Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Loyal member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After paying $230.00 for a new metzler for the rear of my 84 aspy and riding a few hundred miles 2-up I began hearing a sqeeking noise coming from the rear of the bike.We had just began a 900 hundred mile ride and could not turn and go home.This noise sounded like a dry wheel bearing so I removed the rear wheel and replaced the bearings,no good the sqeeky noise persisted.I ruled out the rear splines as they had been serviced on a regular basis and looked great as did the drive shaft and u-joint.We finished the trip sqeek and all and made it home safely.When time allowed I again removed the rear wheel,removed the final and drive shaft,cleaned them all up and looked carefully for any issue that would cause the sqeeky noise.Again I found nothing.Before installing the wheel I slid under the rear of the bike for a look,low and behold the tire had been rubbing on the inner fender well in 3 different places on the right side.With the tire on the wheel and using a staight edge and a digital caliper I measured both sides of the tire and the right side was 3/16"wider on the right side!This tire was the same as the one I replaced.Needless to say the honda dealer I bought it from would not help me out with this issue even after they admitted it was a defective tire.If anyone knows of a car tire that would be applicable to a gl1200 please send me a PM.Thanks,moon.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Metzler has replaced them in the past, called catastrophic tire failure.
Tread separates, splits, and delaminates, chucks fly off.
I have had 3 do this and a friend has had 2 do this.
I will not recommend metzler ever!

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

holy cow i only spent 70ish on my firestone its a tire not a ring of gold

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
imported post

The 880 is well known for delaminating and other issues. I just never trusted they would fix the problem, and it looks like they haven't.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
imported post

Back to the original question: anyone know of a car tire that fits a GL1200?

After reading every post here about car tires, I believe it's a general consesus that there is no car tire that will fit a GL1200 rim.

I was thinking of going Dark also, but couldn't find anyone who had a successful fit of a car tire on a 1200 rim.

Sorry

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

I too had a 1200 and as far as I know there isn't a car tire for it. I did have good wear on my Michelin Commanders though. My wife and I rode 2 up all the time and together we are about 420lbs. Good luck.

·
Loyal member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hi,Greywing,could you tell me what miliage you received from your michelins?Thanks,moon.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

Actually, there are a couple guys with car tires on their 1200's. Check the tech forum and search.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts

·
Loyal member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

One of those will soon be on order!This site is great,thanks again,moon.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

The shocking part is I found it.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

84GrayWing wrote:
I too had a 1200 and as far as I know there isn't a car tire for it. I did have good wear on my Michelin Commanders though. My wife and I rode 2 up all the time and together we are about 420lbs. Good luck.
Although I opted:waving: for E-3's and am happy with them A friend of mine has had Michelin Commanders for quite sometime is and has been very happy with the performance all the way around.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

moonhead wrote:
Hi,Greywing,could you tell me what miliage you received from your michelins?Thanks,moon.
Not two up but my buddy was getting around 15 on the back and about 18 on front.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I run E3s on my 1200s, and very happy with them.

Never a problem.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
imported post

True that the old Dunlop E-2's sung like a performer during an opera. While cornering. You will find this to be not the case with the Dunlop E-3's... As far as Metzler 880's go.. You need to do your own research. Before you put your money on the counter.. When it comes to Tires or oil. This kind of thread can , and most often does. opens a can of worms.. That seems to have no end.. Why not stick with what is recomended with your your bike. And came as standerd equipment when the bike was first purchased. Seems to me, that some "think" they know more than than the design engineers do.. and are constantly trying to improve on something. that needs no further improving. Hey!... It's your Money.

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

I'm still running Elite II's on my 1200 Aspy. I normally get 10k on the rear and around 20k on the front. One caveat with mine is that it is a sidecar rig. I have no problem finding Elite II's for either the 1100 or the 1200.

As far as running a car tire on ANY bike......ask me in a PM and I'll give you ALL the true technical information you can handle and let you make your own decision. Your life, your ride and your hide.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

I stopped buying Metzler many moons ago, I had two tires get bubbles in the tread. I am surprised to see they still have quality control issues today.

I do not know of a CT that will fit a 1200...:?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.