Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am interested in some good leathers, or a jacket, of whatever. Most of my riding will be in the May through October timeframe, in the Pacific northwest.

Any Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

I don't think leather is a good idea up here in the Northwest because of the wet weather. I've had good luck with the Cortech Tourmaster stuff. Very durable for a good price.

If money isn't an issue then I'd go for the Aerostich Darien or Roadcrafter stuff.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks, Marco. I will look into it.

Most of my riding will be in the good months. Does your choice do well in warmer weather?

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Not too bad in warm weather...my Cortech stuff has vents that can be opened in the front andrear that work okay, but if you have a fairing they won't do as well. The jacket zipper also opens from the bottom.

I use one of those hot weather scarfs that has the gel stuff in it that swells with water. It does a pretty good job of keepingmy neck cool.

The Aerostich stuff is made from GoreTex. Itshould breath better than the Cortech. High-dollar, but you get what you pay for.

You could also go with some of those mesh-type summer jackets with the same type of armor as the Cortech and Aerostich, then for the rain carry rain gear. I find though, that riding in the Northwest is sometimes a bit too cool for them.

Another idea (that I have not tried) is an evaporative-cooling vest. They work like the scarf, but cover your whole torso. You can find them on ebay for about $40.

Light colors also help to keep things cool. I wouldn't do without my white helmet!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

try langlitz leathers in Portland. they do custom (but a long waiting list) and have off the rack as well. GREAT quality

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Damn, I feel underdressed for the party! Wearing my old brown leather jacket of 1987 vintage, Costco jeans ($12.99!), old brown harness boots and my scratched up helmet. After seeing all the HD guys around my area in their brand new black leather, gleaming beanie helmets, and bikes that never haverock chip or bug guts on them I probably should only ride at night where no one can see me! The only thing worse is the couples in their color coordinated matching riding suits. Sorry fellows and gals, I never could stand his and hers outfits. Somehow riding suits always remind me of leisure suits.

Trolling... trolling.... trolling...

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

for sure there are T to T riders (tavern to tavern) and then there are those of us who have riden harleys across country. The langlitz jacket I bought in 1979 I would still wear... I just cannot zip it up anymore

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It's a well known fact that leather shrinks with age!:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

Leatherup.com has some nice Bomber Jackets for around
$70 with zip out liners......very good price and they are
good jackets not the piece leather thingys....I got one
and love it.....check em out...
Al

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
imported post

Ubarw:

This is off topic, but was the movie "Stand By Me" mainly filmed around Cottage Grove?

Dean

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

Lanlitz Leathers have been keeping me safe, relatively warm, and 95% dry for almost 20 years. With my Gerbing coat liner it's absolutely toasty in the winter. Keep 'em greased up with Lanlitz Leather Dressing and the water runs off like a duck.

Karl :)

Portland, OR

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

I have the Aerostich and found it way too warm for anything above 75 degrees and I choose not to wear it..

An alternative which is also the very highest quality is from Motoport, their Kevlar Mesh 3/4 length jacket and pants. This is perhaps the most radically different protective gear you can buy. You owe it to yourself to go to their web site www.motoport.com and click on the button on the top right hand corner of the page titled "Saving Your Hide". It will change the way you think about and view, all protective clothing. And Motoport is very expensive, but ask yourself this:

What does a skin graft cost??

Pete

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey FRISKY :waving:Welcome to the best Goldwing forum on the planet. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

I took delivery of an Aerostich Roadcrafter one-piece suit (black with hi-viz lime panels) this morning & it's exceeded my expectations in every way. I needed an oversuit for commuting & longer leisure rides & this feels like the right one for me.

It's superbly well made with great materials & excellent attention to detail throughout. The online sizing guide did really seem to work & the suit is roomy enough to fit over my winter 'street' clothes (T-Shirt, jeans & heavy sweater) or business suit & seems like there'll be enough room to not feel too enclosed in the summer. Cuffs, ankles & back panel are all adjustable for different gloves / layers / boots, with zipped vents across the back between shoulder-blades & under the arms.

It's pretty cold here today & snowing on and off whilst still sunny. Nipping out for a quick blast down the A3 shows the suit to be draught-free & warm enough over my normal clothes to be comfortable on the bike.

My main criteria was that it'd be easy to get on & off at work, despite the armour in shoulders / elbows / hips / back / knees. The right leg unzips from the ankle up to the thigh so you can get a booted leg in very easily. You then pull the arms on and pull the full length zip all the way down from right collarbone to left ankle & pull the other zip down to left ankle. Works a treat & genuinely takes the 20-seconds described on the Aerostich website.

10 out of 10 for the suit so far, though I'm mindful of reports that it can leak in the middle under a sustained downpour & the pricing is clearly quite high - I also got clobbered for import duty, VAT and ParcelForce customs admin (though that was always a gamble...) Very well pleased so far.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

I don't know if I am as stylish as Exavid./forums/images/emoticons/tongue.gif.. but although I have a "nice" newer jacket, in leather.. I have to admit my favourite, and best fitting jacket is a 35+  year old dark brown leather                                                                                                                                             I picked  it up for a song ($15)in an antique clothing shop...... It's thick as body armour (they really made 'em well in those days ) lined, neck fastener, zippered arms !!, and close fitting to my torso......... It needed only about $25 of repair work  to one  pocket , and  to lower zip to make it perfect ... that and a good coat of waterproffing dubbin../forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/goofygrin.gif.                                                                                                                                                                                    ....A jacket this thick today would be over $800.. I wear  a down vest under it  on cold days... and I purchased a quality rainsuit about 11 years ago I also ride in the Northwest ..... I am a great believer in "the layered " look.. and in careful shopping  around ........There are a lot of quality jackets around in pawn shops, and antique clothing outlets  /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/grinner.gif                                  SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

litfuse wrote:
Recently, I purchased a leather jacket, leather vest and a pair of leather gauntlet gloves from this company. Everything is top notch for the money.

I bought the MJ400 Motorcycle Jacket w/ side laces for $60.00. Very heavy leather! It also has a zip out 3M Thinsulate liner.

I also bought the MV103 Vest w/ side laces for $25.00. A very well made vest!

The gloves cost me $15.00 and also are very well made and lined with 3M Thinsulate.

Jacket, Vest & Gloves for less that $100.00. Of course I had to pay shipping but still it is a very good deal for the budget minded. I have seen the exact same jacket elsewhere for $100.00 to $125.00.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

Just took a short ride this morning at 41 degrees and wore my old Joe Rocket coat.  I'd forgotten how warm it is with liner.  Still love my Langlitz Leathers but am considering getting some newer non-leather coat and pants.  Even as wet as it gets here in Portland, OR I rarely if ever have to throw on full rain gear as the leathers really do keep me dry.  Can anyone truthfully tell me that their "fancy" newer riding suits are truly waterproof?  I can tell you that my Joe Rocket coat is not!  Joe Rocket says it is but their definition of waterproof must be different than mine.  I'm hoping to hear from someone who's ridden all day in heavy rain and not gotten wet.Thanks,Karl

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

I always wear leather, even here in the great northwest. I have several leather jackets, one OLD open road (can't zip it anymore because it is old.. we know how leather shrinks with age too exavid!) one that I got from the handyman club of america, and one seahawks letterman style. Then there is my leather vest (have to wear it because it is where I carry my wallet). Then there are my chaps. Leather shoes with one or two pairs of sox depending on temperature. However when it rains, I dig out the frogtogs and the shoe covers ... and keep going.

Marty :12ltd:

Also.... I ride year round unless the ice is too bad.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.