Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Today we got a warm spell here in New York, it was in the upper 20's. I kept looking out the window at the bright sun and felt the warmth of the sunlight as it came through the windows. And everytime I went outside I had to turn around and come in again and read about either others lamenting the cold or talking about their rides. AND I JUST HAD IT!!!

Soon went the long johns, the heavy jeans, tee shirt, sweat shirt, vest, scarfand coat. Warmed up the bike while I put down another cup of hot coffee and steeled my nerves. As I stood in the driveway by the wing and felt the breeze blowing and seriously thought twice about what I was about to do, and did it anyway.

I did a trip to the hardware store, I'm a usual there so they had a cup of coffee there for me as we laughed at my venture into the cold world. From there I stopped off at the post office to inquire as to when I might be expecting a package. There I'm not a usual, so no coffee for me (just as well, my bladder was beginning to tingle).

Then off for a ride, there is a stretch of road, maybe 8 miles or so that is referred to as the oatka trail. The road is winds down folloing along side a lorge wide creek (aptly named oatka creek), there is the water on one side and fields of horses on the other. There is never much traffic on it and it's always good for a relaxing ride and it's one I never tire of. After that I circled around to the school my boys attend and waited out of sight until I saw the bus (number 85), that my boys would be on and pulled out behind it to follow it home. I already knew the route it would take, all country roads to my house, and waited until I was noticed. It wasn't long until one of the riders looked back and must have commented that there was a motorcycle following them, and then new faces appeared, finally Jared, my youngest lookedo ut the back window and smiled. He started bouncing and I could see her was yelling, telling everyone it was his daddy. Suddenly, the air was warm,and I was happy. Soon new faces began popping up again, looking at me and at him, he was the center of attention, all the others envious of him. I could see the happiness, pride and joy on his face with the event. This was onethose moments that make being a parent so worthwhile. Well I beeped the airhorn a couple times and followed them home, pulled in the driveway and made a beeline for the garage. It was time to park it.

It was ashort ride, but it was a ride. It had the blood pumping and me smiling and curbed the edge of my nerves. Jared didn't want a ride, he had enough sense to realize how cold it was, but he did try on his new helmet and told me howwhen itgets warmer he's looking forward to going on a ride. Even now My son Michael is leaning on my shoulder reading what I type and waiting for the days of summer to come.

Of course, then I'm going to have put up with the arguements of who goes first and who got the longer ride.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

Richard that is a great story I felt like I was right there with you. Of course that would be my grand kids looking out the bus window since my only daughter is 36 years old. But I do have those memories, thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

Sometimes a ride is just what the doctor ordered. Glad you had a good one.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
imported post

my old 1100 goldwing just refuses to run when it is that cold, no way, it just will not do it.... *smile*

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

some times a small ride makes you even more anxious of the upcomming season. i had 2 rides boith of which where at highway speeds in 19 degree farenheit. i still want to go back out but mechanical problems are looming.
waiting for parts.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

Rode the purple beast to work today. First time in a couple of months.Mainly not enough time and been raining , and major component replacement. Now it is time to ride daily.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

In the 50's today but bike is on the bike jack waiting on my slow butt to finish my preseason fixes. I'd been finished by now but every time I went to teasr it down it got above freezing and I had to ride :)

Ride Safe, Ray

:action:

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Awesome story Richard! I am so proud for you!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Nice story Richard and let's hope this is the start of many of you coming out of hibernation. :clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
imported post

RayandTracy wrote:
In the 50's today but bike is on the bike jack waiting on my slow butt to finish my preseason fixes. I'd been finished by now but every time I went to teasr it down it got above freezing and I had to ride :)

Ride Safe, Ray

:action:
I'm in the same boat - weather supposed to get in the 50's, but my body panels are at the paint shop and this is what is staring at me -

Bummer. But, I'm happy for those of you that can get out there. Your stories are inspiration to get this beast moving!

Larry

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

It was in the 50's in Central Arkansas this morning and I rode my bike to work for the first time in months. Man was it a great ride in. It's supposed to be in the 70's today, so my lunch break might just be along one.

DeDub :18white:

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

We have a phsycologist who's a member of our GWRRA chapter, and he'll quickly tell you a ride on the bike is better therapy than a visit to the doctor. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you might have to get a couple of new bikes before long (how old is your son) It could be a family ride. I love them, only thing I have to ride 500 miles to my closest kid to ride with.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

The boys are only 9 and 10 years old. It's going to be a few years before they can get their own bike on the road.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

Great story Richard, worth it to get ready and face the cold. Over here we play a game, the council put lots of corrosive road salt down, i then wait for a rainy day followed by a nice day and then try and get out on the bike, not always possible but when you do it blows the cobwebs away, great stuff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.