Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After four long years of being apart, the 82 GL1100 went for a ride today!!! The list of what I have done to it is quite long. Any aluminum I removed, I polished (the polished parts list is extensive). The plastic was repainted, all brand spanking new emblems, carbs rebuilt and synched, valves adjusted, new fuel pump, new timing belts, new water pump, rebuilt rear shocks, new weather seals for the saddlebags and trunk. Any metal that was black, was sandblasted and repainted, next time I'm going to get a powder coat system instead of painting. I flushed the brakes, but during the ride the rear brake and the left front brake started dragging. Tomorrow I am going to try and disassemble them and clean them. If while in there and they look like the just need all new seals and rubber, well no since cutting corners at this point, time to order some more. When it it os finally all done, I'll post some pic's after she gets all purtied up.

Now for the bad news, after 180k miles, the GL1200 sidecar started knocking. It's terminal. I did not grenade the motor. It will still start but knocks worse than a door to door salesman. I'm either going to have to get a good used engine or try to locate the parts to rebuild it. Mother Honda no longer carries the oil pump or main crankshaft bearings. This is Carol's ride, so it will be revived in her honor. I'm going to drain the tank and carbs to try to keep them from getting real bad. It may be awhile before I get her fixed.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
I wouldn't drain the tank. Left empty it can draw moisture and rust. Better to fill it to keep it from rusting.

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't drain the tank. Left empty it can draw moisture and rust. Better to fill it to keep it from rusting.
After draining the tank I had planned on leaving the gas cap off to allow air circulation in the tank. The rig will remain in a garage so it really wont be exposed to the elements. If the cap is closed and left on the tank I can see how humidity and condensation will cause rust on the inside the tank. If gas is left in the tank for longer than six months, it will turn to varnish and be another problem that I'll have to deal with at a later date. I'm trying to minimize the amout of work it will take to revive her when I have the time and money. But I will consider the thought of every month or so, draining and replenishing the tank with fresh gas. Any gas I drain I will mix in my 27 gal tank on my pick up. Cost wise it'll come out the same just alot more labor involved.

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the brakes working. Will clean her up tomorrow for her photo shoot.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
I filled my acid cleaned CBR tank with diesel until I seal it. That way no chance of rust and I will drain the fuel and use it in my tractor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.