Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am looking to install a J&M cb on my 96 1500. Anyone done this? How much problem?

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

Good Morning from Deadwood, SD (Vacation)

I installed the unit on my bike and did not have much problem. Two screws to separate the left handle bar controls (choke, etc.) Move things just enough to acess the phillips head screws inside the unit to remove the stereo switch controller as it will be relocated on the J&M unit, I had to remove the two allen screws to move the clutch master cylinder. You do not need to disconnect the master cylinder. Remove the left fairing pocket to install the J&M box. I did not drill any holes. Just mounted the box with two sided tape. There is not much room for it to move around any way. Finally, gain access to the bottom of the stereo to plug in the CB. Taking my sweet time, I think I did the job in 1 1/2 hours. The unit integrates well into the bikes current instercom, etc. and has NOAA to boot. When you are finished, make sure the volume control does not interfere with the windshield when the steering is turned full lock. I ad to notch my windshield just a little. I like it a lot and beleive it is much cheaper than finding all the stuff to do a stock CB. J&M was also avaialable to talk with about the installion. I say go for it.

Hugh

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Hugh. :waving:

I recently bought one as well(thanks Goldwings 4 ever) and have to get a CB antenna for it. What kind of antenna did you get and was there enough coax cable supplied with it to run to the 'box' and it's connection? Also how much work was it to install the new CB antenna and where did you attach the grounding strap to? I'm looking at buying this antenna.

Have a safe trip.

Thanks, Ken

·
Vendor
680 Posts
imported post

Ken,
Antenna you refer to is an aftermarket antenna for the GL1800 and will not work on the GL1500. There are 2 different OEM Antennas for the GL1500, 95 and older brushed aluminum base and 96 and newer with chrome base. The OEM Hondaline antenna for the 92 is $80 and the one for the 96 is $100.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

Ken, the one I got from Sierra had enough cable. Actually it had too much cable and I had to find a place to put it without coiling it since I heard that was not a good thing for CB antennae's. You will need enough cable to go under the seat and under the radio cover most of the way to the handlebar area.

As for installing the CB: It's not difficult but it is a bit of a PITA getting the cables set up under the handlebars so you don't pull and stress them when you turn the bars. As for installing the antennae, there should already be marks in the plastic trim where the holes would normally have been cut. Just cut them out. I know it's tough drilling and cutting on the bike. You'll have to take off the left pocket in the front of the trunk, the seat, the radio cover and the left fairing pocket to install everything.

:action::waving:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.