Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Today I went for a little ride every thing going good . Decided to hit the interstate even tho I hate the int.Ok after about 15 miles I looked at the temp gauge it was almost up to where the fan comes on. I ran on another 10 miles bike was running ok,came off on to a two lane road an it started cooling down.Now I mean to tell you it was hot out there. First time I've rode the wing in this heat on the interstate so I don't know if this normal or i've got a problem. I did a forum search, no answers that I could find . THANKS FOR ANY HELP AT ALL.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
imported post

How do the plugs look? It might be running a little lean. My 80 ran a little over half way and my 83 does the same on a day in the upper 80's.

·
Premium Member
12,802 Posts
imported post

Did the fan ever come on ? Are you sure it will come on ? .Do you have the fairing lowers installed or the wind scoops if its a standard? It needs these to get the air into the radiator.When your blowing down the highway and forcing 90*+ air its hard to cool . If the temp came down after you got of the Interstate , it was probly just working hard .

I added a toggle switch to my 1100 so I can turn on the fan . I find if I turn on the fan before the temp gets real high it seems to stay a little cooler .

Just check and make sure your fan does work and your full of coolant . Do you know if the water pump has ever been changed ? I had seen one where the impeller ( steel ) had rusted quite badly and just couldnt pump well . Perhaps check the radiator from the front and be sure its not loaded with bugs and debris .

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

That's about where my temp hand stayed it was close to 100degrees so I guess yours runs there its ok. I just wanted to know how other wings done Thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

We rode a PGR mission today, my fan came on several times and the bike seem to run a little on the warm side. Even on the way home we were running 65 to 70 and the temp gauge read a little high.....but it was VERY humid, so could be a factor also:?

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for all the replies it's an 80 interstate.The fan cycles like it should I check my rad reservoir pretty often its right where it should be. I guess I just need to get to know this wing better.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

It has been very hot here around St Louis lately. I ride an 81 1100 also. The temp has been running a little higher and will on the interstate as the engine is working much harder running 70 than running 45-60 on two lanes.

I also have my fan connected to a switch as this is a common problem with the 1100s. The Thermo Switches are notorious for failing.

If it never get much over half way you should be fine.

:action:

·
Administrator
26,935 Posts
imported post

Don't worry about it, my 83 did the same thing under those conditions and it was fine. As long as the gauge doesn't reach the red it's OK.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Yep, it seems to be normal. I've noticed mine running just a bit hotter now the summer is here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.