Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have ordered a CB and Antenna (J&M CB-GL15) from Sierra and it should be here Weds or Thurs of this week. It will be going on a 97 ASP Trike. If anyone has installed one like this, are there any points you can throw my way? Anything to make the install easier? I don't want to wait until it arrives then start planning the install.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

You will have to remove your seat, left side panel,left engine cover, left rear pocket, your shelter, left fairing pocket, your left inner fairing panel and the left handlebar covering to start with.

Not that bad a job, just a bit time consuming. Probably the toughest part is trying to cover up all the extra wires running down along the handlebar, with the handlebar cover.

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
imported post

Just did my 1500 two weeks ago with same stuff; getting all the stuff off is a pain.
1. If using the pax PTT you will need to run the audio cord from the cb to the rear seat audio plug. If not, leave it in the fairing space. If not using the rear PTT, do not connect it to the rear audion plug.
2. When installing the module box inside the fairing, attach it as close to the rear of the space as possible, if not you will not have enough audio cord to get the rear seat, only applies if using the rear seat PTT option.
3. For the antenna use a step drill to drill out the chrome trim, (after you take it off the bike)
4. Some of the antenna parts don't fit, don't need them anyway.
5. I discarded the coax patch cord and made my own from better coax, and with regular PL 259 connectors, also put a PL259 connector on the antenna lead as well.
6. I didn't feel good about putting the antenna connector under the seat, so I drilled two holes in the rear of the trunk and made my antenna connection inside the trunk.
7. I checked my swr before I put everything back together. Mine was good to go with out any adjustments.
8. The mounting of the control head is easier than it seems, you will have to remove the JM audio switch from the bracket so that you can install the screw that holds the radio selector then reinstall the JM switch. And getting all the wires back into the handle bar cover is the most challenging but you can get it.

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
imported post

Also a good time to check all those air filters

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

mechtech1 wrote:
5. I discarded the coax patch cord and made my own from better coax, and with regular PL 259 connectors, also put a PL259 connector on the antenna lead as well.

Can you tell me more about this. I keep reading about the connectors but I don't quite understand that part? I would like to do it right the first time if I can so I won't have to go back into it.

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
imported post

I am a Ham Radio Operator and always have spare stuff laying around; but you would need about 4 feet of RG 8x or similar coax,3 ea. PL 259 connectors, 1 ea. PL 259 barrel connector. All of the above is available at most Radio shack stores or a local CB or Two Way radio shop. Installing the connectors requires use of a Soldering Iron and ability to follow instructions from someone that has done this before. Or you can find a local Ham Radio Guy and ask him to make the connections for you. Would be useful to get the Ham guy to bring a SWR meter to check your installation. Need to make sure that the SWR is good and that none of the connections is shorted out. The radio only puts out about 2 watts at idle, and 3 when the bike is ramped up to 3000 rpm.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

My CB came in late last night and I have everything laid out on the floor and I see I have an “extra” peace of coax for the antenna with the kit. I think it will fit without using the extra cable or do I need that extra coax cable in there to help the antenna pick up and receive signals? I will start installing it later this morning.

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
imported post

Well did you get it all sorted out? The extra coax piece is normaly needed; and is the one that I replaced with a better piece of coax. It could be that there is a piece of coax already there from a previous radio installation.

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

FWIW, I have a JMCB-2003-DU and was originally using a 3 foot coax cord. I ended up switching to a 6 foot cord that I got from Radio Shack along with an adapter to allow me to connect to the GL1500 CB antenna. The main reason I switched was that the 3 foot one was just the absolute shortest that the coax could be but the 6 foot gave me plenty of wiggle room. Along with that, it seemed like it helped lower the SWR. When checking the SWR's not only is the antenna and antenna length important, but the coax and it's length is also a factor is getting an antenna properly tuned.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Sorry I didn't post it but the install went easy....I think. The weather channel plays clear as a bell and I can here a little talking going on but I don't live near a major road so I feel that is why I am not picking up much. The only problem is not having a SWR meter. I hate to go buy one for this one time deal. Most of the guys I know that may have one were out of town on a ride this weekend so I will be hitting them up tomorrow to see if one of them have one. If not, then I will go buy a meter. I have two set screws and the bottom one was all the way in but the top one was not so I slid the upper part of the antenna down as far as it would go and tighted up the upper screw. I wish I new if it was tuned in that place or not.

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't buy a meter, you should still be able to get to the antenna connection after you get it all back together. I would just wait until you find someone with a meter.
Enjoy the ride

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

It's all hooked up and fine I didn't want to damage the unit by using it.

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
imported post

I backed out the bottom screw and slid the rod down to the bottom and tightened both screws to keep the antenna from being lost. You should be good to go for now, the CB will operate just fine with what you have now, and there is a good chance that when you put a SWR meter on it, you will be very close to where you need to be without any adjustment needed. Go ahead and use it. My only issues so far are that I had to remove my drink holder to mount it, and having to move my hand farther up the handlebar to change the fm radio channels. Glad that I have it on the bike.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Yep I missed my cup holder today while I was out on the trike. I guess it will be moved to the right hand side.
I also backed the bottom out and let the rod go all the way in put both set screws to hold it in place.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

I will still keep looking for someone with a SWR meter and make sure it is tuned. What is the range that you can pickup\talk with someone elses?

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

There is more than being able to hear others on why you want a lower SWR reading. If the SWR is to high, you will burn out your transmitter if your SWR's are too high. Idealy, you want it as close to 1.00:1 on all channels but that is very hard to do. If you can get all the channels under 2.0:1 or les you are doing ok. 3.0:1 or higher used for a length of time will cause you grief. You can get away with it for a little while but make sure to track down a meter and check your readings....

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Thanks pwhoever, I had found that and made a copy of it but it never hurts to have it again. I have found someone with a meter and will be going over there Wed. (before heading to FL) to tune it up.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I ordered a SWR meter off of eBay for something like $14, just as I was installing mine. I ended up cutting a good 3/4" - 1"off of my antenna and have the SWR down to just over 1.0-1 throughout most of the channels, measured right close to the blue box. I used the 6' long coax on mine as well, giving me lots of cable length to route it wherever I wanted.

I get about 1 1/2 - 2 miles range in wooded areas.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

I have been watching them on E-bay also but now that I have found someone with one I am good to go.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
imported post

Red-Bike, I was going to tell you to come up to Carrollton sometime and we would get it all set. You would enjoy the ride. Glad you found one close.

Steve

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.