Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just purchased a motorcycle jack for my GL1200 form Sears. Well I am sure most of you know my question already. How do I lift this thing up. Do I need to weld up a bracket to mount on the lift to protect my bike? If so has anyone have plans? I worry about making someting to get to lift points and then to find out that it isn't correctly made and lifts out of balance from front to rear. I would assume this is a common question but couldn't find in forum. This is a great thing you guys got here, hope it goes on for ever. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

have the same problem with the lift I use for my harley. I suppose you can put blocks so as to not push against the mufflers, but I haven't tried that, and, as my bike has a sidecar, it is not as big a deal. hopefully you will get some suggestions

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

tinindian wrote:
Just purchased a motorcycle jack for my GL1200 form Sears. Well I am sure most of you know my question already. How do I lift this thing up. Do I need to weld up a bracket to mount on the lift to protect my bike? If so has anyone have plans? I worry about making someting to get to lift points and then to find out that it isn't correctly made and lifts out of balance from front to rear. I would assume this is a common question but couldn't find in forum. This is a great thing you guys got here, hope it goes on for ever. Thanks
On my 1200 I was able to get the left bar of the lift to go under the middle of the centerstand legs, i.e. halfway between the foot and pivot, and the other bar caught the front of engine case. This spread out the weight of the bike enough that I never saw any damage to the pipes. Depending on your jack you might have to slip the jack as far under the bike as you can, then pull the bike up to vertical from the side stand and slide the jack the rest of the way under.

If you just start the bike up on the stand, just lift it enough to stand upright on the lift, not actually lift it off the ground you can look underneath and see if it's going to hit something bendy. If that's the case it's easy to make a wooden piece or two, to act as a spacer or pad. That will make it a bit harder to get the bike on the lift so make it as thin as possible if you need something under there. I never bent a header or dented one but it did make me nervous the first couple times I put her on the lift. After experiencing a few earthquakes over the years and one here in WA where I live, I don't like to leave the bike on the lift overnight, don't even like to leave it on the centerstand in the garage. More stable on the side stand.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Exavid wrote:
After experiencing a few earthquakes over the years and one here in WA where I live, I don't like to leave the bike on the lift overnight, don't even like to leave it on the centerstand in the garage. More stable on the side stand.
Hey Paul,

Have you ever been riding when an earthquake occured? Bet that would be hairy.

dean_3326 :12red::12red::12red::12red::12red::12red::12red:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

tinindian wrote:
Just purchased a motorcycle jack for my GL1200 form Sears.This is a great thing you guys got here, hope it goes on for ever. Thanks
Hey tinindian :waving: Your very welcome to the best forum on the net and please visit often. :clapper:I dont know anything about the sears lift, :stumped:but a friend of mine uses a Table Lift and he just parks the :18red:eek:n it, and up she goes.

:walker: :18red: :walker:

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks guys and girls if any of the ladies wrote. I will try some wood spacers and use the kiss method.;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.