Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I drained out any old gas and filled it up with 5 gallons of fresh fuel with Seafoam in it. I switched off the engine and let it crank over until the oil pressure light went off. I turned on the fuel and then gave it a few cranks.On the third time it fired and began to idle. The idle smoothed out but the smell of gas was very strong because it waspouring onto the floor! The carb(s) on the left side are flooding badly and even with a little tap on the float bowl itdidn't quit flooding.I shut the fuel tap off and let it warm up by giving it enough gas by opening/closing the tap without the flooding.

Can I get the bowls off without fully pulling the carbs off the engine??

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

NO you can't. I love simple questions.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
imported post

Once you do it a couple of times, and you will, you can get that Carb Assy off in 20 minutes. I just did it today to see what the dang deal was. I found it and now I'm screaming down the road. It's kinda like cutting the grass down here. None of us really want to do it, but it's gotta be done. Oh, and there's a buttload of beer when you're done.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

No you can not get the bowls off. But you can let it sit overnight with the seafoam in it and pull the drain screw on each bowl without pulling the carbs out. You probably have a great deal of varnish in the carbs gumming things up at the moment. The float needles may reseat themselves once you get enough seafoam ran through it. But pulling the carbs off is no big deal either.
Later Rumple

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Update:

Flooding has ceased with an overnite soak in fresh fuel and some Seafoam. She runs a bit rough and I'm certain some of the jets are clogged. I'm going to warm it up tonight and change the oil & plugs and try riding it a little to see if the carbs will clear out before ordering kits for a full strip down.

·
Premium Member
62,985 Posts
imported post

I bought a 99 Magna with 893 miles in 07.. Had be seating for years.. Had about the same problems as yours.. Lots of Seafoam and the carbs finally came out of it.. Took about 4 tanks of gas.. Good luck............

·
Premium Member
62,985 Posts
imported post

I bought a 99 Honda Magna in 2007 it only had 893 miles on it.. Had be seating for years was donated to a church.. They got it to run and that's about it.. I road it home from LA.. Ran but real rough and I got less than 30 mpg on the trip home.. Had about the same problems as yours.. Lots of Seafoam and the carbs [4] finally came out of it.. Took about 5 tanks of gas.. Good luck............

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
imported post

Not to scare you, but this is how carbs get if not stored properly for an extended period. I never did get the carbs right and had to replace them.

Moral: Use stabil. It will protect the carbs and and I'm told it may also protect against tank rust.

Does anyone know conclusively that Sea Foam and/or Stabil will offer rust protection during storage?

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.