Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

1994 GL1500. It starts on full choke, but running bad. If I reduce the choke, it dies. So it basically will only run on full choke. If I give it a little throttle, it dies, but I can apply lots of throttle and get it to rev up to 3 or 4000 rpm.

I've been letting it sit for two long. While I have ridden it briefly and started it about monthly, the gas in it was a year old, so I replaced it. I also added a little seafoam. Nothing seems to help.

Any ideas? Something stuck in one of the carbs, perhaps?

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Try a LOT of seafoam :p seriously, a bottle in a tank or stronger!

If you've got a good load of fuel in there now, you may want to try something a bit more aggressive than Seafoam to try to clean things out -- We have great success with BG44K as a general fuel solvent.

I recommend changing the filter BEFORE adding any cleaner (so that you're not washing the deposits from the filter into the carbs).

Once you've got your tank full of the good fuel/solvent mixture, you'll need to try to get all of the old fule in your float bowls replaced (either by buring off the old stuff, or just draining the bowls an allowing them to refill.

Don't be afraid to let em soak a day or so, but continue to exercize the demons with fairly regular throttle applications (as you describe) slowly returning the throttles to closed (like run to 3K then step-back in 200rpm increments to idle - seeing how far you get each time).

You may also wanna open up the air box and directly exercize the slides, using seafoam or a bit of the BG44K as a lubricant until they move smoothly to light finger pressure.

After that... if you can be certain that your spark, and vacuum systems are happy and tight, you may be looking at digging deeper into your carbs.

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,259 Posts
imported post

+2 on Satan's post.

I am working with my 1500's carbs right now. Same exact symptoms you mention.

I ran the bike out on a long run trying to get it to loosen up but no cigar. Ran out all the fuel down to a 1/2 gallon.

Poured in a full can of Sea Foam. Got it started (on center stand) and kept backing off the choke keeping the RPM below 2,000. Finally after a half hour, it would run at about 1,100 RPM and I just walked off and left it idling for about an hour.

When I checked it next, I took off the choke completely and it idled very smooth at 650 RPM. But, open the throttle a bit and 'poof!' it would die. Get it up over 2,500-3,000 RPM and it would continue to run fairly smooth.

Okay, the slides aren't working. Not quite ready to pull the covers off yet. I took it out and went into 5th gear at about 20 mph. Then I just kept up rocking the throttle back and forth for what must have been 15 or 20 minutes.

It is a bit better, not perfect, but encouraging to me. I will continue what I am doing for another week or two. IF that meets with success, I got off Scott free. IF not, then I will pull the stuff off the top of the carbs and start to pour in pure Sea Foam on the slides and start working them by hand.

IF that don't fix it up, then there are vacuum lines or diaphragms that need attention.

I like to divide up the problems bit by bit, not just charge into the bottom of it unless it is broke and truly broke.

4 years ago, I fixed a '94 GL1500SE with carbs that were grossly worse than what I have now. All with Sea Foam and a lot of patience. Took six months on that one, but it cleaned up and run smooth.

Sea Foam and other products are NOT an over night panacea for fixing stuff that is clogged up. give them time to dissolve the gunk.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

As I read these post I have a couple of questions. :stumped:

With the problems mentioned would you recommend running a bottle of this Sea Foam in a tank of fuel periodically as a preventive measure? Mayby once a month, every other tank, or something like that. Just a thought I had. I haven't had any issues with my 95 yet but preventive maintainance is much easier than having to fix something that could be prevented. What are your thoughts and ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I have a gallon of Naphtha. I bought it at Sherwin Williams paint store with my mother-in-laws discount.

I do not know what I will do with it. I will probably us it to clean my paint guns.

I like taking carbs apart to clean, but these damn carbs is a pain to remove and take apart.

I guess on could disconnect the fuel line (vacuum petcock), and run the engine till the carbs are out ofgas. Fill the line with some sortof mixture concoction of Seafoam, naphtha, and gas or other types of fuel cleaners. And, then try and start and nurse the engine back. May need to take the air cleaner off and prime with a little more gas to get and run engine to get the carb cleaning solution back out out the carb.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

did you try looking at the drain hoses for moisture etc ,,they are located on the left front of the bike behind the cowling you will see 2 clear [brown by now] tubes with a black plug on the bottom with a small c clip just pull them off and you may find they are full. ther next step is just check the gas filter located under the gas door just to the right of the gas cap it may be plugged or to old to let the gas thru with a proper flow . just a couple of quick checks before you have to go in deeper ......

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Hi sailor , carbs are probably gummed up but try tapping the fuel bowls , might be a hung float.?
Check the fuel pump , filter and gas cap.
As for cleaners , if you can get a good dose into the carbs let them sit for a couple days then run her up and see if any improvement . If it seems to be comming back , keep running the cleaners through it until she is back to normal.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
imported post

Parman........My vote for a full can of seafoam on a full tank twice a year.

Burn 1/2 tank on Saturday.......let sit over night.......run other 1/2 tank on Sunday and feel good about your carbs. (you will)

Just my two cents,
RED

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

Thanks Bigred1. I can actually do that during the week. I burn a tank every two days going to and from work.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
imported post

Expect odor.......

My GL1100 ran great while I did my doses.....but some stink is there for sure. I have noticed more and more, larger doses of the seafoam are more effective judging by the posts placed . (full can)

The first post I read of a large dose was from a fellow who did it in error....with great results. Also, I've read threads involving huge doses of seafoam in the tank to get a sleeping giant's carbs going enough to see if the motor was worth awakening......even pure seafoam was mentioned on occasion.

All and all, good product indeed,
RED

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

I don't know how much Seafoam is TOO MUCH but I know a fellow employee ran his poor-performing grass trimmer on straight Seafoam. Didn't run great but it ran. He tried it after seeing this video:

Lawnmower runs on straight Seafoam

Grass trimmer ran great after the treatment.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

As another posting warns us again this past week, don't use Emgo fuel filters.

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,259 Posts
imported post

On the older '94SE that I mentioned having very poor carbs. I was working full time and road it to work everyday and on weekends. It was my primary transportation.

18 miles one way to work. After the initial pure Sea Foam treatments, I just ran a 1/2 can per tank of fuel until the bike finally smoothed up and ran the way it should.

Now, with Ethanol in the fuel, I am going to keep a little Sea Foam in the tank when I top it off for a rest of a few weeks.

My riding will be changing as soon as I get permission from the beagle, right now, it is a "hide and scoot" type of ride. Not as much fun.

·
751 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
On the older '94SE that I mentioned having very poor carbs. I was working full time and road it to work everyday and on weekends. It was my primary transportation.

18 miles one way to work. After the initial pure Sea Foam treatments, I just ran a 1/2 can per tank of fuel until the bike finally smoothed up and ran the way it should.

Now, with Ethanol in the fuel, I am going to keep a little Sea Foam in the tank when I top it off for a rest of a few weeks.

My riding will be changing as soon as I get permission from the beagle, right now, it is a "hide and scoot" type of ride. Not as much fun.
what azgl1500 wrote is good But I would use BG44 k I think its alittle stronger then seafoam A while ago here in Colorado I cold pick some up at advance auto parts! Goood luck in whatever you deside to do Craig !

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
imported post

Be sure to change out the 5 filters (oil, air, fuel, sub, cruise) or else it can't run right. especially the fuel filter. If it's full of bad gas and ..... you don't have a chance. good luck

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
imported post

Have you checked the petcock? I had the same symptoms recently and when I dug down to the carbs, I found that the fuel kept pouring in andflooding them. I rebuilt mine 2 seasons previous, but found the aftermarket diaphragm blistered, not shutting the fuel off. Check the vacuum line to the petcock as well to make sure it's connected and doesn't have any cracks in it.

It's an easy check before digging into the carbs.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
imported post

grahamd wrote:
did you try looking at the drain hoses for moisture etc ,,they are located on the left front of the bike behind the cowling you will see 2 clear [brown by now] tubes with a black plug on the bottom with a small c clip just pull them off and you may find they are full. ther next step is just check the gas filter located under the gas door just to the right of the gas cap it may be plugged or to old to let the gas thru with a proper flow . just a couple of quick checks before you have to go in deeper ......
I saw those hoses. What do they drain? Should I be emptying them from time to time? If full, what problems could that cause?

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,707 Posts
imported post

hummer5205 wrote:
what azgl1500 wrote is good But I would use BG44 k I think its alittle stronger then seafoam A while ago here in Colorado I cold pick some up at advance auto parts! Goood luck in whatever you deside to do Craig !

I just picked up 2 cans of seafoam at Wallyworld in Port Huron Mich. Paid around $ 7.50 a can.

What is BG44 K worth a can?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.