Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Well all, I have started my 3 strikes, strike one, Baby layed down on me........:(

Flopped over like a dying fish:shock::shock:

At least it was in the driveway under semi good circumstances........... It's amazing how fast you look around:cheeky1::cheeky1:

Nuts, at least the crash bars did their job. I must say it's not that hard to pick her up:waving:

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

I don't know. I find them to be a monster to pick up. In fact, I'm not sure I could do it alone. I set this one down on it's side before I ever rode it. I was taking it off the trailer when I first bought it and got it leaning over and slowly set her down. Luckily it was in my garage. I tried picking it up but that appeared to be a good way for more back surgery, so I took my winch and winched it up. Then I did a careful inspection and found everything to appear ok.
So I got that out of that way right away.

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

ITs ok ,you will be ok . You have taken the first steps in admitting your problem . You have taken the second step in coming to the meeting place to be with like persons . Continue to attend the daily sessions we hold here .

:cheeky1: Now get over it and :action:ride that puppy .

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
imported post

the best way to stand one up when they are on there side is put it in revers so the bike wont move, then you stand with your butt agianst the seat, grab the handle grip with your right hand, grab the seat rail with your left hand, then you slowly walk backwords, i know it sounds like alot of stuff but mine fell over in the yard once and i sawl on uyoutube where you can do these steps and its easy..... hope it will help someone

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

You know back when I was a young punk, :cooldevil:we used to ride them up.:cool: Why I remember.................................:?

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

It's funny how you see what's happening in slow motion, then just let go and listen for the crunch.......:D:D:D

Yep, I did the butt in the seat trick, worked good for me.

I have strong legs and back so it wasn't a problem for me.........:action:

I told the wife, it's official I own a GoldWing, and she looked at me and said, what did you do drop it???????:shock::shock::shock::shock:

Next time I'll try the putting it in reverse, hoping there is no next time, but we all know there will be.......:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

afterdark wrote:
the best way to stand one up when they are on there side is put it in revers so the bike wont move, then you stand with your butt agianst the seat, grab the handle grip with your right hand, grab the seat rail with your left hand, then you slowly walk backwords, i know it sounds like alot of stuff but mine fell over in the yard once and i sawl on uyoutube where you can do these steps and its easy..... hope it will help someone
I've had some local wingers tell me the same thing. In fact one of my customers who's 77 years old and just bought a toy hauler from me to haul his two goldwings south for the winter said he uses that method. Holy cow, 77 year old men are stronger than I am. I don't know if that will work for those of us who have busted up backs but I suppose there will be a day when I have to try that method. Maybe I should lay it down with something soft under scratchable parts and see if I can stand it up. I could always use the winch if I fail.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

I'll be 57 come Aug 1 and I am not in the best of physical condition....not anywhere close!

But after seeing a young lady pick up an 1800 on a video, I was determined that i was going to pick up my 1500, if I ever laid it down. Twice now I have HAD to pick her up!

Like stated above, grab handlebar and passenger seat rail, with your butt to the machine and lift with your legs.

Unless you are Charles Atlas or Hercules, you aren't going to pick one up facing it!

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
imported post

if your out in a area that no 1's around , ya got no choice , i have bad back and knee , at that time i had a 1300 vtx , it come up useing the back agaist the seat , but i felt it big time , but was so mad i had to lay it down i just grabed and lifeted it up , next time it happens i will stay calm and do it the right way

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

In all actuallity I do have a bad back and bad knees,(surgery twice on the same one)but strong as a horse. It really helped that the bikedoesn't lay flat and you can get a good hold of it. Use your legs and you will be OK. Just don't get in a hurry!!:D

That's how it fell down on me........:dude:

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear your wing decided to take a nap on you.You are a real GOLDWING owner now.Glad you nor the bike was hurt.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

Yea we all know it will happen sooner or later, or both.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

ddrumman2004 wrote:
Unless you are Charles Atlas or Hercules, you aren't going to pick one up facing it!
Well, not exactly. I'm 67 and have done it this way. However, it's probably not the best for your back. Once I laid it completely on it's side in the grass, and it took me and a real young guy to get it back up. He was really surprised at how much it weighed.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

Mine was on the side stand and rolled forward a bit and eased over onto the left engine guard, which upset me enuf that I just grabbed the left seat handle and picked it up. but the seat handle handgrip butt method should work beter than just yanking back up

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

mine laid down by itself once and i needed help to get it back up[my own stupidity].
took it to the back yard after watching the video and laid it down on the grass,left and right sides four times and picked it up each time. when it is on the right side set your side stand before righting it so you don't have to pick it up again from the left ha. 71 years young

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

Dropped mine 4 times in quick succession in 2006-07. Picked it up the wrong way each time, (facing it, adrenalin and curses:cheeky1:

The only time I had to ask for help was to get it off the center stand in SC when it sank into the soft tarmac. Luckily there were some US Marines in the same hotel and one of those kind gentlemen helped me.:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I guess that means I am official owner also. Wife and I came back from somewhere a couple weeks ago. I made the little turn in front of the garage (behind the house) like I have before thousands of times with numerous bikes (I like to back it in so I can just ride it out the next day, also a small hill leaving garage). I grabbed the front brake just a touch too hard and over we go. I was all but stopped. I fought as much as I could but ended up tossing my wife into the grass and I just kinda stepped away from it. After making sure my wife was fine (she was), I remembered the backwards/passenger grab rail/handlebar lifting technique and it came right up. Do I get a prize for a 2-up dump? :D

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
imported post

OOOOOOO my ,glad the wife was OK...:doh:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.