Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So next week I get to get down and dirty with my LTD and fix some little niggles that have been bugging me. I figure since I'll have it apart, and I can afford for it to be down for a bit, this would be the time to change the timing belts since I have no idea when the PO changed them last. I found a set of gates belts that I can order for about $30.

The question is, my bike has 115,000 miles on it, should I be changing the tensioners also, and if so, where the hell do I get them. Also, are there any other things I should change while I'm in there (IE idler pullies and such, if so equiped). Any help would be great so I can get the parts on order and get them here by next week.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Check the idler pulleys/tensioners for roughness and or play in the bearings, if they check out use them else your in for sticker shock when you go to buy new ones.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

What are the odds they'll still be good at that milage?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

blackknytecnc wrote:
What are the odds they'll still be good at that milage?
I'd say about 10 to 1.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

I think the odds a pretty good, since you haven't complained about any noise. New belts should get you 30-50,000 miles down the road. Not sure if the tensioners will last till 160,000. If it were mine, and I was planning on keeping the bike for some time, I would be tempted to throw a new set at it. But like Ken says, they're spendy. Last I checked about $75 each.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Bearings can last almost forever or fail in a very short time. A friend, and yes Mike I do have one,:shock: had one go on his then new 85 at about 10,000KM. He said there was no warning just a load squeal and the smell of burning rubber. He was a bit POed that the dealer replaced the bearing under warranty and left the old belt on but it was still running when he sold it 50,000KM later.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Ok, so it sounds like maybe I'll be ok not ordering the pulleys, but how much play should there be in bearings so I know when I check 'em.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

blackknytecnc wrote:
Ok, so it sounds like maybe I'll be ok not ordering the pulleys, but how much play should there be in bearings so I know when I check 'em.
That's hard to say from afar but none to very little is good, any roughness however means it's time to change them.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

if it was mine and i was going to keepthe bikei would change them. you will have done the work just changing the belts. you canput car pullys in and save some money. i have hundi pullys in one of mybikes, they are better made than the original. somewhere there issome information on using car pullys, just cant remember where i saw it. someone else should know. regards :waving: walkabout

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Napa Gates are 22 bucks for two..Try ****** At whiteys classic wings for tensioners and springs. Got two near http://whiteysclassicwings.com perfect for 40 for two

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Hes got a set for 30 now Just checked.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

ceasefire49 wrote:
Try ****** At whiteys classic wings for tensioners and springs. Got two near http://whiteysclassicwings.com perfect for 40 for two
Keep in mind those would be used, not new... You could also rebuild the ones you have for about $20-$25 each.. (See the Reference and FAQ Forum THREAD HERE DOCUMENT HERE)

Edit: the links in the first post of the referenced thread are broken (and I hope in the process of being fixed), but the document link is above, or later in that referencedthread (t'words the end)

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Yep they are used But I have them on mine and they appear to be pretty good and a ton better then what I had on there. I am going to take the old ones this winter and see if I can use your rebuild instruction.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Yeah, so my conscience is getting to me, I just ordered the set from whiteys, I'll compair them to mine, whichever set is in better shape will go on the bike, the other set I'll try to rebuild later on when I have more time.

By the way,thanks for the heads up on the napa belts being cheaper, I'll grab 'em there.

Thanks for all the responses!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
imported post

Why not rebuild the tensioners with new bearings? There is a thread somewhere here showing how to do that.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Why not rebuild the tensioners with new bearings?
Like I said, that is what I'm going to do, just not right now. While I have a fantastic collection of tools and am fairly confident in my abilities, I'd hate to get into that rebuild and screw it up with no back up (like I often do). I've only got about a week to do all the stuff I'm gonna do to the bike.

That being said, that rebuild thread will save me a fortune once I have time to try it and can afford to screw it up :action:

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Hey if you shake them babies if you get any wobble or sound at all inside then you want to replace them..I have Had ******'s on for awhile now. No more whine. ****** is a pretty reliable guy. Won't sell you junk. Don't know where you are in East Mesa but I got mine down at RIP's Napa on Apache Trail. He has the Radiator cap,Thermostat and fuel filter change over also. If you go to the search deal or the forum index you will see a list of all napa and other pasts you can use. Neoracer told me the thermostat runs a little warmer then stock but not much.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

ceasefire49 wrote:
Hey if you shake them babies if you get any wobble or sound at all inside then you want to replace them..I have Had ******'s on for awhile now. No more whine. ****** is a pretty reliable guy. Won't sell you junk. Don't know where you are in East Mesa but I got mine down at RIP's Napa on Apache Trail. He has the Radiator cap,Thermostat and fuel filter change over also. If you go to the search deal or the forum index you will see a list of all napa and other pasts you can use. Neoracer told me the thermostat runs a little warmer then stock but not much.
ceasefire, shaking babies is a crime in most states-even Arizona:ssshh:

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Hey my dad always told he SHOULD have shook some sense into me when I was little..so naturally I thought that was the thing to do. Thanks for the tip though.:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.