Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Administrator
27,541 Posts
Look for a starter from a Honda that has the engine facing left, all the older 4 cylinders turn the same direction as the 6 cyl wing.

·
Registered
1965 Hillman Imp
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Yeah I'm hopeful that the counter clockwise rotating honda engines use a starter that also rotates backwards. However I imagine they just use a standard direction starter but mount it from the other side.

If so and honda starters aren't an option to get me out of this pickle then I've got a solution that should work.

·
Registered
1965 Hillman Imp
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
So in a mild state of panic I leaped out of bed and while Hannah cooked our porridge for breakfast I coupled the block to the gearbox. Luckily there is plenty of room to mount the starter from the engine side. In fact - it may well be a better place because the stock position on the subaru bell housing has the rather large, reduction geared starter sit quite high and close to the underside of the Imps parcel shelf.

I'll take some photos soon and pop them up.

@DaveO430 - I'm just very thankful that you had thought about my project enough to spot my error! The power of a good forum and how we can help each other! 🙂

·
Registered
1965 Hillman Imp
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
....and yes! It does indeed look like Honda 4 pot starters must rotate backwards because a 1992 honda accord has the starter slung over the gearbox...

At a glance that image above looks like it shows a starter very similar to the Subaru item I have.
The pinion tooth pitch will be the next issue - there is every chance that Honda use larger or smaller teeth on the ring gear.
I will pop to a car wreckers yard and compare a few starter motors against my Subaru one and see how they might match.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts