Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the Braided brake lines for my 1500, put the right front one on and couldn’t get it to get pressure to the calipers,got fluid but no pressure so I guessed it was Master cylinder worn out but was holding good pressure before,ordered rebuild kit for brake and clutch side,got to thinking might as well do the caliper as well so now I have to wait on the parts,maybe the weather will cool off before they are here,was surprised at the small hole in the brake line,now I understand why bleeding takes time,not much fluid going through those lines but when it’s bled and pressure is there it dosent make any difference what size hole it is.

Reactions: AZgl1800

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sucking air back in.......

I hope it works out. Steel braided brake lines I bought, the rear to front went on correctly. The front to front had the end crimped on 180* off. PIA. Got it on and working, but would have been nice if it was right.

David

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ends aren’t exact fit but not too far off.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Bought the Braided brake lines for my 1500, put the right front one on and couldn’t get it to get pressure to the calipers,got fluid but no pressure so I guessed it was Master cylinder worn out but was holding good pressure before,ordered rebuild kit for brake and clutch side,got to thinking might as well do the caliper as well so now I have to wait on the parts,maybe the weather will cool off before they are here,was surprised at the small hole in the brake line,now I understand why bleeding takes time,not much fluid going through those lines but when it’s bled and pressure is there it dosent make any difference what size hole it is.
If it worked before it should work again. :unsure: .I bet either the small hole in the master is partially plugged or there is air in the system. How did you bleed the line?

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
Sucking air back in.......

I hope it works out. Steel braided brake lines I bought, the rear to front went on correctly. The front to front had the end crimped on 180* off. PIA. Got it on and working, but would have been nice if it was right.

David
You can turn those ends in the line.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it worked before it should work again. :unsure: .I bet either the small hole in the master is partially plugged or there is air in the system. How did you bleed the line?
Just normal bleeding procedure,it would pump A little fluid ,when I loosened the bleeder fluid would come out and air came out but it just would not buil pressure,30 years old I suspect it is right on the edge to replace,I got it apart and pushing the plunder through by hand it dosent have much friction .

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
550 Posts
Can't tell you how many guys would buy braided stainless clutch hoses for the Porsche 968, install them, and then find they blew the master or slave cylinder.

It got so that a normal part of the replacement routine (or advice to someone doing it) was to just replace them at the same time, too. Those cars were in the 1992-95 range.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Huum,guess doino what im planning is right in line👍

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess everything happens for a reason,glad it happened now,caliper had brown matter in it,used air to blow out the plunger but one was contrary,100 pounds of air had problems blowing one out.All cleaned up and waiting on parts,left side caliper is standing by for rebuild in near future.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
This one is right front but I guess they are neat after seeing the mess in this one

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just normal bleeding procedure,it would pump A little fluid ,when I loosened the bleeder fluid would come out and air came out but it just would not buil pressure,30 years old I suspect it is right on the edge to replace,I got it apart and pushing the plunder through by hand it dosent have much friction .
I dont remember where the bleed valve is. I remember 1 bike I owned i had to pull the caliper and make sure the bleeder was higher than the caliper or you could reverse bleed

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
You can get air trapped at the MC banjo bolt. I had this problem with the clutch once. To fix it, do your normal bleed first. Then put gobs of paper towels under the banjo bolt. Get the bolt loosened up a tad but not to where it leaks yet (so you can easily loosen it with one hand). Pull the lever and while it's pulled, loosen the bolt and retighten. Do this a couple of times, tighten up and see if you have pressure.
Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
When you try priming brake line is a vice grips to help get it out work a small area at a time of your seals are ok it will pump out air and get firm

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought a mini vac,just today got the MC kit,Thanks for all the input.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts