Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I got a big box from Sierra Electronics on Saturday, containing the new headsets I had ordered from J&M. I started out on my Shoei helmet, a full-face, but was dismayed to discover that the J&M microphone was quite large, and would have to be wedgedin between the chin guard and my mouth. If I ever went off and hit face first, it would have knocked all my teeth out.

So I carefully cut into the foam on the chin guard, an exact microphone-sized circle with a slot for the wire to come out, deep enough to allow the microphone to end up almost flush. I was quite pleased with the result.

The earphones also jammed up against my ears uncomfortably, so I ended up excavating some foam around the ears as well, lowering them about 1/4", and they fit in quite well.

I discarded the small circle of velcro on the earpieces and replaced them with large pieces of velcro that I already had, to ensure they were not going anywhere. I removed the mic windscreen from the rubber grommet they supplied and glued it on the mic face. Some fun routing wires around, and it was done.

My wife's Arai, also a full-face, was much easier. I didn't need to make the mic hole anywhere near as deep. Her ear areas were much larger and could accomodate the ear pieces with no alteration. "Loop" velcro on the back of the earphones stuck very well to the fabric already inside the helmet.

All told, about two hours work, and they work great - well, at least standing next to the bike in the garage. Now we just need to get rid of the snow to give them a REAL test.

On to my next project, installing the satellite radio...
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top