Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is their a big performance difference between the J&M Elite584 headsets and the Performance 279 headsets? The both have the same mic system, but are the speakers that much better?

Is there something that you all think is better?

I'll be mounting this system in my GMAX GM44 flip helmet.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

Have tried both, and both are fine. Now... it could just be "my" ears.... but I hear no real huge differance. The last two sets I purchased were the 279 and I am completly satisfied.
There may be higher sound quality headsets out there. But at highway speed's, unless you have custom ear bud's... I think that the road and wind noise will negate most high end sound systems.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Corventure, I think that is the common opinion, buy wanted to get updates before I by this weekend. I have waited to long already.:(

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,666 Posts
imported post

My opinion also. Wind noise pretty well cancels out any notion of enjoying a very high priced sound system at highway speeds.

I just go for Communications Quality, the rest can wait until I am home.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I have both the 584 and 277 headsets. I cannot tell one bit of difference in them. It is very rare that I listen to anything but the CB or the Navi though, I turn the radio on once in awhile just to see if it still works.

Kit

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks everyone, I'm going to save a few bucks and get the 279's.

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

I haven't used the newer 584 elite headsets but we have both 477 elite and 277 headsets. I haven't noticed any difference in performance.

I do prefer the D shaped connector on the elite cords, but I don't think they're worth the extra cost.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

I just ordered the 584's for both the wife and I. The price difference was only $50 per headset on wingstuff so I figured that I am going to have these a long time might as well get the top line ones for the difference. Going to put them in the Nolan N42 helment.

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

In addition the cost of the headset, both J & M models require an additional lower cord to interface with the bike. The lower cords for the 584's are about $25 more than the cords for the 279 's.

We have had our J & M Elite series headsets for 4 years, never had a problem with the lower cords but I have needed to replace some upper cords and a mic. I carry an extra upper cord with me on trips.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
I have both the 584 and 277 headsets. I cannot tell one bit of difference in them. It is very rare that I listen to anything but the Navi though them
Kit
So, niether the 584's or the 277's work then Kit!!!!!:shock::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

I have had both as well and my vote is forthe 279's. The speakers dont need to be ported when you install them, andthey sound as good as the 584's. As mentioned earlier the lower cord is cheaper for the 279's.

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Kit Carson wrote:
I have both the 584 and 277 headsets. I cannot tell one bit of difference in them. It is very rare that I listen to anything but the Navi though them
Kit
So, niether the 584's or the 277's work then Kit!!!!!:shock::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
Yes they do Pete! I'm sure Kit heard "Turn right into guy's front yard and make an illegal U turn" :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Flyone wrote:
Silverfox wrote:
Kit Carson wrote:
Kit
Yes they do Pete! I'm sure Kit heard "Turn right into guy's front yard and make an illegal U turn" :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
U-turns are not illegal in South Carolina, I practice them quite often. :clapper::clapper:

Up above, you guys getting new headsets, if you do get the 584 and it has the new D type plug in for the lower cord, you do not have to buy the 50 dollar lower cord, you can just take a top cord off one of the other J and M and plug that into the new headsets, as the top plug in is the same.

Kit

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.