Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have done many repairs lately on the 83 I just sold and now the 87 Interstate. I have purchased many parts from J C Whitney. I am going to do a major service on my 87, and wonderd if JCW was the best place to get plugs, oil filters etc. Does anyone have a better supplier. Has there ever been any quality issues with parts from JCW? I will be doing brakes soon on the 87 I have used brake pads from JCW on my 83 without any problems.

Doooh!

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Never herd of complaints about them JC are reputable guys to deal with.
Finding someone cheaper might not be the best way to go if they mess
you about in other ways.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

My only bitch with JCW is the shipping costs. I live about 100 miles away from their distribution center and it cost's me $8-10 brown ground for a $15 part to ship.

So I basically double the cost of my part whenI purchase from them.

They are very good with customer service so.......

Hobie

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Have been dealing with them for 40 years, back when they were called "Warshawski's", (spelling ?)nothing but good luck and great customer service !

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
Have been dealing with them for 40 years, back when they were called "Warshawski's", (spelling ?)nothing but good luck and great customer service !
Actually they ran both names for many years. I used to get catalogs from both of them by the ton. Never could see how they could make any money when they buried you with catalogs. The only difference in the catalogs was the name and one digit difference in their street address. They do peddle a lot of cheap junk so you have to be a bit careful.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
imported post

I've bought from them off and on. I usually just get the filters and such from them. I bought the wind wings from them and they aren't the best quality but still very usable. I've heard the replacement mirrors from them aren't worth much. But other than that, they are regular receivers of my hard earned cash. I have to agree with exavid. It's hard to figure out how they make a profit with all the catalogs they send you.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Before they had their bankruptcy and reorganization they REALLY sent out catalogs, I was getting as many as ten per month, I haven't gotten one for several months now. They were a good source for parts when I lived in North West Alaska. They used to sell just about all the parts you could think of, even used engines and trannies, nowadays they are just a shadow of their former selves.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

I used to go into the store to purchase things. They were on State St. ( I believe) near Chinatown / Archer Ave in Chicago. If I remember correctly, their MAIL outfit was called "JC Whittney", while the actual store was called Warshawski's, same building too. Rather large, Some of their stuff is cheap, and obviously so, others are top notch, about what you would expect from other merchants. I'm just sad the actual Store closed. It was much cheaper to ride down the street and just pickthe partup.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Brought back memories N9FRP, I use to go there alot!

Use to ride my bike with "Drag Pipes" down there and on the way back I'd get under the big post office (in the tunnel) and drop a gear and rap those bad boys out !

Buy the way, any one ever said you look like "Cheech" ?

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
Brought back memories N9FRP, I use to go there alot!

Use to ride my bike with "Drag Pipes" down there and on the way back I'd get under the big post office (in the tunnel) and drop a gear and rap those bad boys out !

Buy the way, any one ever said you look like "Cheech" ?
Cheech Marin huh..........lol. Didn't you say that once B-4 ? :waving:

I believe you're referring to the tunnel that goes from the lakefrontto the west on I-290, aka " The Eisenhower " , orthe other onewe affectionately call "Hubbarts Cave " , going out to O'Hare on I-190.

Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end, we'd sing and dance, forever and a day..........I'm sure you can finish the song.

:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Been buying from JC Whitney for over 40 years and never had a problem.. Once you buy from them, they send you a catalog forever. I get Bike, Truck & auto catalogs all the time..

Only gripe I have is their shipping rates.. They seem a little steep and are based on the amount you spend, not the weight of the item.. (Unless it's by frieght)..

The quality of their parts is all aftermarket based and they stand behind them up to the warranty of what's in print. Not a bad company to do business with.. They've got the best Goldwing parts prices around.. :D

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

You guys talking about what JC Whitney was called way back when gave me a real nice "flashback". I'm 50 + now and can remember the Warshawski's catalog.

I have had nothing but honest service from them. Yes, you have to be aware of the lesser quality stuff, but I don't think JC mis-represents the product. Like I said, my only real gripe is the shipping costs.

They have never done me wrong otherwise.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

N9FRP how did you get the site to cycle through your pictures?

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Yep.. I'm old.. I was in Viet Nam in the early years.. (66-67).. That was a very long time ago... "long time"... :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Welcome Home Brother !

"Forward Observer" "A-Shau Valley", 101st Airborne !

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Welcome Home from another Old Fart.

335th Assuault Helicopter Company (Cowboys) 67-68 Bien Hoa, Dak To,Ahn Khe, Kontom, Pleiku.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

WELCOME HOME WINGDAWG101!!

I was Air Force Forward Air Control for 21 TASS, LZ English Bon Son valley. Lived in a tent, ate C-rations, flew a lot andslept on a cot in a sleeping bag for a year. Great fun...:D

Will be biking it to the Wall this October.. Never seen it...:(

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Hey "Renegade" you'll enjoy that "Ride" to "the Wall" and will never forget it !

You can do me a favor?

Leave something at the Wall for me to "Honor" my3"BEST" friends who's names are on there!

Go to a web site ( lzsally.com ) click on "Poetry" and print out my poem that's called "The Call of The Wall", it has those3 guys names in it!

( Kerry Vance, George Underdown and Thomas Hess ) Leave it under one of their names! You can find my other poems there by seaching my name, which is at the bottom of the poem!

You my know this but you can find their place on the "Wall" by going the "The Viet Nam Wall's" website and pulling it up!

Take some pictures of your ride there and share them with us !! Ride safe ! Bookoo traffic down there !

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

I missed my firewatch ribbon by less than a year....:(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.