Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I really wish I had pictures to show you all but here's my story.

A few weeks ago, I tore my back up again, so I've not been riding (insert foul language here).

This past Saturday, I went out to the garage to get some stuff, and had to move my wing. She, like always, fired rite up, the engine purred, and the exhaust yelled "RIDE ME NOW".

I dropped her into 1st, to inch her out, and wow, something didn't feel right. I put her back on her stand, and shut her down. I found that my brand new disliked DUNLOP E3 was FLAT.

I fired up my compressor and filled the tire, and brought her out to the drive way, to get a closer look. Upon closer examination, I found the sidewall on the right side was showing cord. Now this tire has maybe 3000 miles on it. The tread is still perfect.

Now I know when I did the dismount and mounting of the tire and rim, I had a million questions that I posted here, and got great replies, which gave me the confidence to do the job my self. However, when I put the thing back together, I remember that I had forgotten where the spacer went. This created a WABBLE that only went away when I put on the brakes. I pulled it all apart again and put the spacer on the other side of the brake caliper mount thing and the vibration left.

Now nowhere during this process did I ever check the clearance between the tire and the swing arm, and I am thinking the only thing that could have happened here is, I had some tire rub against the swing arm, and now my tire is trashed.

If you may remember, I followed my help request posts with a post regarding my dislike of this new tire. I would now like to post this question.

Could the noise and dislike of this tire be my own fault?
Could my mistake have caused the issues?
Do I want to go to the dark side? (Tire only, no harley)

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

You could have easily caused the side wear of the new tire.
It could have also been the reason you didn't like it much although I don't like them much myself.

Car tire? That's up to you.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

kcid,

Sorry to hear of your back going out, went through it this past June L3-L4 blown out, couldn't work for 6 + weeks and didn't have enough $ for the ride planned in Aug back there to fam reunion in NH. But thankfully I was able to ride here, my back wouldn't let me sit in a chair or car/van seat in the upright position, the saddle I could sit on for 2-3 hrs before siatic would start complaining in my thigh

The rub as Rudy mentioned might(probably) have been caused with the spacer on the wrong side but as you said you didn't check the clearence, we won't know for shure unless you are asking us to assume, you know what you get with that, right? :)

And it is your choice on darksiding, read if you haven't the threads on it, do a search, Many out there say they won't go back to M/C tire.

Find the things to be thankful for. And say yes dear to keep the peace.

Happy Thanksgiving!

:byebye:

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

OK, so now I have this bruise on my shoulder from where the violent woman hit me for blaming her. A man can never win.

I will be 100% honest, she bought me the wing for my B'day. She has been by my side for over 30 years, during which, I may not have made the most intelligent decisions, but she's stuck by me. (it could be the GORILLA GLUE I applied on our wedding night), but as usual, I will through her under the bus, forgetting the fact that if she goes under, I'm right there with her. When I tried telling her it was her bike and she had to fix it, she took the keys. She wins again.

I have been reading with great interest about car tires. I do many miles, a minimum of 100 a day, and that's just commuting. My recreational mileage varies, but I've been thrilled with 22k miles on a Dunlop tire.

I know the issue I have right now is 100% my doing. I guess my question is, what did I do wrong.

Was it from having the spacer in the wrong spot, or was it that I may have OVER TORQUED the axle nut?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Spacer

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

And Don't throw her under the bus!!!! Sounds like a good woman. Repent and go on. Life is good!

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
imported post

Give her a big kiss, then go make up with your wife.

:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

escogold wrote:
And lay off the Vicodin.
You are scaring me..

1. It's not VICODEN, it's PERCOSET

2. You forgot the VALIUM

3. But wait, I'm not riding while I'm on these.... just blaming the wife for it all.

@ NEWDAY, she's to a good woman, She's the best.

@ everyone else, no she does not read these posts (as far as I know)

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Careful bro, she can read your mind :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

And the two shall become one

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

So, did you bend over backwards for her and that hurt your back?

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

newday777 wrote:
So, did you bend over backwards for her and that hurt your back?
I am perplexed in how to answer this question.

I am by nature, a wise a$$, so that would give me the inclination to say YES

I have also found it best, most times to be honest, and that would give me the inclination to say NO.

Being fairly well medicated at the present time, gives me the inclination to say MAYBE.

But back to the honest side of me, I blew out 4 disks while in Panama, back in '88, not even doing anything fun.:sadguy:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Ah yes, let your yes be yes and your no be no.
Mine has been coming on from being a bullheaded framer in the 70s and 80s to which I said 'shure we can do it!'
DAh. NOT GOOD FOR DA BACK! So now we pay the piper, eh?

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

...buy another tire, put it all back together correctly this time, and try again.

Don't let the drugs tell you that now is the perfect time to graduate to the intricacies of the Dark Side.

Let's get the basics of maintenance down first before something really bad happens.

:)

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

ya like the tire falling off the rim!

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
imported post

Look at your swing arm to see if there is a wear mark there. I like most think it was the spacer.

I love E3 Dunlops but that's my choice. You may differ as many do. Hard to condemn a tire that you haven't given a fair chance.

I'm one of those guys that think car tires belong on...cars of course, lol I always hope the ppl that put em on their bikes have great luck, great times and many miles of smiles with them.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
imported post

Yeah, I agree on the spacer too. Get a nicely used E3 on Ebay for $50 and try it (with correct install) to make sure you don't like the dunny's. I really like my E3's and have been for over 5 yrs.
The thought of going DS is very inviting and probably will soon. Remember, there is a time to re learn how to ride with ct's on the back. Rudy has been successfully riding a Federal Formosa ct on back. read his review. Don't throw out the idea of the E3's till after you install one right, and ride it a few K.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

It's a motorcycle, put motorcycle tires on it. The cost difference is insignificant. The handling, especially in the rain is far better with the E3. My humble opinion.

Steve

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

Spacer . Check it this time before you ride. Make sure you brace the swing arm when you remove the axle. The tyre is all your choice. too many view points on the subject.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
imported post

"I will be 100% honest, she bought me the wing for my B'day. '

How soon until your next birthday? 1800?

Can she send my wife an E-mail?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.