Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

HI GUYS WELL I HAVE DONE IT AT LAST AND IT WAS"NT AS HARD AS I THOUGHT ON THURSDAY I WENT AND PICKED MY WING UP FROM THE LOCAL MOTOR BIKE SHOP AS HE SAID HE WAS GOING TO PUT SOME NEW BELTS ON FOR ME,AS I HAD A VERY BAD BACK,A OLD PROBLEM HAD FOUR DISC OUT,AND HE WAS MESSING ME ABOUT,SOME THING WICKERED.AND HE WAS GOING TO PUT A NEW TYRE ON AND A NEW AIR FILTER /OIL /PETROL /CHANGE THE OIL.OF WHICH I HAD ALL THE BITS.GOT SO FED UP.DONE IT MYSELF,IT TOOK ME 20 MINS TO GET THE FAIRING OFF AND ABOUT 40 TO GET THE OLD BELT"s OFF AND PUT THE NEW ONE S ON,NOT BAD FOR A LEARNER HAD TO GET THE SENSER.S OFF AS THEY WONT LET THE BELTS PAST THEM,AFTER CHECKING AND CHECKING ABOUT 10 TIMES AND TURNING THE BACK WHEEL ROUND,TO MAKE SURE IT WAS OK,AND THEN FLICKING THE STARTER WITH THE IGNITION OFF.I STARTED IT SOUNDS VERY GOOD TO ME,I DID NOTICE THE LEFT BANK BELT WAS LOSE.WITH THE NEW ONE S ON ITS LIKE 10 MM PLAY ON BOTH.IVE NOW GOT TO PUT IT ALL BACK AND DO THE AIR FILTER AND NEW TYRE.NEW PLUGS JUST THOUGHT ID LET YOU ALL KNOW AS YOU.V ALL GIVE ME A LOT OF CONFIDENCE AND HELP THANKS TO ALL WHO REPLIED SIXFORE123

Attachments

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

Well done that man!!:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

I know nothing about timing belts but I have recently donemy firstservice on my wing and it's a great sense of satisfaction and relief when it all works out. I got a lot of help by searching this vast forum.

Chuffed it worked out for ya !! Crackin looking bike by the way :action:.

Eric

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I was a bit suprised when you said you were clicking your starter. The correct and sure fire way to make sure you have no interferance is by turning the motor by hand clockwise by the rear bolt.

I am glad you got it done anyway, I would just chech 2wice. That is a bad repair if the valves get bent.
Congrats and just wait till next time youll flt right through, I did on mine 3rd time I chaged the belts, Not that I own my wing for that long but I have owned 3 and have always changed the belts before putting some serious milage.

Agaiun Congrats

I see you have the spin on filter and the bike is the fastest color. Black

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
I was a bit suprised when you said you were clicking your starter. The correct and sure fire way to make sure you have no interferance is by turning the motor by hand clockwise by the rear bolt.

I am glad you got it done anyway, I would just chech 2wice. That is a bad repair if the valves get bent.
Congrats and just wait till next time youll flt right through, I did on mine 3rd time I chaged the belts, Not that I own my wing for that long but I have owned 3 and have always changed the belts before putting some serious milage.

Agaiun Congrats

I see you have the spin on filter and the bike is the fastest color. Black

I took it to mean he spun the engine by the back wheel first with it in gear. BTW black is the slimmest color. ;)

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

HI MUAYMENDEZ1 I DID TURN THE BACK WHEEL ROUND AND ROUND AND ROUND,TILL I WAS OK AND NOTHING WAS GOING TO BREAK ANYTHING I ALLSO CHECKED THE TIMING 10 TIMES TILL I WENT DIZZY,JUST TO MAKE SURE.TODAY IVE DONE THE OIL GHANGE AND SPARKING PLUGS,HAD TO GRIND DOWN A BOX TUBE BOX SPANNER TO FITT,DOWN IN THE PLUG HOLE,AND RIGHT BANK AS LOOKING AT THE FRONT OF THE BIKE.IS DEEPER,DONE THAT AND ALLSO CHANGEDMTHE AIR FILTER BIT OF A JOB.LOOKED AT THE INFO ON HERE JUST GOT TO GET THE RADIO BOX TOP TO GO DOWN MORE,ONE SIDE IS STICKING UP 10 MM ,MUST GET IT RIGHT,NOW,WING SOUNDS VERY GOOD AND BETTER,THEN IT WAS,I MADE MY DAY YESTERDAY,I FELT A MILLION DOLLARS AS THEY SAY,TO THINK THAT IDIOT DOWN THE ROAD WAS GOING TO DO IT IN TWO WEEKS,AND IVE DONE IT IN ALL TOGETHER,TWO DAYS.IVE LEARNED THAT NOT TO TRUST ANYONE WITH THESE WINGS,THEY COULD EASILY MESS THEM UP,IT GOT TO THE STAGE WHERE I COULD"NT SLEEP NIGHT TIMES THINKING OF WHAT HE MIGHT BE DOING TO IT.OK WINGS GUYS IVE JUST GOT THE WHEEL TO TAKE OUT NOW AND PUT THE NEW TYRE ON AND IM READY FOR THAT ROAD.JUST REMEMBER IF YOU CARE TO RIDE THAN RIDE WITH CARE,SIXFORE123

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

I agree, I thought WineberryWAS the fastest color. Anyway yea you should spin the engine witha wrench by the rear bolt before starting.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

Great Job Sixfore123!!:clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

Good Job!!!! :clapper::clapper:

These bikes are not to bad to work on if you take your time, and pay attention to what your doing.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

With your radio box sticking up when you are putting it back together. try removing the pocket on the side that is sticking up you will find it is that. the radio panel is sitting on top of the pocket instead of underneath.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

ok pauljay i had a idea there was some thing but it was getting dark in there later today and we dont have electric in these garage s nice and dry though ,ill have another look in morning and take my torch to look underneath,i get great satisfaction know i done that,if yoy know what i mean,i dont have a pocket as my cb is there and phone the other side,i did take them all off so it would go down but ill check in the morning,all i want to get now is the intercon so i can talk to my grandaughter,the one in my photo s she go severywhere with me on the wing now lookinh for a new leather s for her she only 10 and love all thr time riding down the coast,ok night to all and should be good riding wheather tis week end travel with care sixfore123

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Ok from the pages of HONDA SPEED RATING FOR GOLDWINGS

black has a pigment that though heavier in liquid weighs less when dry than other colors. Also the sunlight is absorbed by black and in result does not have the oposing force of reflection . 3rd wind molecules act to black paint as it would to darkness void and therefore does not cause resistance as it would on other color bikes.

Black was also a holy color , hypoalergenic, and will raise the Iq of your next boorn female child on a leap year

This BS brought to you by a tired drunk
]jose

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

There is nothing more satisfying than fixing it yourself, and saving a few $ while you are at it! This site is your most valuable tool avalible. there is someone out there that has done it before and being able to pass on that wisdom is very rewarding as well. I saved $100 on timing belts alone as I would have paid the price at the dealer if it was not for the info on this site (I paid $21.65 CAD each) at the local auto parts store for Goodyear brand.
Shimmy

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I know what yoy mean at my honda shop they wanted £65 each and i went on ebay uk and the same belts were on there with the same number,on them from gates,£49 for two.had some of these, so saved money to.but some times like chrome grips in florida i got a pair for $29 over here £68 the ship was only $4 so you have to look about.got nearly all of the bike back today.just lower cowl to go on.took my time as got all day,its nice when you are retired you can please yourself.only thing is that it take you 50 years to get there,some dont, so make the most of what time you have left ,and enjoy yourself,like ridng these wings safe riding to all sixfore123

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
Ok from the pages of HONDA SPEED RATING FOR GOLDWINGS

black has a pigment that though heavier in liquid weighs less when dry than other colors. Also the sunlight is absorbed by black and in result does not have the oposing force of reflection . 3rd wind molecules act to black paint as it would to darkness void and therefore does not cause resistance as it would on other color bikes.

Black was also a holy color , hypoalergenic, and will raise the Iq of your next boorn female child on a leap year

This BS brought to you by a tired drunk
]jose
Wow....Dude, that made sense to me. Good job on your repair Six.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

SIXFORE123 Do you go to the Wingdin at Banham Zoo I believe that it is fantastic. this year it is 15th - 17th August.

Pauljay.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

hi pauljay only had this wing 6 months so i dont know much of whats going on where,but if you have some info for me and i will try and sort some thing out,i could not reply before as in my village we had a power cut for two days and were living on a camping stove and tilley lamp,good though)ok mate send me some info if you want my email ill send ok thanks sixfore123 geoff

Attachments

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
imported post

Try getting your Gates belts from a motor factor. Just quote them the required number and I got my pair for £20 all together. Just got to fit the damn things now.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

Congrats on the belts! I have slowly been getting my '81 on the road and that is one of the last things I need to do. I agree with the other guys this web site is worth my weight in gold (Im not a small guy) There is no way I could afford to take mine to the dealer for repairs especialy the little stuff.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

hi PLPEN i did"nt think i could have done mine but i started by taking the panels off and then worked round to the sides and front lower cowl,the thing i found is them tube s and wires coming down the front do get in the way,did take one off at the front,but the others i worked round,undone the bolts with a power wrench my mate lent me and there you are, just wind the back wheel round till all the side and middle marks are on there possition s keep checking all the time then i put a broom handle stuck it between the brake and peg to keep the brake on so nothing could move and undo the tension s and take off the censors let them hang down and take off the belt one at a time put the new one s on and check the marks again and again put censors back on and tensions check belt tens tighten up all bolts and check belts and marks then slowly turn back wheel round and see it goes freely round and round as take a lot of turning for a full rotation of the engine,then when you are sure its ok ,check again,then i turned off the switch on the right side handle bar,ignition)and flick it and if ok start up,after that its putting it all back again and away you go,i think the dust seal was a bit of a !!!! to keep in but it will go back ok mate best of luck,hope it goes ok sixfore123 geoff oh the cover come s off in two bits also

:action::action::action::action::action::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cooldj::cooldj:

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

hi GOGS 11 UK THANKS FOR THE INFO ON THE BELTS IL REMEMBER THAT AND GIVE THEM A LOOK.ANY MONEY YOU CAN SAVE IS A MUST BITS COST ENOUGH AS IT IS IM PLEASED IVE DONE IT TAKE S A WORRY OF OF YOUR MIND EVERY TIME YOU WIND IT OPEN,THINKING ARE THEY GOING TO BRAKE.I KNOW NOW SO FEEL A LOT BETTER NOW JUST GOT THE FRONT TYRE TO DO NOW (GOT ONE) AND MY MAIN DEALER SAID HE D FITT IT FOR £30 SO ILL LET HIM DO IT,I CANT DO THE TYRE AS ITS GOT TO BE BALANCED SO IM ON A GOOD THING THERE,THATS IN LOWESTOFT ON THE COAST DOWN FROM YARMOUTH,I LIVE 7 MILES FROM THERE.GET A LOT OF WINGERS DOWN THERE ON WEEK ENDS OK MATES TAKE YOU ALL CARE ON THEM STEED S SIXFORE123

:clapper::clapper::clapper::dude::dude::dude::action::cheeky1:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.