Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This past winter while my GW sat for the third/forth year due to my bad health, I notive a leak up front coming from the timing belt covers. I'll be replacing the timing belts this year and just wanted to know what the likely culprit is going to be for the oil and water, which does have the proper kind and amount of anti-freeze in it.

Since I will have the timing belt cover off, I was wondering if some of the seals can be replaced without it being to much of a problem and what parts and tools might I need in pulling the seals, etc.? :baffled:

Radiator is going to a radiator shop and more than likely, my gas tank too, and will be replacing the hoses to, that is if I can still find some new one.

Anyway, what is your best guess for which seal needs to be replaced up front behind the timing belt covers? :baffled:

Rockhound Rider :coollep:

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

There are only three seals in there one of each cam and the main main crank..all oil no water..the is more likely coming from a leak above and running down into or around the timing belt covers.

The cam seals are available at NAPA(Napa ATM 2117994 Product Line: Altrom ), the crank is harder to find..but http://www.hdlparts.com/ has it. Note if there is an oil leak from one of those seals it should be obvious at the seal and just below it.

Radiator hose..Cut in half to make 2 hoses) NAPA - 7733 or
Gates - 21008

timing belts at NAPA; GL1000 & GL1100
Gates - #5119 or #T274 (2ea.)
NAPA - #250274 (2 ea.)
Goodyear - #40274 (2 ea.)

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

there are only 3 seals under the belt covers. a front crankshaft seal and a cam shaft seal , right an left . all deal with oil only . so if there not leaking oil in to the covers and on the belts i`d leave them alone. if you have to replace theme they can be done with out any specale tools.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

In my situation, it was the water pump that needed fixen. Wow what a job!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.