Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Magic Moderator
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And so far its passing. I swapped the Linux Mint 19.1Xfce out of the case and put the 18.3 Cinnamon in it and its doing well. That stand alone case has been a wonderful purchase and allowing me to have less laptops and more operating systems.
Right now I am working on the 18.3 Cinnamon on the Dell E6410. It's running on a Seagate 500GB 7200rpm hard drive in the external drive case. I have it set so that it can boot from the USB first and if the hard drive is present that's where it goes.

·
Administrator
57,421 Posts
good to hear.

wish I could say as much for this ASUS TUF laptop.
it is continuing to refuse to install any version of Linux.

I know better than to buy the Very Latest and Greatest POS....
it always bytes me in the ass.

·
Magic Moderator
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish you'd have waited as I can get a screaming Dell from PCs for people and this isn't a Latitude like I have it's a Precision. https://pcsrefurbished.com/sales/productPage.aspx?productID=6655
I can max the RAM to 32 and run 3 hard drives internally. I'll bet 18.3 Cinnamon would fly on this one.
By chance is there a boot order in that laptop? I have mine set to boot from the USB first if its present.

·
Magic Moderator
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good to hear.

wish I could say as much for this ASUS TUF laptop.
it is continuing to refuse to install any version of Linux.

I know better than to buy the Very Latest and Greatest POS....
it always bytes me in the ass.
I think I'd be to the point with that laptop where one of us is going to win and the other is going to lose. The Dell I'm looking at holds 3 hard drives internally. I know if I bite the bullet and buy it, Windows10 will see the door and Linux will be sent in. All three versions 19.1Xfce, 18.3 Cinnamon and Peppermint9.
Me personally I'd extract the hard drive and replace it with a pre-made Linux one and now I'd challenge it, Windows isn't there to run the show and the Linux should make itself at home, unless something else is causing it to not work.
Is there an online repair manual for that laptop?

·
Administrator
57,421 Posts
no info on this laptop at all, just basic descriptions from reviews.
it is too new.... wish I had never seen the damn thing.
I bet that it will be another 2 years down the road before a kernel is written that supports it.

·
Magic Moderator
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just found the owners manual at the website. It will probably be quite some time before they get to something that advanced. I wish you'd have waited as a good one comes along every now and then. Like the one in post #3.
Most of my fleet is older laptops with my fastest being the E6410.
Maybe Red Hat/Fedora has something? Tom always used that one for some reason, as a computer shop owner.

·
Administrator
57,421 Posts
I get very aggravated with slow response PCs.

that is why I bought a fast CPU, a big 16gB graphics card, and 16gB RAM.

on Win10, it is fast as greazed lightning, so on Linux, when I'm finally able to get it installed, will be blisteringly fast.

·
Magic Moderator
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The one I listed is 2.9 processor and give it a total of 32 RAM and everything will fly on it. Somebody bought one, there were 6 earlier.

·
Magic Moderator
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Magic Moderator
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a really nice laptop, but way above what I'm willing to pay. I just found and purchased a Dell E6410 with a Core i5 2.67 processor and 4 RAM (It will become 8). There's a decommissioning of one in the works. Stay tuned. The fleet will be down to 3 runners. One is Vista where my cross stitch program resides, the gray Dell E6410 will remain Windows7 and the red Dell E6410 will be the home for Peppermint9.

·
Administrator
57,421 Posts
I have slept overnite now on the Dell Precision laptop.
2 things have stopped me from going after it.

1 - Have way too many older laptops here now, I need to sell some of them off, to provide capital toward future wants.

2 - that Precision model weighs almost 8 lbs, that is too much to have laying in my lap all the time, and to pick up with one hand and place on a side table away from my recliner.

99.9% of my computer work is done from my recliner, I rarely ever, sit at my office desk anymore, it is just not convenient for me anymore. I tend to fall asleep as I am surfing the 'net, and the office environment does not support that kind of thing.

·
Magic Moderator
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought it was an awesome laptop and most of the time they're on a table/counter. It is way above my paygrade and probably great for games (Pogo game site) but then my current E6410 has no problem with it. I thought to myself that I have better things to do with $300.00 + dollars and then I ventured over to fleabay and found a really nice Dell E6410 in Red and it was in my price range (Under $75.00). I notified Mystic Four that a laptop has come available as Dennis got the other one. I'll have 3 runners and the G4. I just offer my decommissioned laptops for shipping to give them a home and to allow someone to try Linux without disrupting their current system. If I want a 'Triple Decker' laptop the new E6410 can do the same, as the present idea has been tested and works. The Precision could run 3 hard drives all of them internal.
The slowest one in the fleet is the Toshiba that runs Vista with a 2.1 processor, then the E6410 with 2.53 and the new 2 me one with 2.67.

·
Administrator
57,421 Posts
This popped up on Google News today, I did a read on it, and downloaded the ISO to try it out in VirtualBox....

https://www.howtogeek.com/430556/why-i-switched-from-ubuntu-to-manjaro-linux/

the author IMO, did a good job of explaining the pluses and minuses of Manjaro

I think for me, it will be just a "putting my toes in the water effort."

Mint caters more to my expectation of a solid, stable OS that is easy to use.
provided of course, that your hardware will let it install :(

·
Magic Moderator
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe now you'll be able to get Linux Mint to work with the new storage media on the newer laptop. Being most of my laptops are 'Legacy' older stuff works. I needed to look for info on my newest E6410 and it is now listed as a 'Legacy' model.
I did enjoy the article, I have what works for me and pretty much it will be Peppermint with Linux Mint on a second drive.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts