on, restart, Nope... :(

Then the light bulb goes on. :action:
Those heavy thick gloves hit the kill switch and the fire went out :cooldevil: :cooldevil: :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

glad to hear it was only the kill switch, happened to me at a stoplite, lite turned green and everyone took off,never was really sure how i managed to turn it off, lucky it only took a few seconds to figure out what was wrong

with only 58,000 miles the timing belts should be just fine

the 1500Honda service manual says to inspect the timing belts at 100,000

when i had a 1500 at 100,000 i went through the trouble to inspect the belts and they were like new so i put it back together and kept riding with a big grin

sometimes the belts do get a little loose, if loose they will sort of thump on the belt cover but thats an easy fix

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
imported post

don't feel bad dude, I drive a truck and this past week I hooked a tralier up and could not get it to move an inch. I check to make sure my air lines were hooked up right,and then tried to move again, tried 5 or 6 times but could not get the trailer brakes to release so I call a mechanic to come and check out why I could not get the breaks off on the trailer. For over an hour I checked and rechecked with no luck. the mechanic came out and first thing he did was reach up in the cab to check my lever for the trailer brakes. DOHHHHHH!!! I did not even think of it as a tractor by it's self the lever or hand brake wont work unless a trailer is conected. He told me it's the first thing he checks when a trailer wont release the brakes as most drivers have this happen to them once. I felt so stupid, but I have found out most all the drivers I know have done the same thing at least once before. I have drove for over 30 years and never had that happen before.

So don't feel bad it happens to all of us, sooner or later.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.