Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 4-year old Craftsman yellow aluminum jack started leaking hydraulic fluid recently. I'm guessing it is leaking from the ram piston seal. Does anyone know if this is a DIY repair and where to get the part?

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

i'd suggest getting on the sears parts website and see if you can find the parts breakout,other than that a shop that repairs hydraulic jacks and related items could probably fix it,if it stills holds pressure and works i'd just keep it filled with fluid etc....wouldn't want to walk away and leave your wing hoisted in the air overnight though,probably a cheaper affair just to replace

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
imported post

Yep, the way I would fix it is I would call Sears, find out what local store has one in stock (or the newer version of it) Take my old one, and a picture of the leak, and walk out with a brand spanking new one.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

They might not cover it if its beyond the 90 day or 1 yr if there was a warranty on it. Jacks have a limited warranty time period. Ask me how I know, not this jack but a 12 ton bottle jack from them. Still says Crapsman on it but it's not a hand tool(hand power vs hydrolic).

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack!!! "stay out of jblack5's garage"!!! ;)

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

chilidawg wrote:
Cousin Jack!!! "stay out of jblack5's garage"!!!  ;)
Back in my drinking days (oh, lord!), I would've walked around with a guilty look on my face! But I've been sober for twenty two years now, and I know I ain't been in the man's garage!

Back in those drinking days, I somehow got hooked up with a busload of "baseball fans" for a Mariner's game in Seattle's old KingDome. We drank in a tavern for a couple of hours, got on the bus and drank for a couple of more, got to our seats and drank for an hour waiting for the game to start.... Another fool and I, quite understandably, had to get rid of some of that beer, so we wandered off drunkenly to look for a restroom. We found one, and were standing there blissfully at a circular urinal taking care of business, when a real baseball fan came in with his young son in tow.....

"My God," he exclaimed in horror. "You guys are peeing in the hand wash basin!"

And that's just one of the reasons I got sober....embarrasses me to this day.......!

:sadguy::sadguy::sadguy::sadguy:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

jblack5 wrote:
My 4-year old Craftsman yellow aluminum jack started leaking hydraulic fluid recently. I'm guessing it is leaking from the ram piston seal. Does anyone know if this is a DIY repair and where to get the part?
The hydraulic jacks used in these rigs are usually the cheapest that they can source. That means that it's probably crimped together and not rebuild-able.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
jblack5 wrote:
The hydraulic jacks used in these rigs are usually the cheapest that they can source. That means that it's probably crimped together and not rebuild-able.
True!
You might be able to buy just a replacement jack part though, not a whole new lift.

It's probably the same jack HF sells if you need to buy a new one, just won't have the Craftsman name on it and might be RED, and a whole lot cheaper.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

I had the "O" ring go in the pump on a similar lift, took the "O" ring to all the parts & hardware stores & no one had the same size, then I went to a hydraulics shop, they asked what the "O" ring was from, when I told them, their answer was " those hydraulic pumps are from China & no one in N America can get the proper parts, they are all "odd" sizes. I went back where I bought it, bought a small 1 ton jack & guess what, the "O" ring was the same size, funny thing was - the next day the new pump developed a "defective" "O" ring & had to returned as defective :?

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

those jacks are not complicated at all... if you are the least bit handy you can take it apart, and get new rings. Just be certain that the ball in the check valve goes back where it should...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.